Author Topic: Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future  (Read 11661 times)

Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:48:22 AM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Boston sends: Rajon Rondo, Jermaine O'Neal & E'Twann Moore

Phoenix Sends: Steve Nash & Marcin Gortat

I know the Rondo lovers (myself included) would hate seeing Rajon go. But with Steve Nash in the fold, Kevin Garnett would become a better player pick & roll. And Nash could have MVP Nash numbers again. We would have the best jump shooting in the league hands down. And with our offense as presently insituted, it may just be in our best interest. Gortat also is a excellent rebounder & tougher center than Jermaine & can post & spot up out to 17ft.

And on another level it helps us toward 2012 FA being it would open up the PG position as one of the 2 Max contracts we could offer & help lure in D.Will & D.Howard with no interference of another young star PG in the way. And those two could come in & have it be their team from.day 1 of 2012-13 season. We could rent Nash for 1 run at the title & let him drift off to NY next year. A lineup of

PG: Deron Williams
SG: Ray Allen (reduced pay)
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Kevin Garnett (reduced pay)
C : Dwight Howard

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Jeff Green (if we can somehow keep him)
Michael Pietrus
Avery Bradley
Jajuan Johnson
2 1st rounders

This team would be clear favorites to win the title if it could be pulled off.

Re: Nash & Gortat to Celtics! May help future
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:56:32 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I know the Rondo lovers (myself included) would hate seeing Rajon go. But with Steve Nash in the fold, Kevin Garnett would become a better player pick & roll. And Nash could have MVP Nash numbers again. We would have the best jump shooting in the league hands down. And with our offense as presently insituted, it may just be in our best interest. Gortat also is a excellent rebounder & tougher center than Jermaine & can post & spot up out to 17ft.

And on another level it helps us toward 2012 FA being it would open up the PG position as one of the 2 Max contracts we could offer & help lure in D.Will & D.Howard with no interference of another young star PG in the way. And those two could come in & have it be their team from.day 1 of 2012-13 season. We could rent Nash for 1 run at the title & let him drift off to NY next year. A lineup of

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Michael Pietrus
Avery Bradley
Jajuan Johnson
2 1st rounders

How do you muster up enough enthusiasm to want a 36 year old point guard to come here in place of a 25 year old one?

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:57:29 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Michael Pietrus
Avery Bradley
Jajuan Johnson
2 1st rounders

I dont see how anyone thinks KG can start next year, if be in the league at all.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Michael Pietrus
Avery Bradley
Jajuan Johnson
2 1st rounders

Sorry i dont mean to be a buzz kill, cause i hate when people do that to my ideas, but the idea of losing Rondo for a late 30's nash just makes me sad.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:05:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Watching how Pierce, Ray and KG have started the year, I wouldn't make a trade right now that dumps Rondo for another old player in his last year.

As much as I like Gortat and believe that good big men are still the key, he is not good enough long term to give up Rondo.  Maybe he will be soon, but as of right now, I don't think so. 

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:15:31 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Michael Pietrus
Avery Bradley
Jajuan Johnson
2 1st rounders

I dont see how anyone thinks KG can start next year, if be in the league at all.

Are you basing this off of last year or 3 weeks of Basketball this season? Either way could not disagree with you more.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Watching how Pierce, Ray and KG have started the year, I wouldn't make a trade right now that dumps Rondo for another old player in his last year.

As much as I like Gortat and believe that good big men are still the key, he is not good enough long term to give up Rondo.  Maybe he will be soon, but as of right now, I don't think so. 
Not to mention Nash's start to the year....

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If  Danny determines that we are all-in this year, I think I do this if Phoenix throws in this year’s first round pick, or if they are reluctant, our option at years end for the better of their pick and our own, so we would have the option of switching first round picks.

So the deal would be Nash/Gortat/Phoenix's first or switch for Rondo/JO.

Phoenix gets the best player in the deal and a building block for the future in Rondo. JO is an expiring. Their pick could be a lottery pick (but at least they could possibly have our pick in a real strong draft) but Rondo is a proven top 5 championship PG. No guarantee that they would do better than him in the lottery.

They get something real substantial for Nash rather than have him walk at season's end for nada.

Yah, I know, Nash's defense sucks, but what he brings on offense puts so much pressure on the other teams D, that I think that it more than makes up for his non-existent defense. We just constantly rotate our 4 and 5 and have them use all their fouls.

