Author Topic: Serious "Blow-It-Up" Trade Idea Thread  (Read 17026 times)

Re: Serious "Blow-It-Up" Trade Idea Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
First I don't get the oj mayo love I see from some.  He lost his starting gig to tony Allen and I would be hesitant trading for him. 

Maybe I'm being naive but I think we could still make a run at this with a couple tweaks by the trade deadline. I would consider offering bass, a first round pick, and whatever else small piece for a legit pf/c that could put up 15 and 10.  Maybe a team out of the playoff picture would look to unload.  Maybe david lee, gortat, or someone like that.  That could go a long way shoring up our rebounding and interior d.

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:57 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
If we decide to really blow things up

Rondo $10
Jermaine $6
Boston 1st Rounder

for

Gordon $4
Okafor $12
NO 1st Rounder

Why for NO: Reports saying uncertain if they can pay Gordon, so in Rondo they get a all/super-star point guard with a favorable contract.  Cap-shedding Hornets save a lot of money on Okafor while they try to sell the team.  Still have a mid-round 1st rounder in a deep deep draft, and they will still have a high pick with the Wolves pick.  And in all, NO traded Chris Paul and a 1st for Rondo, Aminu, Wolves 1st, Celts 1st, two 2nd rounders and huge cap relief.  Pretty darn good.

Why for Boston:  Get a likely top 5 pick in one of the studliest drafts we've seen in a while and a budding all-star in Gordon, which is very good value for Rondo.  We extend Gordon for $11-12 M/year and considering Okafor's contract still have $20 M in space for the next 2 years, enough to offer a sizable deal to an elite free agent (Josh Smiith) or a couple of solid pieces.  It's unlikely we will be able to get two free agents this offseason that are worth all the cap space, so it would be a good time to bring on some bad contracts if it means picking up good prospects instead.  Also leaves us with all other tradable pieces (KG, Ray, Bass...) to use to maybe accumulate more picks/pieces.

That's all well and good, but who plays the point?

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't have any specific ideas, but I'd love as a strategy in general to trade for guys (like Jeff Green) who are about to become restricted free agents.  There are so few real unrestricted free agents every year, that this would appear to be the best way to get good young talent to Boston and keep them here, as opposed to hoping that when you have cap room once every several years that there are unrestricted free agents worth signing who you want.

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I posted this idea in another thread.  It's not something I am in favor of, but something that I think is a realistic scenario.  Some Rockets fans want Daryl Morey to blow up their team and trade Kevin Martin and Luis Scola for expiring contracts and picks.  Some were very disappointed that the trade that would have sent Paul Gasol to Houston was cancelled.

KG's expiring contract for Luis Scola and Kevin Martin.  Houston also receives one or more first round picks and perhaps Avery Bradley or one of the rookies, since the Celtics need to get rid of a player to clear a spot.  Then, the Celtics ship Ray Allen for the best offer available.

Scola and/or Martin end up being attractive enough pseudo-stars so that another team can fool itself that it is getting something substantive as part of a package in return for giving the Celtics a future multi-time All-Star.  Or Scola and Martin play for the Celtics and get traded for assets when they become expiring contracts.

I might warm up to the idea if the Celtics only had to give up the Clippers pick.  I'd hate it instantly if the team had to give up three picks.
The Celtics would need another big piece to make that worthwhile and they don't have the cap flexibility or trade assets to acquire it.

Plus, given Scola's and Pierce's age, they'd only really be putting off rebuilding by 2-3 years by making this deal. Not a core they can work with long term.

I'm not highly enthusiastic about the unrestricted free agents in the next few years, so I'm open to the idea of a rebuilding period where the next championship window won't open until after Pierce's current contract expires.  There's no chance that Garnett can be turned into a core superstar.  There's some chance that Martin and Scola can.  The Chris Paul non-trade showed that.  If you are pessimistic about a top-level player being willing to come to Boston as a free agent, then acquiring these sorts of players as trade assets might be better than having a huge gaping hole of cap space that can't be filled.

Of course, I've been a proponent of considering bringing back KG and Ray Allen back on one-year deals in the $7-10 million range with a second player-option year if there are no good trades out there, rather than making a trade for the sake of a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference