Author Topic: Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future  (Read 11658 times)

Re: Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
There is absolutely no way that Steve Nash is an upgrade over Rajon Rondo.  The notion is crazy to me.

We want to take a team whose biggest flaw is age and lack of athleticism and make them older and slower?  This puts us in title contention?

As far as it being a move for the future, as BBallTim said in another thread, you are basically trading Rondo for Gortat.  No thanks. 

It's a win-now trade.  The idea isn't that Nash is better than Rondo.  Rather, that this team's biggest weakness is the center position, and the difference between Nash and Rondo isn't so great that upgrading from JO to Gortat would not make an enormous difference.

Based on some of your other posts, I have a really hard time believing that you think replacing Rondo and JO with Nash and Gortat would make us a contender.  If that were the case, you'd think the Phoenix Suns are currently a contender. 

Honestly, it just sounds like an idea to clear Rondo out and start rebuilding with Marcin Gortat. 

While I'm not certain that replacing Rondo and JO with Nash and Gortat would make the Celtics a contender, I do think it would make them a much more complete and balanced team, and thus a lot better.

I don't know how or why you're jumping to the conclusion that I'd have to think the Suns are contenders . . . there's obviously an enormous difference, even now, between Jared Dudley, Grant Hill, and Channing Frye compared to the Big 3.

And, there's an obviously enormous difference between 2012 Rajon Rondo and 2012 Steve Nash. 

12 pts 10 assists, 21+ PER, .515 fg%, .346 3p%, .846 ft%

The only "enormous difference" is the fact that Steve Nash can actually hit free throws.

The fact that you think the only enormous difference between Nash and Rondo is free throws explains why you like the trade so much.

hey, don't misunderstand me (which you seem to do, frequently) -- i think there are large differences between Rondo and Nash.  Rondo's a better rebounder, a better defender, and puts more pressure on a defense in terms of driving inside. 

It's fairly hard to misunderstand "The only "enormous difference" is the fact that Steve Nash can actually hit free throws." in response to "And, there's an obviously enormous difference between 2012 Rajon Rondo and 2012 Steve Nash".

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

It's fairly hard to misunderstand "The only "enormous difference" is the fact that Steve Nash can actually hit free throws." in response to "And, there's an obviously enormous difference between 2012 Rajon Rondo and 2012 Steve Nash".

Sure, if you don't follow the context of the posts preceding it and just jump in to make a snarky response.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
no way i do that trade.  im not giving up rondo for an older pg, who isnt as good right now, and brings nothing to any possible future plans....and an average/above average center.

if we trade rondo, i want someone in return that can both help win now and the ability to build upon for the future.

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would rather go after Anderson Varejao and sacrifice this year's draft picks rather than lose Rajon Rondo in order to get Marcin Gortat.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sure, if you don't follow the context of the posts preceding it and just jump in to make a snarky response.

So you thought that there was context narrowing the discussion to free throw shooting? If there was, I doubt I'm the only other person who missed it.

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

So you thought that there was context narrowing the discussion to free throw shooting? If there was, I doubt I'm the only other person who missed it.

no, there was a context in which the phrase "enormous difference" was used to compare Gortat and JO.  then, that phrase was used to compare Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo.  

my response was that the only difference between the two players nearly as large as the one between Gortat and JO is the difference between Nash and Rondo's respective free throw percentages.  

so yes, there are differences between Nash and Rondo, but none of them are as "enormous" as the difference between a very valuable starting quality center and a 6'11'' stiff.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

no, there was a context in which the phrase "enormous difference" was used to compare Gortat and JO.  then, that phrase was used to compare Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo. 

my response was that the only difference between the two players nearly as large as the one between Gortat and JO is the difference between Nash and Rondo's respective free throw percentages.   

I'll stay with my original statement then, based on the fact that I don't appear to have misunderstood you or taken your statement out of context.

If you're looking for differences in free throws, though, the biggest difference isn't percentages, it's Rondo taking 6 a game and Nash taking 1.

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Rondo is gone before the trade deadline. Only brings it for big games, and purposely inflates his stats if he has an outside shot of a triple double. Not a leader, and not a person I would want to build around.

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

no, there was a context in which the phrase "enormous difference" was used to compare Gortat and JO.  then, that phrase was used to compare Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo. 

I'll stay with my original statement then, based on the fact that I don't appear to have misunderstood you or taken your statement out of context.

Well, if you're content not to add much to the discussion, have it your way.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
My personal opinion is I would love to see Nash assist numbers on a team with Ray, KG & Pierce. It certainly doesn't pain me to try being we are not likely to win with Rondo this year anyways. If not rebuild! I certainly don't wanna see ultra  competitor like Rondo here alone next year mad & frustrated wishing he was gone.

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo is gone before the trade deadline. Only brings it for big games, and purposely inflates his stats if he has an outside shot of a triple double. Not a leader, and not a person I would want to build around.

So last night we had a big game and Rondo had an easy shot at a triple double but he made no effort to inflate his stats.

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
My personal opinion is I would love to see Nash assist numbers on a team with Ray, KG & Pierce.

Unless they magically start hitting all the open shots that they're missing now, I'd say about what Rondo's getting.

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

So last night we had a big game and Rondo had an easy shot at a triple double but he made no effort to inflate his stats.

Yeah, I've never gotten the sense that Rondo purposefully inflates his stats (although at times in the past he has gone out of his way to get an assist instead of making a layup himself).

- Doc Rivers