Author Topic: Trade idea: kg and ray for josh smith and joe johnson  (Read 4768 times)

Trade idea: kg and ray for josh smith and joe johnson
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:58:03 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I do think a trade w the hawks makes sense, but kg for josh smith just isnt going to fly.   With this deal, atlanta gets out from under a horrible joe johnson contract, and frees up tons of money.   Despite horford being out, they might keep kg and ray if they remain in playoff hunt.   If they fall out of it, they send each in separate deals to contenders for picks and young players.   Ray allen could probably net them a pick and taj gibson from the bulls, etc.  

This extends our window, and a lineup of rondo, jj, pp, josh is a good start.  Still need a center but maybe we make another desal, or wait for offseason.  

I dont think we pull trigger on this yet, but by end of janaury if we havent started playing championship level ball, we should considerr it.

Re: Trade idea: kg and ray for josh smith and joe johnson
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd rather just do the sell off for young players and picks (not that they would be any good, I'd just rather do that).  I want no part of Joe Johnson's contract as it is terrible and he gets only a tiny bit closer to a title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I do think a trade w the hawks makes sense, but kg for josh smith just isnt going to fly.   With this deal, atlanta gets out from under a horrible joe johnson contract, and frees up tons of money.   Despite horford being out, they might keep kg and ray if they remain in playoff hunt.   If they fall out of it, they send each in separate deals to contenders for picks and young players.   Ray allen could probably net them a pick and taj gibson from the bulls, etc.  

This extends our window, and a lineup of rondo, jj, pp, josh is a good start.  Still need a center but maybe we make another desal, or wait for offseason.  

I dont think we pull trigger on this yet, but by end of janaury if we havent started playing championship level ball, we should considerr it.
It is significantly more likely you'll be able to get Smith for KG than Smith and Johnsong for KG and Ray.

The Hawks may be looking to get rid of Smith's extra year and build around Johnson, to whom they have committed long-term. They are not going to give you both in a salary dump.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
No one in there right mind should want JJ's contract on their pay-roll. The guy has already started to decline and he's still got 4 years 80+Mill left on the contract after this year. I'm pretty sure that Atlanta would give away JJ and Smith if they could get the relief we could offer.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i would possibly pull the trigger with kg for smith....but i wouldnt want ray/johnson included.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
It is significantly more likely you'll be able to get Smith for KG than Smith and Johnsong for KG and Ray.

The Hawks may be looking to get rid of Smith's extra year and build around Johnson, to whom they have committed long-term. They are not going to give you both in a salary dump.

I disagree. The JJ contract is arguably the worst contract in the entire NBA that hasn't been amnestied. Atlanta would much rather do this than swap Josh Smith for KG. They still owe Joe Johnson $107M (counting this year) and he will make $25M when he's 35 years old. He's a borderline All-Star at best NOW and already declining.

If anything Atlanta will build around Horford (a Rondo-esque contract) and be eyeing the amnesty clause for JJ again every year. The only way they are moving JJ is if they take back a pretty bad contract, of which we don't have any.

If we're gonna get weird with it, do Pierce & O'Neal for Johnson, Smith and an unprotected #1 pick. It would never fly in Atlanta, but in theory at least we would have (next year) Rondo, Johnson, Smith, maybe resign Allen, Bass or Green... no cap room after all that, but 3 more 1st round draft picks in a deep draft. The Johnson deal doesn't really kill us over what Pierce would make until the last 2 years.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
We will have cap space for the first time in like forever.

Why take on more money?

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:44:05 AM »

Offline Bean_town fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

Why take on more money?

Exactly, there is not a massive market for us to trade with. unless you talking Rondo, Ray and Rooks.....which is stupid, the rooks should be held on to for the rebuilding period. Whatever trade we do this year, is not going to help this year. Trades that should happen should be for picks and young players. I think the cap space we get by just letting everyone expire is a better move.....

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 03:22:37 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Why take on more money?

Exactly, there is not a massive market for us to trade with. unless you talking Rondo, Ray and Rooks.....which is stupid, the rooks should be held on to for the rebuilding period. Whatever trade we do this year, is not going to help this year. Trades that should happen should be for picks and young players. I think the cap space we get by just letting everyone expire is a better move.....

indeed, but if we have to sacrifice some cap space this summer in order to get some picks in this summer's draft, you do it.  essentially we'll just be renting out cap space that we most likely won't have good reason to use, anyway.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:13:59 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm as down on this team as everyone else, but the opportunity to take on Joe Johnson's horrible contract will not disappear when KG and Ray expire.  If we have cap space, we can still take on significant salary (and I think the other team ends up getting a trade exception or something, right?)... But if we do a trade now, we ruin any chances of our free agent pipe dreams.

Unfortunately the best move is just to have patience and wait out this crap season.  Unless we are trading KG and Ray for OTHER expiring contracts (with draft picks/talent tacked on), it probably isn't worth it.  Trading Paul Pierce or Rondo might make more sense at this point (like a trade freeing up even more cap space)

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
How about this one?

We send KG, JO and Rondo + a first round pick to Washington for John Wall, Rashard and Blatche + second round pick.

Money works for both sides. We take in Rashard's large contract for another year compared to the expiring contract of KG. Then we get a young big in Blatche and a PG in Wall whom we can build around for the years to come. Wizards get relief from Rashard's for one year, get rid of a big whom they cannot handle and get a PG in Rondo who can run their team offense and defense at a much higher level. Wizards get stronger at the middle with KG, JO, Javale, Ndiaye, Turiaf and Vesely and have a more organized offense and a better franchise direction. Boston can remain competitive by having a PG who can add scoring at the backcourt, a SF who can alternate with PP and a legit presence in the middle. Lastly, I don't think we can really land Dwight so we might as well get a little bit more creative with this approach.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 08:01:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Can you use the amnesty on acquired players?  Like, trade KG for Rashard... and then amnesty Rashard?

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
Can you use the amnesty on acquired players?  Like, trade KG for Rashard... and then amnesty Rashard?

Yes, I guess. I think the amnesty rule can be applied every start of a season for only a specified period. But we still pay Rashard's money. On the other hand, we remove that salary from our cap.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yes, I guess. I think the amnesty rule can be applied every start of a season for only a specified period. But we still pay Rashard's money. On the other hand, we remove that salary from our cap.
can't do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum

can't do it.