Amazing passer (at least Rondo's equal, since he has done it with fewer weapons at his disposal) and a threat to score off the dribble, spotting up, incredible dribble penetration (ever see him drive baseline under the basket and then reverse himself and go under the basket again and then again?) and either scores himself or finds the open man. Not a bad free throw shooter, either (one of the best ever).

Gortat will give us 30 tough minutes a game and is an animal rebounder, a hard fouler and runs the floor. (Just can't block shots like JO). We will have a legit starting center.
The draft pick is huge for our future and Nash is another huge expiring.

I think this gives us our best shot for this year and gives a lot of flexibility/options next year. S&T Nash, Green (if no one signs him this year) KG and/or RA.

They get the best player (present and future) in the deal AND get something for Nash. They get nothing if he expires.

For these reasons,I think they would at the very least go for swapping picks with us if not give it up outright.

Rondo's is a "sure thing" getting him has gotta be worth at least swapping picks.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I'd be outright shocked if KG doesn't retire this season.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
KG isn't going to get better with a PG who runs a better pick and roll bc KG simply is never going to roll to the basket.  Though I am a big fan of the Polish Hammer, not at the expense of giving up Rondo
do it

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not much of a surprise here, but I'd do this trade right away.

Has Rondo played well this year? Yes, he has. The shot doesn't always go down. BUT, right now Rondo is NOT what's ailing this team.

That said, I think Steve Nash will work alot better with Ray, KG and PP. Alot of times Rondo and the big 3 aren't always on the same page (see the turnover pass from Rondo to Ray at the end of the Dallas game.)

This isn't Rondo's fault nor is it the big 3's fault. But, I do think a veteran guard like Nash would just jive well with the big 3.

Also (and surprised no one is mentioning this) but Gortat would be a HUGE upgrade over JO. So much so, that I think that will garner us extra wins this season alone.

I do it

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I've already posted ad nauseum about my support for this trade idea, although recently I've begun to think that it might not make enough of a difference to put this team over the top, which is the only reason to bother making the trade (that and getting the Suns' lottery pick this season).

So I'd probably  make this trade, but I'd also wait until around the trade deadline to see if Pierce / KG can get back to where they were last season. 

Otherwise, this is a borderline playoff team whether the trade is made or not, and Rondo is probably worth more as a trade piece this summer than halfway through the season.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I've already posted ad nauseum about my support for this trade idea, although recently I've begun to think that it might not make enough of a difference to put this team over the top, which is the only reason to bother making the trade (that and getting the Suns' lottery pick this season).

So I'd probably  make this trade, but I'd also wait until around the trade deadline to see if Pierce / KG can get back to where they were last season. 

Otherwise, this is a borderline playoff team whether the trade is made or not, and Rondo is probably worth more as a trade piece this summer than halfway through the season.

Pos, +1 for being the first that I can recall proffering this trade idea awhile back.

I think that this trade, though, if it were to be done, needs to happen sooner, though rather than later.

Rather than wait to see if PP an KG come around, let's give Nash a chance to help get them to come around with the pressure that he will put on the other team's D.

Waiting to do the trade just prolongs the adjustment time for Nash and Gortat to mesh with their new teammates.

Have to admit that I wasn't enamored with the trade when you first proposed it. Given my change of perspective of our team's chances as currently constituted, I like it a lot now.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Pos, +1 for being the first that I can recall proffering this trade idea awhile back.

I think that this trade, though, if it were to be done, needs to happen sooner, though rather than later.

Rather than wait to see if PP an KG come around, let's give Nash a chance to help get them to come around with the pressure that he will put on the other team's D.

Waiting to do the trade just prolongs the adjustment time for Nash and Gortat to mesh with their new teammates.

Have to admit that I wasn't enamored with the trade when you first proposed it. Given my change of perspective of our team's chances as currently constituted, I like it a lot now.

You're probably right about the chemistry.  It's a tough decision.  Danny's the decision-maker, though, and I think he's gonna wait until the trade deadline to make any major moves anyhow.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There is absolutely no way that Steve Nash is an upgrade over Rajon Rondo.  The notion is crazy to me.

We want to take a team whose biggest flaw is age and lack of athleticism and make them older and slower?  This puts us in title contention?

As far as it being a move for the future, as BBallTim said in another thread, you are basically trading Rondo for Gortat.  No thanks. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson