Author Topic: Miami should trade Wade  (Read 16466 times)

Re: Miami should trade Wade
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Obviously I posted this last year before the Heat won the title, but the Wade thread got me to thinking. 

What about a Wade for Love swap?  Love obviously isn't happy in Minnesota and will seemingly opt out as soon as possible.  Wade is happy in Miami but is aging and was never a great fit next to James.  Both are all star players and both really fill a hole on the other team.  Miami really needs that banging rebounder down low and Love's outside shooting will mesh well with both Bosh and James.  Minnesota needs a veteran star that can be that go to player in crunch time and with Pekovic and AK47 can realistically trade a big for a small.

Obviously other pieces could be included like Barea/Ridnour going back to Miami for a "big" like say Lewis to help even out the respective rosters. 

So if Miami called Minnesota or vice versa, which team balks at the trade?
Minnesota.

Love worries them because he has an opt out in 2015-2016, Wade has an opt out a year earlier!

Beyond that Love's younger and will provide more if they can convince him to hang around.
It's more than just an ETO.  Love is visibly unhappy and that is never a good type of player to have around.  Minny obviously isn't going to just give him away, but I firmly believe that if they got good value back for him they would move him in an instant, even for a guy with an ETO like Wade has.  Certainly would be a calculated risk, but maybe Minny can get some other value back like getting rid of some bad contracts

This seemingly fits the bill

Minny - Wade, Haslem, Cole
Miami - Love, Ridnour, Roy (just to rid Minny of the contract)

That would leave Minnesota with
PG - Rubio, Barea, Cole
SG - Wade, Barea, Shved
SF - Kirilenko, Budinger (when back), Lee
PF - Haslem, Kirilenko, Williams, Cunningham/Admundson
C - Pekovic, Stiemer

And they can still move Williams to plug in some depth (maybe they try to bring in Pau for a 2/3 season run centered around Rubio, Wade, and Pau).

Miami would be
PG - Chalmers, Ridnour
SG - Allen, Ridnour, Roy (if he ever plays again which is unlikely)
SF - James, Miller, Jones
PF - Love, Battier, Lewis
C - Bosh, Anthony

I really think that would be a solid trade for both teams and inch both closer to a title (or in the case of miami keep them there longer).

You think that Minnesota team is legitimate contenders?  This team is inferior by leaps and bounds to the the real contenders like OKC and the new Heat.

I see almost no situation in which they make a deal centered around a Love-Wade swap.  They just don't have enough supporting pieces to contend in the same window as what Wade has left.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=awfmak6

Miami trades:  Wade
Miami gets:  Marc Gasol, Tony Allen

Minnesota trades:  Kirilenko, Pekovic
Minnesota gets:  Rudy Gay

Memphis trades:  Tony Allen, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol
Memphis gets:  Wade, AK, Pekovic

Miami gives up the most talent in this deal, but I like the fit for them.  (Add, I don't think this trade would ever happen.  I wonder if there's anything similar though)

So Miami would be:

PG: Chalmers, N.Cole
SG: T.Allen, R.Allen, J.Jones
SF: LeBron, S.Battier, M.Miller
PF: C.Bosh, U.Haslem, R.Lewis
C:  M.Gasol, J.Anthony

versus

SG: D-Wade, R.Allen
SF: LeBron, M.Miller, J.Jones
PF: Battier, R.Lewis, (U.Haslem)
C:  Bosh, J.Anthony, U.Haslem

Hmm ... need to think some more about that one.

(1) Not sure about Bosh and M.Gasol together. I don't really like that combination. I think Marc Gasol really benefits power players in the post but not so much with a finesse face up big like Bosh.

(2) I'd like to get a shooter alongside LeBron instead of a non-shooter like TA especially if switching to a more typical lineup.

A fearsome defensive team.

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Obviously I posted this last year before the Heat won the title, but the Wade thread got me to thinking. 

What about a Wade for Love swap?  Love obviously isn't happy in Minnesota and will seemingly opt out as soon as possible.  Wade is happy in Miami but is aging and was never a great fit next to James.  Both are all star players and both really fill a hole on the other team.  Miami really needs that banging rebounder down low and Love's outside shooting will mesh well with both Bosh and James.  Minnesota needs a veteran star that can be that go to player in crunch time and with Pekovic and AK47 can realistically trade a big for a small.

Obviously other pieces could be included like Barea/Ridnour going back to Miami for a "big" like say Lewis to help even out the respective rosters. 

So if Miami called Minnesota or vice versa, which team balks at the trade?
Minnesota.

Love worries them because he has an opt out in 2015-2016, Wade has an opt out a year earlier!

Beyond that Love's younger and will provide more if they can convince him to hang around.
It's more than just an ETO.  Love is visibly unhappy and that is never a good type of player to have around.  Minny obviously isn't going to just give him away, but I firmly believe that if they got good value back for him they would move him in an instant, even for a guy with an ETO like Wade has.  Certainly would be a calculated risk, but maybe Minny can get some other value back like getting rid of some bad contracts

This seemingly fits the bill

PG - Rubio, Barea, Cole
SG - Wade, Barea, Shved
C - Pekovic, Stiemer

And they can still move Williams to plug in some depth (maybe they try to bring in Pau for a 2/3 season run centered around Rubio, Wade, and Pau).

Miami would be
PG - Chalmers, Ridnour
SG - Allen, Ridnour, Roy (if he ever plays again which is unlikely)
SF - James, Miller, Jones
PF - Love, Battier, Lewis
C - Bosh, Anthony

I really think that would be a solid trade for both teams and inch both closer to a title (or in the case of miami keep them there longer).

You think that Minnesota team is legitimate contenders?  This team is inferior by leaps and bounds to the the real contenders like OKC and the new Heat.

I see almost no situation in which they make a deal centered around a Love-Wade swap.  They just don't have enough supporting pieces to contend in the same window as what Wade has left.
Love has a broken hand and isn't even playing right now and Rubio is just coming back.  I think if you added Wade to that team, that it is much closer to a title than they are right now.  Minnesota lacks that go to big time scorer.  They are a team with a bunch of dirty dogs, but they need that finesse player that has ice water in his veins at crunch time.  I think that Minnesota team, while not being quite at OKC's level, would give every team in the west fits.  Wade is that sort of game changing player, especially in the post season.  Put him with the young up and comers and the cagey vet in AK47, and yeah I think they could do some damage out west. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

PG - Rubio, Barea, Cole
SG - Wade, Barea, Shved
C - Pekovic, Stiemer

Very little jump-shooting between Rubio, Wade and Kirilenko.

Pekovic and/or Haslem don't provide much spacing either. Wade is actually the best jump-shooter in that starting five.

Not wild about any team relying on Haslem as a starter anymore. I think those days are behind him. Moving Kirilenko to the power forward position and starting Chase Budinger looks a good solution to me.

PG: Rubio
SG: Wade
SF: Budinger
PF: Kirilenko
C:  Pekovic

A lot more speed and quickness on the floor. More jump-shooting. Extra ball handling. Pekovic would have the paint to himself and be a lethal finisher inside whenever Wade or Rubio draws the help defenders. That would be a pretty mean team.

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Miami gives up the most talent in this deal, but I like the fit for them.  (Add, I don't think this trade would ever happen.  I wonder if there's anything similar though)

So Miami would be:

versus

(1) Not sure about Bosh and M.Gasol together. I don't really like that combination. I think Marc Gasol really benefits power players in the post but not so much with a finesse face up big like Bosh.

(2) I'd like to get a shooter alongside LeBron instead of a non-shooter like TA especially if switching to a more typical lineup.

I see what you're saying about (1) because of Memphis' style and Gasol's success there, but I think Marc and Bosh could play similarly together to how Marc and Pau played for Spain.  Also, this team still has a lot of very capable players on the wings though and I could see them playing some small ball still with Lebron at the 4 and a combination of Battier, Ray, Miller, TA playing the 2/3 spots.

(2)  This team already has a lot of shooters on the roster with Chalmers, Ray, Battier, Jones, Miller, Lewis and even Bosh.  I think that spreading the floor is wonderful (seriously), but when everyone is strictly a spot up shooter, I think defensive rotations are very easy to get the hang of when none of the players can drive to confuse the defense.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

So Miami would be:

versus

I see what you're saying about (1) because of Memphis' style and Gasol's success there, but I think Marc and Bosh could play similarly together to how Marc and Pau played for Spain.  Also, this team still has a lot of very capable players on the wings though and I could see them playing some small ball still with Lebron at the 4 and a combination of Battier, Ray, Miller, TA playing the 2/3 spots.

(2)  This team already has a lot of shooters on the roster with Chalmers, Ray, Battier, Jones, Miller, Lewis and even Bosh.  I think that spreading the floor is wonderful (seriously), but when everyone is strictly a spot up shooter, I think defensive rotations are very easy to get the hang of when none of the players can drive to confuse the defense.

I don't consider Bosh a similar player to Pau Gasol. Pau Gasol has a post game. Bosh does not. That is why Pau Gasol works so well with Marc Gasol. Because it forces the smaller player to cover Pau in the post and Pau can go to work on him. Bosh isn't like that.

I think mobility is very important in choosing a big man to play alongside Bosh. I would target someone like Al Horford or Josh Smith to play alongside Bosh. Marc Gasol is a plodder. A highly skilled big but a plodder.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I want MIA to crash and burn!

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Me too.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Riley should consider trading Wade.  They should cash out now before everyone in the league begins to perceive Wade as a has been.  Wade could bring back cousins, Gay, or any of the high profile guys that are rumored to be in the move

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With Wade always being hurt, I figured it was time to bring this back to the forefront.  Miami should trade Wade at this point I'd be curious to see what they could get for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
With Wade always being hurt, I figured it was time to bring this back to the forefront.  Miami should trade Wade at this point I'd be curious to see what they could get for him.
he's the best piece for them to move.  I stand by my assessment of the original deal from earlier in the thread, I would not give up Marc Gasol for Wade (as well as the other pieces involved even though Gay has moved on).

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
They should have traded him yesteryear!

No way he's worth Kevin Love.  Not close.  Imagine a Bosh Love Lebron team?

I'm sure Riley sees how better Miami could be with a studly big man in place of Wade, but then there's loyalty and all the rest...

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think Wade is in a Rondo-like situation right now--namely, that based on past performance he's worth way more to them than most other teams are willing to part with, both in salary and in their franchise history.

He's responsible for both of their championships. He's far and away the best "home-grown" talent they've ever had, and he's being paid like a superstar even though it's obvious that he's not worth the money any more.

My guess is he rides out into the South Beach Sunset when he stops playing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.