Author Topic: So have the celtics now convinced dwight to come here?  (Read 9187 times)

Re: So have the celtics now convinced dwight to come here?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Since Boston is not as an attractive location as others it will be Doc and the payday that lures free agents here.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Good point re Rondo / Pierce / Howard being the next big three. If Howard came here, which I do agree is a real long shot, that would be the next big three for two more seasons after this.

At that point, we'd have Pierce's money to sign the best available small forward, or other piece to pair with Howard.

Meanwhile, Howard and KG (even at 36), would be a very, very, very, scary defensive line. KG will improve Howard's defense dramatically just through communication.

Howard, KG & Pierce next year, if it happened? Look out below...

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
To answer the question though -

He either wants to join us or go somewhere else where he feels like he will be able to stick it to us for the next 10 years...

I doubt there is anything in between with regards to his thoughts about the Boston Celtics.

:)

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
The Celtics aren't even on his list of preferred trade destinations. 

God, I am so sick of hearing this.

I am not saying Dwight is going to come to Boston; there are a number of reasons I don't think it's the case, but the idea that he doesn't consider it as a possible destination is absurd and verifiably false.

And please, will people stop bringing up this mythical list? Does anyone have this list? Has anyone seen this list? No, because it doesn't exist. Sure, Dwight has some teams that may or may not be his favorites (though he flip-flops daily, so it is idiotic to assume you know what he wants). But he has made it very clear that the two things he wants are money and a championship. There are only a handful of teams in the league that can offer that; Boston is one of them. Does that mean it is his #1? No.

But please, stop pretending you have some sort of special magical access to a list he hand-wrote that nobody else in the entire sports world has seen.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Like Lebron and Bosh, I believe Dwight has already decided where he wants to play.  I obviously dont know where that is, only he does, but I dont think it's Boston
Greg

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Major TP to "RyNye". I do think it's a long shot that he ends up here and if he doesn't it isn't the end of the world.

That being said, I think any major talent that looks at Boston's overall situation - simply looking at, for example,  Howard pairing with Pierce and Rondo for the next two years, has to look good.

Then when you add in KG and Ray most likley coming back reduced, two draft picks to add to a good, young, tough crop of players and possibly Green, Pietrus and Bass...

Doc / Boston / cap space when Pierce comes off - how can Boston not at least be a "consideration".

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I am not saying Dwight is going to come to Boston; there are a number of reasons I don't think it's the case, but the idea that he doesn't consider it as a possible destination is absurd and verifiably false.

And please, will people stop bringing up this mythical list? Does anyone have this list? Has anyone seen this list? No, because it doesn't exist. Sure, Dwight has some teams that may or may not be his favorites (though he flip-flops daily, so it is idiotic to assume you know what he wants). But he has made it very clear that the two things he wants are money and a championship. There are only a handful of teams in the league that can offer that; Boston is one of them. Does that mean it is his #1? No.

But please, stop pretending you have some sort of special magical access to a list he hand-wrote that nobody else in the entire sports world has seen.
TP. Took the words right out of my mouth.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
no.

But his comments the other day were encouraging and it indicates he's open to the possibility at the very least, and doesn't poo poo the idea of playing in the shadow of some all time greats, like many seemed to think.

with Rondo, Boston offers a teammate who is better than anyone Dwight has ever had.  it offers the opportunity to get out of the absurdly limited offensive system ORL has had for a few years now (no offense to SVG intended, I like the guy, but c'mon, you chuck up 3's or go to Howard in the post, and that's it) His best team to date was with a slightly younger Turkoglu, a Jameer Nelson who many thought had a higher ceiling, and an overpaid but still effective Rashard Lewis.  I think with Rondo , Howard, hopefully Jeff Green and a declining but efficient big 3 it would be a very interesting team, but definitely with room to improve.

of course he could also go to the Lakers and provide a great punching bag to replace kobe for years to come, as well

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Don't know about the Celtics, but Dwight has now convinced me that we can do better with all that cap space.

How?
He's been an epic fail as an alpha dog in Orlando. He's unskilled offensively (and occasionally inconsistent defensively). And he rarely steps it up when the game is on the line.

Really, to me he looks more like Ben Wallace on steroids than the second coming of Shaq. But mostly, I dislike his clown demeanor and think it's a distraction.

Oh, and of course he's still a dirty player. I guess that doesn't help either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Why are you calling it a mythical list?  I thought it was pretty clear he had told Orlando's GM that the teams he wants to go to are Jersey(Brooklyn), Lakers, Dallas and Clippers?  Otis Smith has seemingly verified this, no?

Magic general manager Otis Smith said Dwight Howard's camp has not informed him that the superstar center has expanded his list of preferred destinations beyond the Dallas Mavericks, the Los Angeles Lakers and the New Jersey Nets.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218386/Magic_GM_Otis_Smith_Confirms_Howard_Has_Not_Expanded_Trade_List#ixzz1kh9Ak2rC

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

You would think this guy is his AGENT with how so sure he is of Dwight's thinking ::)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

You would think this guy is his AGENT with how so sure he is of Dwight's thinking ::)
Yep...

Look... lets say Dwight makes it to free agency without first getting traded to the Lakers for Bynum (put money on it... come the trade deadline that guy is GONE to one of his preferred destinations.  Orlando isn't losing him for nothing if they can get talent back... even if it means getting Brook Lopez from the Nets)

Of COURSE he would take the call from Ainge.  What is he supposed to say right now?  "NO WAY!... F Danny Ainge and F Boston!"...  OF COURSE he is keeping his options open.  If between now and then we trade Pierce for Paul George and cap space, we start the offseason by signing Deron Williams and trade Rondo for Josh Smith... a Deron, Smith, George, three 1st round picks Celtic team is an intriguing young squad for Dwight to join.  Certainly he'd take that call.   But if you're expecting Dwight to come to Boston where he'd be surrounded by nothing more than Rondo and a 35 year old Pierce... you're kidding yourself. 

I bet if a Suns writer asked Dwight point-blank right now, "Would you take a call from the Suns in the offseason?" his response would be about the same.  "The Suns are a great organization... I'd definitely have to listen to what they had to offer"... much adoo about nothing.  Celtics are no more likely than the Suns. 

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Yep...

Look... lets say Dwight makes it to free agency without first getting traded to the Lakers for Bynum (put money on it... come the trade deadline that guy is GONE to one of his preferred destinations.  Orlando isn't losing him for nothing if they can get talent back... even if it means getting Brook Lopez from the Nets)

Of COURSE he would take the call from Ainge.  What is he supposed to say right now?  "NO WAY!... F Danny Ainge and F Boston!"...  OF COURSE he is keeping his options open.  If between now and then we trade Pierce for Paul George and cap space, we start the offseason by signing Deron Williams and trade Rondo for Josh Smith... a Deron, Smith, George, three 1st round picks Celtic team is an intriguing young squad for Dwight to join.  Certainly he'd take that call.   But if you're expecting Dwight to come to Boston where he'd be surrounded by nothing more than Rondo and a 35 year old Pierce... you're kidding yourself. 

What's so much better about Dallas? Playing with a 34 year old Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion and Roddy Beaubois?  Or New Jersey with Deron Williams and Petro/Shawne Williams/Farmar/Morrow?  Or LA with a 34-year old Kobe (assuming the Magic hold firm on their request of Gasol and Bynum)?

Rondo/Pierce are comparable talent-wise to the situations that Dwight has expressed interest in.  If Dwight makes it to free agency, and Pierce/Rondo put together all-star campaigns, the C's should be very competitive.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And please, will people stop bringing up this mythical list? Does anyone have this list? Has anyone seen this list? No, because it doesn't exist.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1026838-nba-rumors-dwight-howard-reportedly-adds-la-clippers-to-wishlist

Dwight Howard now reportedly has two LA teams on his wish list. The Clippers have joined the Lakers as a desired Hollywood-area location for the impending free agent and game's best center.

Chris Sheridan of SheridanHoops.com reported that the website "learned" that Howard has added the Clippers to the list of teams he would like to be traded to. He goes onto state that a source offered this insight into Howard's thinking:

He’s been watching them a lot. He’s intrigued by the Clippers.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/16/dwight-howard-clippers/

NEW YORK — Dwight Howard now has a fourth team on his wish list: The Los Angeles Clippers.

SheridanHoops.com learned exclusively Monday that Howard recently expanded his list of preferred future destinations, adding the Clippers to a list that already included the Nets, the Mavericks and the Lakers.

“He’s been watching them a lot. He’s intrigued by the Clippers,” said the source, who is privy to the trade talks that have taken place between all of the aforementioned teams.

Dwight Howard is under contract for the Magic. He can not openly come out and state who is on his wish list of teams to be traded to or to be signing on with during the off season. His team mates would rebel against him and it would be a media relations nightmare for him, painting him as the bad guy, something he doesn't want because he wants to do things other than basketball and will need to sell his brand.

So either he or his agent exclusively leak the info to one of the most credible and reliable NBA writers out there in Chris Sheridan.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yep...

What's so much better about Dallas? Playing with a 34 year old Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion and Roddy Beaubois?  Or New Jersey with Deron Williams and Petro/Shawne Williams/Farmar/Morrow?  Or LA with a 34-year old Kobe (assuming the Magic hold firm on their request of Gasol and Bynum)?

Rondo/Pierce are comparable talent-wise to the situations that Dwight has expressed interest in.  If Dwight makes it to free agency, and Pierce/Rondo put together all-star campaigns, the C's should be very competitive.
I hear what you're saying.  Sorta makes sense on some level. 

Supposedly Dallas it trying to free enough cap space to sign both Deron AND Dwight.  Everyone loves playing on Cuban's team.  Best owner in sports.  You get the sense they will always be competitive.  He will always spend money to win.

I think he goes to LA, because he's an LA kinda guy.  Dwight is already too Hollywood for Boston.  That punk has Laker blood coursing through his veins.  Everyone always wants to join the Lakers.  33 year old Kobe is averaging over 30 points right now and 31 year old Pau Gasol is the most skilled big man in the game.  He'd be a perfect fit there.  If I'm looking from this without a Boston-slanted perspective... living in La La Land, being a mega celebrity and playing with those two is a lot more appealing than joining Rondo and 35 year old Pierce in Boston.

Brooklyn would be intriguing as well if they keep Deron... and Deron will stay if Dwight joins him.  Brooklyn will have a lot of hype next year and Dwight would be at the center of a brand new major market team.