Author Topic: Portland/Boston trade idea (if the team does not improve play)  (Read 3121 times)

Portland/Boston trade idea (if the team does not improve play)
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Portland is looking like a playoff team.  If they decide they want one more top scorer with experience, would they do this?

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

Ray can come off the bench with Matthews able to slide over the SF when Wallace comes out (or can slide over to PF with Aldridge sliding over to C)

Re: Portland/Boston trade idea (if the team does not improve play)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Portland is looking like a playoff team.  If they decide they want one more top scorer with experience, would they do this?

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

Ray can come off the bench with Matthews able to slide over the SF when Wallace comes out (or can slide over to PF with Aldridge sliding over to C)
But how does that help us?  Neither Camby or Batum is a building block for the future and don't make us appreciably better for contending this year. 

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

But how does that help us?  Neither Camby or Batum is a building block for the future and don't make us appreciably better for contending this year. 

Batum is the kind of building block the Celtics used to build this team.  He is a young (23) solid SF where the Celtics have the qualifying offer control over him next year.  They take back no long term money. His future could be with the Celtics or could be with a sign and trade.  He takes away none of the flexibility the Celtics have next year.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love Camby and has always wanted him but he makes us even older. Ray is argueably our best player at the moment, giving him away takes away our whole 3 point and transition option. Batum is a fan and franchise favorite in Portland. Even though he is currently a 6th man he is seen as a cornerstone for the franchise. I highly doubt they give him up for two expiring contracts.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Portland is infatuated with Batum, and based off their current roster I think if Portland wanted to make a run - and I honestly think they could - Camby has more value to them than Ray Allen would.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think it makes sense for Portland. They need Camby more than Ray given their respective weakness at the big man spots without Camby and their relative strength in the backcourt (Felton, Matthews, J.Crawford).

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

Batum is the kind of building block the Celtics used to build this team.  He is a young (23) solid SF where the Celtics have the qualifying offer control over him next year.  They take back no long term money. His future could be with the Celtics or could be with a sign and trade.  He takes away none of the flexibility the Celtics have next year.

I love Nic Batum, but would rather take my chances of trying to pry him away from Portland this off-season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I'd like to avoid pursuing a player like Nic Batum who is due for a major pay increase next summer.

I really disliked that aspect of the Jeff Green acquisition last year.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

Portland hangs up honestly

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

I agree.  Portland has refused to give up Batum for significantly more valuable players in the past.  I don't think they would give him up now, especially when you combine the downgrade from Camby to JO.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Camby and Batum

for

Ray and ONeal.

I agree.  Portland has refused to give up Batum for significantly more valuable players in the past.  I don't think they would give him up now, especially when you combine the downgrade from Camby to JO.
I think Portland realizes they are probably going to lose Nic Batum this summer.

Their comments the other day about only being able to keep Batum if the finances make sense for both sides spoke to that. With Gerald Wallace there eating up a lot of minutes and limiting Batum's court time (+ Batum's poor response to that in training and games) and Portland's interest in signing G-Wallace to a long term deal this summer.

I reckon Batum is no longer the highly prized asset in Portland's eyes that he once was. That he is available if they receive a solid offer (which I do not think this is).