Author Topic: JO + Clipps pick for a center/possibilities  (Read 3914 times)

JO + Clipps pick for a center/possibilities
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
The list is surprisingly interesting:

Varejao
Gortat
Kaman
J Thompson
Dalembert
Okur

These are all players on non-contenders who are not part of their respective teams' rebuilds. JO+ a pick in a loaded draft certainly should put us in the running for each of them.

Re: JO + Clipps pick for a center/possibilities
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Maybe Gortat otherwise I'm not really interested in giving up the pick for  those other guys

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Maybe Gortat otherwise I'm not really interested in giving up the pick for  those other guys

really? what are you going to get better with a late first round pick? Okur I could see being a concern because of injury, but the others are legit starting centers in the league.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I like Kaman quite a bit as well as Gortat, but he's expiring, so I wouldn't trade a pick without an extension, and I wouldn't do that unless we finally let go of the DHoward pipe dream.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I like Kaman quite a bit as well as Gortat, but he's expiring, so I wouldn't trade a pick without an extension, and I wouldn't do that unless we finally let go of the DHoward pipe dream.

Thompson and Dalembert are signed for very reasonable money next year and would be eons better than what have now.

at the very least Thompson would play with energy.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont think JO and a pick could land any of those guys.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I dont think JO and a pick could land any of those guys.
why?

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like Kaman as well, couldn't we just trade him if Howard can be had though?

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Varejao
Gortat
Kaman
J Thompson
Dalembert
Okur

These are all players on non-contenders who are not part of their respective teams' rebuilds. JO+ a pick in a loaded draft certainly should put us in the running for each of them.

I would love to add Varejao, but he's playing some the best basketball of his career for an overachieving Cleveland team that's currently ahead of us for the 8th seed and has little need to dump salary.

Gortat is playing like a borderline all-star on that Suns team.  Might be the best non-rookie contract bargain in the league. Young, too.  He'll have a very steep asking price.

Very little interest in giving up a pick for Kaman.  Too slow and inefficient to make much of a difference for this team.

Of the rest Dalembert would be best.  Not sure Houston has much incentive to move him though.  That team is already stuffed with young role players, so our assets might not have much appeal.

I think Lamar Odom should be on the list.  Not fitting in with Dallas.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Varejao
Gortat
Kaman
J Thompson
Dalembert
Okur

I would love to add Varejao, but he's playing some the best basketball of his career for an overachieving Cleveland team that's currently ahead of us for the 8th seed and has little need to dump salary.

Gortat is playing like a borderline all-star on that Suns team.  Might be the best non-rookie contract bargain in the league. Young, too.  He'll have a very steep asking price.

Very little interest in giving up a pick for Kaman.  Too slow and inefficient to make much of a difference for this team.

Of the rest Dalembert would be best.  Not sure Houston has much incentive to move him though.  That team is already stuffed with young role players, so our assets might not have much appeal.

neither the Suns nor the Cavs are near being a contender. So if I were them I would be targeting lottery picks in this upcoming draft.

The Suns without Gortat could be a top 5 pick. The Cavs without Varejao are certainly top 10.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Varejao
Gortat
Kaman
J Thompson
Dalembert
Okur

neither the Suns nor the Cavs are near being a contender. So if I were them I would be targeting lottery picks in this upcoming draft.

The Suns without Gortat could be a top 5 pick. The Cavs without Varejao are certainly top 10.

They'd deal those guys for lottery picks, not to improve their chances at their own lottery pick.  Neither guy is over the hill (Gortat is 27, Varejao is 29).  Both are signed to affordable long-term deals. 

If Cleveland was as bad as they were last year, maybe.  Varejao's approaching the end of his prime.  But they are close enough (with Irving's strong play out of the gate) to the playoffs that they will value him as a core player instead of a wasted vet.

Phoenix is in worse shape, but Gortat is a youngish player playing great.  The last guy they want to give away for a late pick at the moment. Childress, Frye... those guys are the ones they'll probably look to dump 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Varejao
Gortat
Kaman
J Thompson
Dalembert
Okur

They'd deal those guys for lottery picks, not to improve their chances at their own lottery pick.  Neither guy is over the hill (Gortat is 27, Varejao is 29).  Both are signed to affordable long-term deals. 

If Cleveland was as bad as they were last year, maybe.  Varejao's approaching the end of his prime.  But they are close enough (with Irving's strong play out of the gate) to the playoffs that they will value him as a core player instead of a wasted vet.

Phoenix is in worse shape, but Gortat is a youngish player playing great.  The last guy they want to give away for a late pick at the moment. Childress, Frye... those guys are the ones they'll probably look to dump 

maybe you're right, but if I were those teams I would be looking to cash in on this years draft class. You can get a franchise player this year and both Gortat and Varejao worth losing for a shot at these players IMO.

faced with the chance of being an 8th seed vs a chance at getting a franchise player, I'd choose franchise player.

if CLE can pair Irving with one of the bigs at the top of this draft they could be set moving forward...

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

Varejao
Gortat
Kaman
J Thompson
Dalembert
Okur

maybe you're right, but if I were those teams I would be looking to cash in on this years draft class. You can get a franchise player this year and both Gortat and Varejao worth losing for a shot at these players IMO.

faced with the chance of being an 8th seed vs a chance at getting a franchise player, I'd choose franchise player.

if CLE can pair Irving with one of the bigs at the top of this draft they could be set moving forward...

I agree completely.  PHX is near a complete rebuild, and the Cavs would be better off dumping Sideshow Bob for the best pick they can get in hopes of at least getting a stronger offensive player/big.

I'd go hard at Varejawhatshisname.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
We'd probably have the best shot at Dalembert out of the names you mentioned.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers