Author Topic: Sign and trade for JR Smith in March  (Read 7764 times)

Sign and trade for JR Smith in March
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So, if the C's scoring problems continue, here is one trade that I think could make sense in March.  Hopefully at that point JR Smith will be free to sign, as the Chinese season will be over.  If that is the case, I would try to send Wilcox and Sasha (along with cash and perhaps a second rounder) to Denver in a sign and trade for Smith, signing him a 3 year deal starting at $5.25 million (but it would be prorated), but the final year can be non-guaranteed.

For Denver, they get some extra depth up front (and can just buy out Sasha with the money the C's send), and they have no room for Smith anyways. 

For Smith, he gets more money than he would likely get by just joining a random team, and comes to a situation where they could really use his elite skill (scoring).  He also will have the possibility of taking over the starting position next year, as Ray is a FA.

Re: Sign and trade for JR Smith in March
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I completely agree 100%.  He is an IDEAL player to come off this bench that has NO spark to it.  He's going to have nights that will make you cringe...but the good outweighs the bad for a team that is struggling to score.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I completely agree 100%.  He is an IDEAL player to come off this bench that has NO spark to it.  He's going to have nights that will make you cringe...but the good outweighs the bad for a team that is struggling to score.

Yup.  Basically, he is a 6'6" Nate Robinson, who actually plays some defense.  Considering the issues this team has had creating shots, he could be a real difference maker.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think it's a fine idea, Chris.

But, won't there be other suitors for Smith? I wonder if that kind of return for Denver would be beaten by another team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think it's a fine idea, Chris.

But, won't there be other suitors for Smith? I wonder if that kind of return for Denver would be beaten by another team.

This is absolutely an issue.  But this is a sign and trade.  Which means, he gets to choose the team, and then the GMs can see if there is a match.  So, its not about whether another team can beat Boston's offer to Denver, it is whether another team can entice Smith more.

I think there may be a couple better situations.  The most obvious one being the Clippers, who desperately need a SG.  So, I think they would be ahead of the C's in line for him...I just am not sure they will want him.  They need more of a spot shooter who can play off Paul, while Smith is much more of a ball dominating player.  So, I could see them go in another direction. 

Danny just needs to sell him on the fact of playing with Rondo, basically being given the green light to shoot when he is on the floor, and the fact that he would be showcasing himself on a team that does get a lot of exposure, rather than some bad team that he might be able to start on.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
With M.Pietrus already here, does JR Smith add much to the team in the immediate sense?
I would expect only a marginal improvement to the C's squad since they have a very good backup wing already.

I do love the idea of putting JR Smith alongside Rajon Rondo as a long term piece though. I think he'd be a real nice addition to the squad going forward after this year.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
With M.Pietrus already here, does JR Smith add much to the team in the immediate sense?
I would expect only a marginal improvement to the C's squad since they have a very good backup wing already.

I do love the idea of putting JR Smith alongside Rajon Rondo as a long term piece though. I think he'd be a real nice addition to the squad going forward after this year.

I have to watch more of Pietrus.  He was great last night, but I have never thought of him as more than a spot up shooter.  Smith has a much more complete offensive game.

I think Pietrus is going to be a very valuable guy in a Posey-type role, but I think they still need another shot creator, and that is what Smith could bring them.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Why would Denver want Sasha and Wilcox?

They been awful
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

They been awful

Sasha is salary filler.  He would just be bought out.  Wilcox, while not great, is still a proven NBA big man, which they are short on.  If they have playoff aspirations, a guy like Wilcox would be very valuable as depth.

Plus, they would basically be free.  March 15 is about 2/3-3/4 through the season.  For simplicity, I will go with 2/3.

That means Wilcox would only be owed $1 million, and Sasha would be owed about $400k, give or take.  The C's could send say, $2 million, which would cover the cost of the salaries, plus a little something for their troubles. 

And Denver's GM gets to strengthen his relationship, both with Ainge, and Smith's agent, by getting him some extra cash.

Win-win.  The only tough part is convincing Smith.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I have to watch more of Pietrus.  He was great last night, but I have never thought of him as more than a spot up shooter.  Smith has a much more complete offensive game.

I think Pietrus is going to be a very valuable guy in a Posey-type role, but I think they still need another shot creator, and that is what Smith could bring them.
Oh yeah, Smith is a much better offensive player than Pietrus. Huge upgrade offensively. Not close.

It's just that JR Smith will coming in to a position of strength ... since the Celtics already have a pair of high level starters in Ray and Pierce and a high level backup wing in Pietrus.

There aren't many minutes available and any (playoff) minutes JR Smith gets would come at the expense of likely Pietrus. How much of an upgrade would that really be? Even if the team needed Smith's shot-creation of Pietrus defense / three ball, I think that upgrade would be fairly small.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

They been awful
That is a very good point. I don't think either player would add anything significant enough to justify their salaries to Denver's team.

Need to include a draft pick.

That means Wilcox would only be owed $1 million, and Sasha would be owed about $400k, give or take.  The C's could send say, $2 million, which would cover the cost of the salaries, plus a little something for their troubles.  

Okay, that will work fine. If Denver doesn't have to pay anything + could even make some money, then it's workable from their end of things.

No need for a pick.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I have to watch more of Pietrus.  He was great last night, but I have never thought of him as more than a spot up shooter.  Smith has a much more complete offensive game.

Oh yeah, Smith is a much better offensive player than Pietrus. Huge upgrade offensively. Not close.

It's just that JR Smith will coming in to a position of strength ... since the Celtics already have a pair of high level starters in Ray and Pierce and a high level backup wing in Pietrus.

There aren't many minutes available and any (playoff) minutes JR Smith gets would come at the expense of likely Pietrus. How much of an upgrade would that really be? Even if the team needed Smith's shot-creation of Pietrus defense / three ball, I think that upgrade would be fairly small.

While, in a vaccuum, I agree.  The problem is, I am REALLY worried about this teams ability to score.  It was a problem last year as well, and has carried over.  What I see is a team built around 3 primary scorers, and now one of them has all but lost his offensive ability (KG), another can go off for stretches, but can't do it every game like he used to (Ray), and the third is a huge questionmark, and may be battling a nagging injury.

Now, Rondo has had to pick up some of the slack, but scoring is really not what he does.  So, I think a guy like Smith would be huge.  Just because he provides something the team desperately needs, his impact would be bigger than it would be on other teams.

At least that is what they should sell him on.  And if it doesn't work out, so be it.  Its not like you gave up much.  This is just the type of low risk, high reward move that would be a no brainer for Danny.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

They been awful
neither player has looked nba caliber to me so far this season

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
Do you really want another flake on the team? His exploits are well known. It even runs in the family as Smith's sister went nuts over in China during a game, threw things on the court and then attacked fellow fans including an 80 yr old. No amount of talent compensates for being a jerk and his support system isn't about to make him get better

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Do you really want another flake on the team? His exploits are well known. It even runs in the family as Smith's sister went nuts over in China during a game, threw things on the court and then attacked fellow fans including an 80 yr old. No amount of talent compensates for being a jerk and his support system isn't about to make him get better

Its a concern...but beggars can't be choosers.  Talented players are not easy to come by, so sometimes you need to take a risks, and hope that the support structure you have built around your team can help get him on the right track.