Author Topic: Sign and trade for JR Smith in March  (Read 7758 times)

Re: Sign and trade for JR Smith in March
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I have played pick up ball for half a century with thousands of players with all kinds of skill sets. I have seen players make dramatic improvements on all kinds of things (court awareness, shooting, ball-handling, team defense, etc, etc). However in all that time I have never seen a jerk stop being a jerk. A jerk brings the rest of his teammates down and makes them worse than they really are. Just like a good guy makes his teammates better than are. It would be chore to play with Smith.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think the Bulls, Heat, Clippers, Lakers would all be more enticing options for J.R., and all of those teams would be able to offer at least as much to Denver.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have played pick up ball for half a century with thousands of players with all kinds of skill sets. I have seen players make dramatic improvements on all kinds of things (court awareness, shooting, ball-handling, team defense, etc, etc). However in all that time I have never seen a jerk stop being a jerk. A jerk brings the rest of his teammates down and makes them worse than they really are. Just like a good guy makes his teammates better than are. It would be chore to play with Smith.

I don't know, he has been on some overachieving teams the last few years.  I am sure he is not everyones favorites teammate, but talent is talent, and when a coach knows how to get the most out of his players, they can fit.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
To me the key thing is that the Celtics will do major rebuilding next year. Having him on the team is going to deter quality individuals from coming to the Celtics.

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think the Bulls, Heat, Clippers, Lakers would all be more enticing options for J.R., and all of those teams would be able to offer at least as much to Denver.

Clipper - yes...but will they want him, or will they look for a better fit next to Paul?
Lakers - not sure I see it.  I think they will be looking for more of a Battier type.
Heat - They don't need another wing.  He would never see the floor.
Bulls - They are definitely a possibility.  Although with Rip already there, the need isn't nearly as great as it was before the season, and I think Smith would have a lot more trouble playing for Thibs than Doc (and I am not sure Thibs would want the headache, since they don't need him).

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
To me the key thing is that the Celtics will do major rebuilding next year. Having him on the team is going to deter quality individuals from coming to the Celtics.

Being a potentially terrible team is going to deter quality individuals from coming to the Celtics. 

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Being a potentially terrible team is going to deter quality individuals from coming to the Celtics. 

indeed.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »

Offline stylo617617

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
ehh why not..same he still pretty young ,can help with the rebuilding process next year also..wouldnt cost that much though i would see himt aking a 1 year deal so he can get more as a FA next season

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
So, if the C's scoring problems continue, here is one trade that I think could make sense in March.  Hopefully at that point JR Smith will be free to sign, as the Chinese season will be over.  If that is the case, I would try to send Wilcox and Sasha (along with cash and perhaps a second rounder) to Denver in a sign and trade for Smith, signing him a 3 year deal starting at $5.25 million (but it would be prorated), but the final year can be non-guaranteed.

For Denver, they get some extra depth up front (and can just buy out Sasha with the money the C's send), and they have no room for Smith anyways. 

For Smith, he gets more money than he would likely get by just joining a random team, and comes to a situation where they could really use his elite skill (scoring).  He also will have the possibility of taking over the starting position next year, as Ray is a FA.

Didn't they have to renounce their bird rights on JR Smith to open up the cap space to make the Brewer/Fernandez trade?

If not, I think JR Smith will command more than $5 mil.  A triple threat (shoot, slash and pass) 2-guard, 26 years old... I think he'll be looking for upwards of $8 mil per. 

That said, I'd love to add him.  Give him the Keyon Dooling role right away, slot him in as the starting 2-guard next to Rondo going forward.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
So, if the C's scoring problems continue, here is one trade that I think could make sense in March.  Hopefully at that point JR Smith will be free to sign, as the Chinese season will be over.  If that is the case, I would try to send Wilcox and Sasha (along with cash and perhaps a second rounder) to Denver in a sign and trade for Smith, signing him a 3 year deal starting at $5.25 million (but it would be prorated), but the final year can be non-guaranteed.

For Denver, they get some extra depth up front (and can just buy out Sasha with the money the C's send), and they have no room for Smith anyways. 

For Smith, he gets more money than he would likely get by just joining a random team, and comes to a situation where they could really use his elite skill (scoring).  He also will have the possibility of taking over the starting position next year, as Ray is a FA.

Didn't they have to renounce their bird rights on JR Smith to open up the cap space to make the Brewer/Fernandez trade?

If not, I think JR Smith will command more than $5 mil.  A triple threat (shoot, slash and pass) 2-guard, 26 years old... I think he'll be looking for upwards of $8 mil per. 

That said, I'd love to add him.  Give him the Keyon Dooling role right away, slot him in as the starting 2-guard next to Rondo going forward.

No, they used the trade exception from the Carmelo deal.

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

No, they used the trade exception from the Carmelo deal.

Ah, good to know.  Thanks.

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
does anyone have any stats on his temperament?

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Temperament/baggage doesn't seem to affect Ainge's decision to acquire players.  Ricky Davis, Nate Robinson, Antoine and Delonte (part 2 in both cases), Tony Allen, Stephon Marbury...

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29

Temperament/baggage doesn't seem to affect Ainge's decision to acquire players.  Ricky Davis, Nate Robinson, Antoine and Delonte (part 2 in both cases), Tony Allen, Stephon Marbury...

sarcasm

JR Smith
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
We all know that we desperately need an explosive scorer off the bench, and I'm sure we would all agree that Smith could and would fill that void. Here is a question that I have...

I know we would obviously have to cut a player to create roster space, but is it possible to offer a multi-year contract that is structured as a veteran minimum contract in first year (this year) with a huge escalation in value (5-6M) beyond this year (making use of the cap space). I'm just curious if there is a contractual way to possibly make Boston a more attractive landing spot for a guy like Smith.

Speaking of Smith, is he even a UFA (I know W. Chandler is a RFA)?