Author Topic: Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future  (Read 11657 times)

Re: Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
So I came up with this trade a lot earlier - like about 4 weeks ago - and all you guys poopood it. Now you love it?

Guess what people - If Paul Pierce and KG cannot get it together no trade is going to help us this year.

That said, Gortat is an excellent big man to help out with rebounding and shot blocking.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

As far as it being a move for the future, as BBallTim said in another thread, you are basically trading Rondo for Gortat.  No thanks. 

...and their first round pick and more cap room and more flexibility next year in potential S&Ts.

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
So I came up with this trade a lot earlier - like about 4 weeks ago - and all you guys poopood it. Now you love it?

Guess what people - If Paul Pierce and KG cannot get it together no trade is going to help us this year.

That said, Gortat is an excellent big man to help out with rebounding and shot blocking.

Q, +1 to you too,..... again, didn't like it then, do like it now

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

Offline travis

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
There is no way we are winning with Nash either.  Teams will score 120 per game on us, and I don't think we can keep pace.

We need to build around Rondo.  Get tough minded defensive player like Perk and Tony Allen...oh wait

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

As far as it being a move for the future, as BBallTim said in another thread, you are basically trading Rondo for Gortat.  No thanks. 

...and their first round pick and more cap room and more flexibility next year in potential S&Ts.

Yes, we get a middish 1st rounder and $3-4M in cap space. How much more flexibilty in S&Ts do you gain?

Still, not exactly a king's ransom for the talent downgrade.

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

Yes, we get a middish 1st rounder and $3-4M in cap space. How much more flexibilty in S&Ts do you gain?

Rondo won't win a title here in Boston alone, and if we keep him & don't get players primed & ready in 3-4 years he is gonna be a old PG anyway. His reckless style & aggression will take a hit faster than jump shooting PGs. Rondo can only live in this league by getting to the basket which may subsequentely take years off his Basketball life. Teams love to knock Rondo down & leave him sprawling across the hardwood. Im all for getting all young talent together (draft picks or 2 FA's) rather than Rondo withering away while young picks try to find themselves in the league.

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

As far as it being a move for the future, as BBallTim said in another thread, you are basically trading Rondo for Gortat.  No thanks.  

Rondo won't win a title here in Boston alone, and if we keep him & don't get players primed & ready in 3-4 years he is gonna be a old PG anyway. His reckless style & aggression will take a hit faster than jump shooting PGs. Rondo can only live in this league by getting to the basket which may subsequentely take years off his Basketball life. Teams love to knock Rondo down & leave him sprawling across the hardwood. Im all for getting all young talent together (draft picks or 2 FA's) rather than Rondo withering away while young picks try to find themselves in the league.

Nobody in the league can win a title in Boston alone, and Rondo will be 28-29 in 3-4 years. He gets knocked around but has never had a significant  injury because of it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:08:26 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
There is absolutely no way that Steve Nash is an upgrade over Rajon Rondo.  The notion is crazy to me.

We want to take a team whose biggest flaw is age and lack of athleticism and make them older and slower?  This puts us in title contention?

It's a win-now trade.  The idea isn't that Nash is better than Rondo.  Rather, that this team's biggest weakness is the center position, and the difference between Nash and Rondo isn't so great that upgrading from JO to Gortat would not make an enormous difference.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I understand that he's of a slighter frame than most of the other superstars in the league who make a living off driving aggressively to the hoop, but he's been relatively durable so far in his career.

His passing acumen and basketball smarts contribute to making him a valuable player out there even if he isn't going 100 miles per hour for all 48 minutes of every night over an 82 game season.  

But you have him done within 3 to 4 years.  Someone remind me of the difference between a pessimist and a realist.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
There is absolutely no way that Steve Nash is an upgrade over Rajon Rondo.  The notion is crazy to me.

We want to take a team whose biggest flaw is age and lack of athleticism and make them older and slower?  This puts us in title contention?

It's a win-now trade.  The idea isn't that Nash is better than Rondo.  Rather, that this team's biggest weakness is the center position, and the difference between Nash and Rondo isn't so great that upgrading from JO to Gortat would not make an enormous difference.

The team just morphs it's weakness to the least athletic backcourt in the league. You could probably lump in Paul and go with the least combined athleticism in the 1-2-3 spots. Who's going to prevent  transition scoring, Nash or Allen?

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yea ....I'm thinking the way KG and JO are playing on offense, Gortat would be a huge improvment .  At least he doesn't look dead out there.

Heck...my grandmother might play better

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Yea ....I'm thinking the way KG and JO are playing on offense, Gortat would be a huge improvment .  At least he doesn't look dead out there.

Heck...my grandmother might play better

If she's seven foot tall, I think she might be worth a look.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Based on some of your other posts, I have a really hard time believing that you think replacing Rondo and JO with Nash and Gortat would make us a contender.  If that were the case, you'd think the Phoenix Suns are currently a contender. 

Honestly, it just sounds like an idea to clear Rondo out and start rebuilding with Marcin Gortat. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
There is absolutely no way that Steve Nash is an upgrade over Rajon Rondo.  The notion is crazy to me.

We want to take a team whose biggest flaw is age and lack of athleticism and make them older and slower?  This puts us in title contention?

As far as it being a move for the future, as BBallTim said in another thread, you are basically trading Rondo for Gortat.  No thanks.  

It's a win-now trade.  The idea isn't that Nash is better than Rondo.  Rather, that this team's biggest weakness is the center position, and the difference between Nash and Rondo isn't so great that upgrading from JO to Gortat would not make an enormous difference.

Based on some of your other posts, I have a really hard time believing that you think replacing Rondo and JO with Nash and Gortat would make us a contender.  If that were the case, you'd think the Phoenix Suns are currently a contender.  

Honestly, it just sounds like an idea to clear Rondo out and start rebuilding with Marcin Gortat.  

While I'm not certain that replacing Rondo and JO with Nash and Gortat would make the Celtics a contender, I do think it would make them a much more complete and balanced team, and thus a lot better.

I don't know how or why you're jumping to the conclusion that I'd have to think the Suns are contenders . . . there's obviously an enormous difference, even now, between Jared Dudley, Grant Hill, and Channing Frye compared to the Big 3.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

Who's going to prevent  transition scoring, Nash or Allen?

Gortat by getting some bounds and Nash by making the O more efficient.

Gortat will also go a long way to stopping those second chance points that have been destroying us. The other night  3 offensive rebounds on ONE possession. You gotta be ****ing me.