Now who's better? Manning or Brady?

Peyton Manning
12 (20%)
Tom Brady
44 (73.3%)
Eli
4 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Now who's better? Manning or Brady?  (Read 29173 times)

Re: Now who's better? Manning or Brady?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Incidentally, We have now defeated a team with a winning record.

... although they sort of beat themselves in the last 30 seconds there.  Between Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff, the Ravens have a couple of goats.

I have a hard time understanding the logic that a single player lost the game based on one play when a game is based on the efforts of multiple players and multiple plays. Just because a play happens at the end of the game doesn't excuse the penalties, missed tackles or missed throws that other players on the team made earlier in the game.

It's sort of like when players blame a ref for losing a game because of a bad call at the end of a game. If you wouldn't have put the ref in that situation to begin with by making less mistakes earlier in the game, you wouldn't be in that position... simply that bad call was just one more reason why they lost.

My point is that the Patriots won this game just as much as the Ravens lost.

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

... although they sort of beat themselves in the last 30 seconds there.  Between Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff, the Ravens have a couple of goats.

I have a hard time understanding the logic that a single player lost the game based on one play when a game is based on the efforts of multiple players and multiple plays. Just because a play happens at the end of the game doesn't excuse the penalties, missed tackles or missed throws that other players on the team made earlier in the game.

It's sort of like when players blame a ref for losing a game because of a bad call at the end of a game. If you wouldn't have put the ref in that situation to begin with by making less mistakes earlier in the game, you wouldn't be in that position... simply that bad call was just one more reason why they lost.

Eh...  If Lee Evans makes that easy catch, the Ravens win.  We don't need to get too philosophical about things.  That one play was the key difference maker that determined a win and a loss.

Billy Cundiff is responsible for the game not going into overtime, but it's impossible to say who would have won.  Evans lost it, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe just to double check we should post a Dan Marino vs Joe Montana poll.

Seriously. Has this ever happened before in sports where one guy did way more winning than his rival, but people continued to suggest they might be equal?

Are there people out there that still think Patrick Ewing is about equal to MJ?

How many more Super Bowls does Tom Brady need to get to, or win, before this is done?

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7

Eh...  If Lee Evans makes that easy catch, the Ravens win.  We don't need to get too philosophical about things.  That one play was the key difference maker that determined a win and a loss.

Billy Cundiff is responsible for the game not going into overtime, but it's impossible to say who would have won.  Evans lost it, though.

Honestly I thought it was a good defensive play by Moore to knock the ball away after being beat down the field. I certainly wouldn't call it an easy catch by any means. I think it's logical more than philosophical to say that a game is a sum of it's parts but maybe I'm just thinking too much.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I used to think they were about equal - Tom winning big in the playoffs, but lacking in stats and Peyton putting up monster numbers, but unable to perform in the playoffs.

But, in recent years, Tom has been every bit as good of a statistical qb that Peyton ever was and he still has all of those superbowl appearances / wins. I get that Tom had a great defense in his early years, but he was so cool under pressure and really played well in the Patriots system.

With a win two weeks from now, Tom will have a resume that could easily have him going down as the best qb in history.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If I had a team and had to pick one for my QB it be Manning.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If I had a team and had to pick one for my QB it be Manning.
Which one? The one that's not that good, or the one that the jury is still out on?

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
I'll say manning is better. Brady has had the benefit of a stronger team around him. Look at the 2011 Colts w/o Manning and then the 2008 Patriots w/o Brady. Huge difference.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
you gotta wonder how many Indy fans wish they'd had Brady cause no Pats fans wish we had Peyton

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

No, if Evans makes that catch, the Ravens go up by 4 points (assuming Cundiff doesn't shank the PAT).

22 seconds on the clock is time enough for Brady to try a hail mary or two.

As a Giants fan, I know you can appreciate that
;)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The Patriots did many things well. One of them was containing Ray Rice.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
you gotta wonder how many Indy fans wish they'd had Brady cause no Pats fans wish we had Peyton

... and no Pats fans wish they had Jim Caldwell (or frankly Tony Dungy) or the Indy defense, either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

... and no Pats fans wish they had Jim Caldwell (or frankly Tony Dungy) or the Indy defense, either.

Yup.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

the Pats lost coach (Weis) after coach (Crennel) after coach (Mangini) after coach (McDaniels) after coach (Bill O'B)

People have forgotten the multiple pro bowlers Peyton played with on defense and on his o-line, and his kicker, and Joseph Addai
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:11:09 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »

Offline galvinx10

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
To be honest, the last few years, the Patriots have been very similar to the Colts with Peyton. Very successful in the regular season and then losing in the playoffs. It is extremely hard to win in the playoffs without a good defense, and Peyton has had that working against him his whole career.

Also, I just feel that the throws that Peyton makes have a higher level of difficulty. Tom plays in a system where he throws a lot of short passes that get a lot of YAC, whereas Peyton throws down the field more. I'm not saying that Tom can't make these throws, but more that Peyton has proven he can make these throws on a more consistent basis.