Author Topic: Jarnell Stokes is going to be a all-star in the NBA , Hope the C's draft him  (Read 23328 times)

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I've watched Stokes a lot.  Sully is a decent comp for him in some ways.  Stokes is a tad more athletic, but I think Sully is actually a bit longer.  Neither is a major defensive presence, though both put in the effort.  I think Stokes is actually a better rebounder (which is saying something), but he hasn't displayed the offensive skillset that Sully has.  I think he does have a jumpshot that he isn't allowed to use much (his coach limits him in that respect), but he certainly won't be taking threes anytime soon like Sully does. 

Aside from size, Glen Davis and Stokes don't play all that similarly.  Stokes knows he's a paint presence, while Davis wants to play like a guard.  Stokes is an elite rebounder - arguably the best in college this year. 

If you accept my evaluation of Stokes as Sullinger with less (apparent) offensive game, then I think an early-to-mid 2nd-round grade makes sense for him.  I think he can be a good bench big, and there's some added upside there depending on whether he has a wider offensive game than he has consistently shown (he flashes certain skills occasionally that make me wonder if this is the case, but that's all they are - flashes).

I 100% agree with your evaluation of Stokes.

That being said he is obviously a poor fit with the current Cs roster. I think he would be a perfect fit on the Bulls especially if they amnesty boozer. The Bulls first round pick would be a stretch for Stokes but he seems like a great prospect for them to trading into the early 2nd to grab. His rebounding and inside play would be a nice compliment to Noah and Gibson off the bench.

Great rebounder with no offensive game??? off the bench??? Reggie Evans anybody??

sign me up for a second

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
I've watched Stokes a lot.  Sully is a decent comp for him in some ways.  Stokes is a tad more athletic, but I think Sully is actually a bit longer.  Neither is a major defensive presence, though both put in the effort.  I think Stokes is actually a better rebounder (which is saying something), but he hasn't displayed the offensive skillset that Sully has.  I think he does have a jumpshot that he isn't allowed to use much (his coach limits him in that respect), but he certainly won't be taking threes anytime soon like Sully does. 

Aside from size, Glen Davis and Stokes don't play all that similarly.  Stokes knows he's a paint presence, while Davis wants to play like a guard.  Stokes is an elite rebounder - arguably the best in college this year. 

If you accept my evaluation of Stokes as Sullinger with less (apparent) offensive game, then I think an early-to-mid 2nd-round grade makes sense for him.  I think he can be a good bench big, and there's some added upside there depending on whether he has a wider offensive game than he has consistently shown (he flashes certain skills occasionally that make me wonder if this is the case, but that's all they are - flashes).

That being said he is obviously a poor fit with the current Cs roster. I think he would be a perfect fit on the Bulls especially if they amnesty boozer. The Bulls first round pick would be a stretch for Stokes but he seems like a great prospect for them to trading into the early 2nd to grab. His rebounding and inside play would be a nice compliment to Noah and Gibson off the bench.

Great rebounder with no offensive game??? off the bench??? Reggie Evans anybody??

sign me up for a second

He's far more talented than Reggie Evans on offense.  He can play on offense; against one-on-one defense at this level he'll score, and if he doesn't he has a great chance of getting his own miss. His issue is that he doesn't deal with double-teams very effectively at times and this UT team rarely has the spacing to consistently allow him those one-on-one opportunities.  I also believe he has more of a midrange game than he's allowed to use - I've seen him hit 15-footers and utilize straight-line drives very effectively.  Not sure why he doesn't do it more often.

I think he's an NBA player, but likely a bench guy for a team that needs a presence on the glass.  I agree with CFAN that he doesn't fit Boston's roster well unless a lot of things change over the offseason.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would pass.

Another PF, and undersized at that, dont we have 2 of them already? Add to it a couple more.

He looks like a real good prospect. Physical and willing to board. But 6'8" PF, jeez I dont know... Can we use that pick for someone we need or with more upside instead?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

sign me up for a second

He's far more talented than Reggie Evans on offense.  He can play on offense; against one-on-one defense at this level he'll score, and if he doesn't he has a great chance of getting his own miss. His issue is that he doesn't deal with double-teams very effectively at times and this UT team rarely has the spacing to consistently allow him those one-on-one opportunities.  I also believe he has more of a midrange game than he's allowed to use - I've seen him hit 15-footers and utilize straight-line drives very effectively.  Not sure why he doesn't do it more often.

I think he's an NBA player, but likely a bench guy for a team that needs a presence on the glass.  I agree with CFAN that he doesn't fit Boston's roster well unless a lot of things change over the offseason.

that's fine with me...I like Reggie Evans. A great rebounder off the bench with a little offense is just a bonus.

I'm hearing people are saying his jump shot is limited by his coach? So not sure what to think of that, but what are the chances we can convert him to a SF? Or is that just not feasible?

From what I'm hearing, he is a great athlete. Saw his gamelogs, and is impressed that he is stepping up for Tennessee in March Madness. His rebounding numbers are sick.

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders

sign me up for a second

that's fine with me...I like Reggie Evans. A great rebounder off the bench with a little offense is just a bonus.

I'm hearing people are saying his jump shot is limited by his coach? So not sure what to think of that, but what are the chances we can convert him to a SF? Or is that just not feasible?

From what I'm hearing, he is a great athlete. Saw his gamelogs, and is impressed that he is stepping up for Tennessee in March Madness. His rebounding numbers are sick.

Nah, he's not nearly quick enough to play SF.

I say he may have a jumpshot because I've seen him make them... But his coach has a (too limited, in my opinion) role for him that requires him to bang underneath all game except for a precious few possessions.

In terms of athleticism, Sully is a decent comp for him - big body, quicker than he looks and will run the floor but not a leaper and will probably struggle guarding the perimeter.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

sign me up for a second

I say he may have a jumpshot because I've seen him make them... But his coach has a (too limited, in my opinion) role for him that requires him to bang underneath all game except for a precious few possessions.

In terms of athleticism, Sully is a decent comp for him - big body, quicker than he looks and will run the floor but not a leaper and will probably struggle guarding the perimeter.

in that case, should we still get him? Assuming we do get him, who leaves? Bass? Fav? cuz we are log jammed at PF right now, and with no legit center on the team

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders

in that case, should we still get him? Assuming we do get him, who leaves? Bass? Fav? cuz we are log jammed at PF right now, and with no legit center on the team

While I do really like Stokes as a player, I don't think he fits on the Celtics right now.  We already have Sully, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Celtics resign Humphries to a more affordable deal as well.  No real opportunity for him here.  We already have a couple of undersized tweener PF/Cs who rebound and throw their weight around in the paint.  Stokes can help somebody, but probably not us.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is not a bad  player but all star in the NBA, LOL, please.