Author Topic: Bass/Wilcox for Lamar Odom  (Read 1639 times)

Bass/Wilcox for Lamar Odom
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:31:33 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Dallas is off to a horrendous start offensively (23rd in the league in offensive rating), in large part due to the struggles of Lamar Odom.  19 games into the season, LO is shooting 33% from the field, 24% from deep and 59% from the line.  And it's not like he's not shooting a lot: he's 7th on the team in minutes, but 4th in FGAs.  He's also averaging a career-low 21 mpg, as Dallas is using him more as a traditional back-up 4, instead of the 6th man role he had in LA.  The only time he gets to play alongside Dirk, in fact, is as a 3 (which I believe is contributing to his offensive struggles: shooting too many threes/jumpers).

Meanwhile, Boston is using Brandon Bass as a 6th man for the first time in his career.  Other than that last chaotic season in Orlando (when half the big man rotation got shipped out for wings and guards and Bass and Anderson flip-flopped as the starter) he's played back-up 4 minutes (averages 19 for his career).  This season Boston is playing him near starter minutes (28mpg) and asking more from him offensively than at any other point in his career.

I can't think of a better role swap.  The Mavs get back Bass to play the 20 mpg scoring role he thrived in '08 & '09 and the C's get Odom to reprise the 30mpg 6th man role he played in LA.

An additional benefit for the Mavs would be the likely cap savings of the $2.4 mil in Odom's buyout next year with Bass almost guaranteed to opt out of his $4 mil option.   

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Re: Bass/Wilcox for Lamar Odom
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Unless they're throwing in Mahinmi or Beaubois, I'm not interested.  If they are, I'm listening.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Unless they're throwing in Mahinmi or Beaubois, I'm not interested.  If they are, I'm listening.
Agreed
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Why wouldn't you be interested?

And.why would those guys interest you? They suck

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97

Why would we want to trade our best bench player (and one of the three most efficient players on the team, according to some advanced metrics), for the WORST player on another team?

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Why would we want to trade our best bench player (and one of the three most efficient players on the team, according to some advanced metrics), for the WORST player on another team?

Maybe im the only one that thinks LO has been better than Bass over the years by wide margin.

Some people are just shocking. Most people don't base their decisions off of.10 games.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Beaubois and Mahinmi have both put up very good numbers in short minutes.  They're both very efficient players who have shown the ability to be productive if given larger roles.  They're also young and have potential to improve. 

In other words, either one is exactly the kind of player you want to acquire if you're entering rebuilding.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Selling high on Bass and buying low on Odom.  The gamble is that Odom can return to form by the playoffs. The added benefit is that if Odom does return to form, he'd be an affordable short-term KG replacement next year ($8.2 mil if we keep him).

I love Odom and I think he'd be a great fit here.  The ball gravitates to bigs on the perimeter so much in Docs offense that someone with Odom's full range of skills would be a god send.  Further, his defensive quality has been well established and would form a great bridge between KG and JO, as it did between Pau and Bynum. 

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Beaubois and Mahinmi have both put up very good numbers in short minutes.  They're both very efficient players who have shown the ability to be productive if given larger roles.  They're also young and have potential to improve. 

In other words, either one is exactly the kind of player you want to acquire if you're entering rebuilding.

Might be able to get Mahinmi thrown in if Wilcox starts playing well.

Still, I think Bass/Wilcox is already stretching it value wise for the C's.  Everyone in the league knows that Odom is better than he's playing. I'm just hoping he's available because he's been a disappointment so far, and Dallas doesn't seem to be utilizing him in a a way (based on his mpg, role) that would make them value him much more than Bass/Wilcox.