Author Topic: trade idea: c's/hornets  (Read 3141 times)

trade idea: c's/hornets
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
Hi there,

i'm new on this forums, so please be indulgent with me. I'm also not very familiar with the salary cap rules of the nba (europe has a differnt system). So if this trade is totally unrealistic tell me please.

Boston receives:

Emeka Okafor

New Orleans receives:

Kevin Garnett, Keyon Dooling

I think both parties will benefit from this trade. First of NO will get some experience they urgently need. And we get a defensive center with a solid game underneath the rim.

Tell me what you guys think.

Re: trade idea: c's/hornets
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
This trade ties or hand $$ wise and leaves us about as good as we are now with mo room for growth.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm not sure if the money lines up (we might be sending out too much $$), but as much as I like Okafor as a solid defensive big, his contract is just a bit rich for my taste.

I'd try to dump Bradley in the deal too for our own cap reasons.  That's probably why he's getting court time in the first place...

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why give away cap space?

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
At best, it's a lateral move that wipes away a huge chunk of cap flexibility.

No point to this trade for Boston. Great deal for New Orleans.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
At best, it's a lateral move that wipes away a huge chunk of cap flexibility.

No point to this trade for Boston. Great deal for New Orleans.

Yeah, exactly.  I would have ton consider a deal for Okafor based around spare parts like JO and Wilcox, but when you start throwing a guy like KG in there, it makes no sense.

The benefit in getting Okafor would that it would maximize the chances of winning with the current core, while also help a little to bridge the gap.  But, without KG, then you are just bridging the gap...and I think you can do better with the cap space.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trade JO, Bass and Wilcox for Chris Kaman ... All of them expire at the end of the year anyways, and Kaman can step in at center.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »

Offline FlightlessBird

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Trade JO, Bass and Wilcox for Chris Kaman ... All of them expire at the end of the year anyways, and Kaman can step in at center.

Who plays backup PF for us in this scenario? Garnett can't handle that many minutes, and is a big injury risk. I like JJJ but he is not ready for 20 min a game.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Who plays backup PF for us in this scenario? Garnett can't handle that many minutes, and is a big injury risk. I like JJJ but he is not ready for 20 min a game.
I'd rather have a starting center than a backup PF...

Sign some bum out of the D-League or bring back Antoine Walker.  Doesn't matter... this team isn't doing anything in the playoffs regardless.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »

Offline FlightlessBird

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0

Sign some bum out of the D-League or bring back Antoine Walker.  Doesn't matter... this team isn't doing anything in the playoffs regardless.

I could see doing that only if Kaman committed to a longer term reasonable contract, which he wouldn't. Otherwise I'd rather have Bass for a good value, and the rest of the year for JJJ to learn form KG. Renting Kaman for the year in my opinion is not worth losing Bass for next year.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Hi there,

i'm new on this forums, so please be indulgent with me. I'm also not very familiar with the salary cap rules of the nba (europe has a differnt system). So if this trade is totally unrealistic tell me please.

Boston receives:

Emeka Okafor

New Orleans receives:

Kevin Garnett, Keyon Dooling

I think both parties will benefit from this trade. First of NO will get some experience they urgently need. And we get a defensive center with a solid game underneath the rim.

Tell me what you guys think.

i would do this deal in the heart beat sign oj mayo in the off season and have starting 5 of rondo,mayo,green,bass,okafor

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I could see doing that only if Kaman committed to a longer term reasonable contract, which he wouldn't. Otherwise I'd rather have Bass for a good value, and the rest of the year for JJJ to learn form KG. Renting Kaman for the year in my opinion is not worth losing Bass for next year.
Bass isn't that good.  I'd rather have Kaman even if for the season.  That way we don't have Bass on our books next year.  I'm not sure we have as much potential cap space as everyone seems to think.  We will be at 35 million without Jeff Green or our two first round draft picks (and without KG and Ray).