Author Topic: centers for this year or next  (Read 4768 times)

centers for this year or next
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
my wish list of centers rated 0-10 on how much i think they could help
first centers we could acquire this year:
j thompson (headcase) 5 or 6
cousins (bigger headcase) 5 or 6
a varejao 8
e katner 5
okafor 8 or 9
kaveman 7 (check out his espn pic, black eye and all)
koufos 3

centers to pursue this summer (my ratings are different because these are guys we would have to build around)
howard 11
hibbard 8
mcgee 3
a jefferson 6 (s&t)
g monroe 4
camby 3 getting old)
the lopezes
take your pick offense or defense 4 or 5

comments?
additions?

Re: centers for this year or next
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I like Hibbert but Indiana likes him too so they won't let him walk cheap.  McGee is possible because Washington is a mess, as long as his mom doesn't come with him I am all for it.  They'll both get somewhere in the DeAndre Jordan range for money so they are costly.  Hawes is looking pretty good so far and is still young, and I wish there was a way to take a flier on Oden for cheap but I bet Portland or someone else pays him more than "experiment" money.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I like Hibbert but Indiana likes him too so they won't let him walk cheap.  McGee is possible because Washington is a mess, as long as his mom doesn't come with him I am all for it.  They'll both get somewhere in the DeAndre Jordan range for money so they are costly.  Hawes is looking pretty good so far and is still young, and I wish there was a way to take a flier on Oden for cheap but I bet Portland or someone else pays him more than "experiment" money.

hawes is playing well.  at a reasonable price he could help, though his defense worries me. outside of howard hibbard seems like the best defensive center available.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
for the rebuilding process, the center that makes the most sense to me in terms of what we'd have to spend and the potential for a positive return on our investment (increase his worth while playing for us) is Ian Mahinmi.

The other players you've mentioned would be way too expensive, and most likely won't leave the team they're on right now anyway unless totally overpaid.

If we could pull off a trade for a young player like Kanter or Favors, that would be amazing, but it's hard to see their team trading them before cultivating their value.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
for the rebuilding process, the center that makes the most sense to me in terms of what we'd have to spend and the potential for a positive return on our investment (increase his worth while playing for us) is Ian Mahinmi.

The other players you've mentioned would be way too expensive, and most likely won't leave the team they're on right now anyway unless totally overpaid.

If we could pull off a trade for a young player like Kanter or Favors, that would be amazing, but it's hard to see their team trading them before cultivating their value.

we could possibly get Kanter from utah. if they are making a strong playoff push they may be willing to trade Kanter's potential for a serious upgrade at shooting guard. Kanter and bell for allen works.
Kanter would  upgrade the center position for us this season as a back up, spot starter behind Jo. his longterm potential helps us bridge to the future as rebuilding centerpiece or trade chip.

I think we could continue to compete with bell, dooling, sasha and pietrus sharing duties at the 2.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

we could possibly get Kanter from utah. if they are making a strong playoff push they may be willing to trade Kanter's potential for a serious upgrade at shooting guard. Kanter and bell for allen works.
Kanter would  upgrade the center position for us this season as a back up, spot starter behind Jo. his longterm potential helps us bridge to the future as rebuilding centerpiece or trade chip.

I think we could continue to compete with bell, dooling, sasha and pietrus sharing duties at the 2.

I'd be all over a trade of Allen for Kanter, even if we had to throw in our two first round picks for this season. 

I have serious doubts that Utah values Kanter so little, though.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'd be all over a trade of Allen for Kanter, even if we had to throw in our two first round picks for this season. 

with the depth they have at pf and center and their surprising return to playoff relevance i think they may be willing to trade potential for a proven playoff tested vet of allen's caliber.

a deep playoff run could really help turn utah's young untested team into a perennial contender.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

with the depth they have at pf and center and their surprising return to playoff relevance i think they may be willing to trade potential for a proven playoff tested vet of allen's caliber.

a deep playoff run could really help turn utah's young untested team into a perennial contender.

well, if they're dumb enough to think Harris, Millsap, and Big Al can be the core of a perennial contender, then by all means we should take advantage of that stupidity.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Kanter would  upgrade the center position for us this season as a back up, spot starter behind Jo. his longterm potential helps us bridge to the future as rebuilding centerpiece or trade chip.

well, if they're dumb enough to think Harris, Millsap, and Big Al can be the core of a perennial contender, then by all means we should take advantage of that stupidity.

and favors, haywood and burks
(harris is a fa in 13. could they convince a good youg pg to play with
al, favors, haywood, burks and millsap? you bet.

(and yes "perennial contender" may be a bit of hyperbole. I do think that bunch could be a step above teams like memphis and atlanta (just outside true contender status)

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97

I agree the Utah Jazz are pretty dumb. I mean, look at the way they have been distributing minutes:

http://www.thenbageek.com/teams/uth

The most minutes are going to C.J. Miles, Alec Burks, Josh Howard, Al Jefferson, and Paul Millsap. You might not like Millsap, but he IS having a career season, and is playing extremely well. However, the other 4 I just listed are all mediocre to terrible. But then they have players like Kanter, Earl Watson, Jeremy Evans, and Jamaal Tinsley, who are putting up numbers but getting NO minutes.

I say we fleece them. Jerry Sloan is an idiot anyway (honestly, most overrated coach ever), so we might as well use it to our advantage to get their good players out from under them.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I agree the Utah Jazz are pretty dumb. I mean, look at the way they have been distributing minutes:

The most minutes are going to C.J. Miles, Alec Burks, Josh Howard, Al Jefferson, and Paul Millsap. You might not like Millsap, but he IS having a career season, and is playing extremely well. However, the other 4 I just listed are all mediocre to terrible. But then they have players like Kanter, Earl Watson, Jeremy Evans, and Jamaal Tinsley, who are putting up numbers but getting NO minutes.

I say we fleece them. Jerry Sloan is an idiot anyway (honestly, most overrated coach ever), so we might as well use it to our advantage to get their good players out from under them.

Sloan isn't coaching there anymore.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

sloan's biggest mistake IMO has been letting tinsley do all of the play calling.  beyond that he has completely undermined kanter's leadership on the team.  as soon as malone and stockton are healthy they'll turn it around though.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not mind using Kaman for a year.  But he would not be ideal at his age.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Either we got to have  pair of  7 ft young guys from draft or we'll have to stock up on old guys ( we'll need about "six") to make it though the year. ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:51:13 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I would look to either

Omer Asik

Ian Mahinmi

Asik would be my choice solely for his rebounding, He could very well be a 10-12 rebound a game guy when given starters minutes. His current per 40 min averages are 13.5 rbs and 3.2 blocks so per 32 mines he would be at 11 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. His lack of offense wouldn't be a problem as perk showed us a team can win without an offensive center. His size 7' 255 and rebounding would allow us to play a more finesse face up 4 along side him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet