Author Topic: Jarnell Stokes is going to be a all-star in the NBA , Hope the C's draft him  (Read 23243 times)

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Bump

I still like this stokes kid a lot

In the first half againts Kentucky (Randle, WCS), he has put up a double double at halftime

The game is on CBS if anyone wants to catch the 2nd half, followed by Duke, and then OK St vs Kansas, so today is a good day to watch college bball prospects on CBS.

Would be more than happy to grab stokes with our 2nd pick if he enters the draft

The problem is we don't have any 2nd round picks this year and it would be quite a reach if we use our 2nd first rounder for him. Also, we already have a logjam at PF position with Sullinger and Klynyk.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hats off to RondoHondo!!  I was thoroughly impressed with this kid today vs. a solid KY frontline!!  He is a beast.  Grab an early second rounder NOW Danny:-))

Smitty77

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I'm not sure what I think of Stokes. 

He has one sure NBA skill:  rebounding.  Very good on the glass on both ends.  The problem is, I'm not sure what else he does.  He doesn't have the tools to be a very good defender, and his offensive game is an enigma.  He flashes several things (driving, shoot from 15-18 feet, passing, scoring with either hand in the post) that make you salivate, but these things are fairly rare and I don't know why. 

I wonder if his coach is holding him back in that area of his game,  He seems to want him to just bully his defender in the paint.  That won't always work, and based on his scouting reports in high school (I've followed Stokes for a while) it may not even be what he's best at.  So we'll see.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Has anyone else been watching this kid in the tourney? He has been a beast in the 2 rounds so far.

Vs Umass 26pts,14 reb,2 ast
Vs Mercer 17pts,18reb,5 ast

He is physically stronger than anyone in college , and has an awesome soft touch around the rim. He is basically Sully without the back concerns and maybe slightly more athletic.

Will he enter the draft this year? If so where do you think he goes?

Would love to grab him with our 2nd pick this year.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's certainly playing very well, as is his rebounding-cohort Jeronne Maymon -- who I might like better, actually.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Has anyone else been watching this kid in the tourney? He has been a beast in the 2 rounds so far.

He is physically stronger than anyone in college , and has an awesome soft touch around the rim. He is basically Sully without the back concerns and maybe slightly more athletic.

Wait, Sully without the back issues and with more athleticism sounds like a top 5-10 pick in the draft.... I haven't seen Stokes play, yet your comp sounds like it goes against draft projections.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Wait, Sully without the back issues and with more athleticism sounds like a top 5-10 pick in the draft.... I haven't seen Stokes play, yet your comp sounds like it goes against draft projections.

Exactly. Draft Express has him going #50 meaning he could very well go undrafted.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We already had BBD, I see stokes as the same kid of player in the pros.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
We already had BBD, I see stokes as the same kid of player in the pros.

Yeah, based on highlights, he looks like a slower version of BBD. Davis was super strong and a force in the paint at LSU. I dont see the same nimble speed in Stokes though.

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I've watched Stokes a lot.  Sully is a decent comp for him in some ways.  Stokes is a tad more athletic, but I think Sully is actually a bit longer.  Neither is a major defensive presence, though both put in the effort.  I think Stokes is actually a better rebounder (which is saying something), but he hasn't displayed the offensive skillset that Sully has.  I think he does have a jumpshot that he isn't allowed to use much (his coach limits him in that respect), but he certainly won't be taking threes anytime soon like Sully does. 

Aside from size, Glen Davis and Stokes don't play all that similarly.  Stokes knows he's a paint presence, while Davis wants to play like a guard.  Stokes is an elite rebounder - arguably the best in college this year. 

If you accept my evaluation of Stokes as Sullinger with less (apparent) offensive game, then I think an early-to-mid 2nd-round grade makes sense for him.  I think he can be a good bench big, and there's some added upside there depending on whether he has a wider offensive game than he has consistently shown (he flashes certain skills occasionally that make me wonder if this is the case, but that's all they are - flashes). 

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If stokes is a second round pick, why draft him in the mid first? Make a deal in the 2nd round for him. Personally I believe there is a TON of quality 2nd round picks.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Granted the SEC has eight guys on their All SEC team but he doesn't get much love in this article besides making the team:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/249805/2014-sec-mens-basketball-awards-announced.aspx

I like in the SEC, I respect him as a good player.  He is a load but he is a tweener.  He can't protect the rim and is exactly the kind of big we don't need.   A strong guy in college who will be average strength in the NBA because almost everyone is strong.   

I would be looking to get back into the Second Round this year as well.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I've watched Stokes a lot.  Sully is a decent comp for him in some ways.  Stokes is a tad more athletic, but I think Sully is actually a bit longer.  Neither is a major defensive presence, though both put in the effort.  I think Stokes is actually a better rebounder (which is saying something), but he hasn't displayed the offensive skillset that Sully has.  I think he does have a jumpshot that he isn't allowed to use much (his coach limits him in that respect), but he certainly won't be taking threes anytime soon like Sully does. 

Aside from size, Glen Davis and Stokes don't play all that similarly.  Stokes knows he's a paint presence, while Davis wants to play like a guard.  Stokes is an elite rebounder - arguably the best in college this year. 

If you accept my evaluation of Stokes as Sullinger with less (apparent) offensive game, then I think an early-to-mid 2nd-round grade makes sense for him.  I think he can be a good bench big, and there's some added upside there depending on whether he has a wider offensive game than he has consistently shown (he flashes certain skills occasionally that make me wonder if this is the case, but that's all they are - flashes).

I 100% agree with your evaluation of Stokes.

That being said he is obviously a poor fit with the current Cs roster. I think he would be a perfect fit on the Bulls especially if they amnesty boozer. The Bulls first round pick would be a stretch for Stokes but he seems like a great prospect for them to trading into the early 2nd to grab. His rebounding and inside play would be a nice compliment to Noah and Gibson off the bench.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Really, really good rebounder?  We could use that off the bench.  Hopefully we can buy a 2nd round pick.  If Hump doesn't come back, Stokes for a 2nd rounder would be nice.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

Thanks for confirming your evaluation  and expertise applies to only  NBA Glen Davis.  In college, he played down low most of the time and bulled people with his strength just like Stokes.  In the NBA he has had to adapt because he is a tweener.   So will Stokes because everyone will be strong and he is not an elite leaper nor tall enough to shoot over people.   He can carve out space like Sully does but he is not as adept as Sully at using his body.  Hence, he will flame out in the pros or adapt like Davis did as he does not have the footwork of Sullinger.

Sully and Davis were better scorers than Stokes by almost 2 PPG.   Stokes is on the same level as Davis on the boards at 10.6 RPG and 10.4 RPG respectively.  Sully was the best shot blocker of the three and Sully at second at that one.   Davis was the best passer of the three in school with 2.3 APG as at his last year.  I would have bet the farm on Sully being the best passer as he is so good in the NBA but I would have been wrong.

A hot tournament doth not a pro maketh....