Author Topic: Celts/T-Wolves trade idea  (Read 6834 times)

Re: Celts/T-Wolves trade idea
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Please, no.  Not Michael Beasley.

May I ask why?

When he was needed as the 2nd option in the playoffs, he played so bad, the coach benched him.

But he can put up great numbers on a terrible team without a lot of scoring.

In all fairness to him, he was asked to be the 2nd option as a 21 year-old.  Not many 21-year old's can handle that kind of pressure.  There aren't many 6'10' PF's who can get their own shot like he can and who are as athletic.  In the right system and with the right coaching, he can be an 8-10 year All-star, imho.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:09 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Re: Beasley.  This is from TheNBAGeek @ WagesofWins.

Basiically, if you gave all of Beasley’s minutes to Williams, the Wolves could easily have won 4-5 games by now. No, I’m not joking. Beasley is truly earth-shatteringly bad. To put in perspective what a selfish chucker Beasley is, he ranks 8th among small forwards the NBA in FGA per 48 minutes (50 minutes minimum), but fifty-first in true shooting. No, not 51st in the NBA, 51st among small forwards. That means that essentially all of the starting SFs and two-thirds of the back-up SFs in the league are shooting better than he is, but he’s shooting 22 shots per 48. And I don’t keep stats for “contested 22-footers per 48″ but having watched every Timberwolves game I’m going to guess he leads the league by a fat margin, ahead of even Kobe (I’m guessing that’s the reason that he’s 25th among small forwards at getting to the line, despite all those shots). Oh, yeah, and he turns the ball over a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ton. In short, Beasley is the very definition of a player that shoots you out of games. Every single time they choose to iso Beasley instead of just letting Ridnour or Rubio create off the dribble / pick-n-roll, a Timberwolf pup dies in the wild.

Williams is as turnover prone as Beasley, but I can chalk Williams’ TOs up to rookie mistakes and a general rookie “over-eager” attitude, which he may learn from. Most of his TOs come from ill-advised passes. Beasley, however, is a third-year player; the vast majority of his turnovers come from him trying to “create a shot” (a phrase that I guarantee I’ll be ranting about in a future article) and I don’t expect him to change anytime soon.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday

Basiically, if you gave all of Beasley’s minutes to Williams, the Wolves could easily have won 4-5 games by now. No, I’m not joking. Beasley is truly earth-shatteringly bad. To put in perspective what a selfish chucker Beasley is, he ranks 8th among small forwards the NBA in FGA per 48 minutes (50 minutes minimum), but fifty-first in true shooting. No, not 51st in the NBA, 51st among small forwards. That means that essentially all of the starting SFs and two-thirds of the back-up SFs in the league are shooting better than he is, but he’s shooting 22 shots per 48. And I don’t keep stats for “contested 22-footers per 48″ but having watched every Timberwolves game I’m going to guess he leads the league by a fat margin, ahead of even Kobe (I’m guessing that’s the reason that he’s 25th among small forwards at getting to the line, despite all those shots). Oh, yeah, and he turns the ball over a ****ton. In short, Beasley is the very definition of a player that shoots you out of games. Every single time they choose to iso Beasley instead of just letting Ridnour or Rubio create off the dribble / pick-n-roll, a Timberwolf pup dies in the wild.

Williams is as turnover prone as Beasley, but I can chalk Williams’ TOs up to rookie mistakes and a general rookie “over-eager” attitude, which he may learn from. Most of his TOs come from ill-advised passes. Beasley, however, is a third-year player; the vast majority of his turnovers come from him trying to “create a shot” (a phrase that I guarantee I’ll be ranting about in a future article) and I don’t expect him to change anytime soon.

7 game sample size.  Where is/was the article that talks about him shooting 45% from the field, 37% from deep, and 75% from the line last year? 

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

May I ask why?

When he was needed as the 2nd option in the playoffs, he played so bad, the coach benched him.

In all fairness to him, he was asked to be the 2nd option as a 21 year-old.  Not many 21-year old's can handle that kind of pressure.  There aren't many 6'10' PF's who can get their own shot like he can and who are as athletic.  In the right system and with the right coaching, he can be an 8-10 year All-star, imho.

And not to many good 21 year old players shrink so badly that they get benched.  

He had one big season when the team had no talent (so someone had to score.  His rebounding was still weak for a guy that is suppose to be a PF)

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday

May I ask why?

He had one big season when the team had no talent (so someone had to score.  His rebounding was still weak for a guy that is suppose to be a PF)

When I watch him play, I just see someone who is remarkably dynamic at the 4.  I think that in Doc's system, we'd get him the right kind of shots and he'd get a ton of easy baskets with Rondo at the helm.  He'd also cause all kinds of matchup problems.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

May I ask why?

When I watch him play, I just see someone who is remarkably dynamic at the 4.  I think that in Doc's system, we'd get him the right kind of shots and he'd get a ton of easy baskets with Rondo at the helm.  He'd also cause all kinds of matchup problems.

I see a stat hanger that had one really good scoring season but is regressing this season.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I like Michael Beasley as a medium term project as an undersized power forward in the mold of a David West. I'd be very happy to take him on if the asking price is low (late first round pick).

However, I wouldn't expect him to make any meaningful contribution to this year's team and may in fact make them worse in the immediate sense. He would a player you take on for what he can give 2-3 years down the line and for what he offers for the next 5-7 years beyond that.

Also, I greatly dislike Beasley as a small forward. Only interested in him as a PF.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
O'neal, JJJ, Bradley, and our own #1 pick could get it done.
I don't think Avery Bradley or JJJ offer any value to the T'Wolves given their options at PG and PF.

PG - Rubio, Ridnour, Barea
PF - Love, Randolph, Tolliver

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Basiically, if you gave all of Beasley’s minutes to Williams, the Wolves could easily have won 4-5 games by now. No, I’m not joking. Beasley is truly earth-shatteringly bad. To put in perspective what a selfish chucker Beasley is, he ranks 8th among small forwards the NBA in FGA per 48 minutes (50 minutes minimum), but fifty-first in true shooting. No, not 51st in the NBA, 51st among small forwards. That means that essentially all of the starting SFs and two-thirds of the back-up SFs in the league are shooting better than he is, but he’s shooting 22 shots per 48. And I don’t keep stats for “contested 22-footers per 48″ but having watched every Timberwolves game I’m going to guess he leads the league by a fat margin, ahead of even Kobe (I’m guessing that’s the reason that he’s 25th among small forwards at getting to the line, despite all those shots). Oh, yeah, and he turns the ball over a ****ton. In short, Beasley is the very definition of a player that shoots you out of games. Every single time they choose to iso Beasley instead of just letting Ridnour or Rubio create off the dribble / pick-n-roll, a Timberwolf pup dies in the wild.

7 game sample size.  Where is/was the article that talks about him shooting 45% from the field, 37% from deep, and 75% from the line last year? 

Presumably, the same guy who wrote the article watched T-Wolves games last year, as well.  Beasley took essentially the same inefficient shots last year -- they just aren't falling this year.  Even when his shots are falling, though, he does so at the expense of ball movement and getting his teammates involved.  He's also a terrible defender, especially at SF.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

May I ask why?

I see a stat hanger that had one really good scoring season but is regressing this season.
He actually has put up fairly similar efficiency numbers throughout his career.  He took more shots last year than he had in years past, but his efficiency has been fairly consistent.  He is not shooting nearly as well this year, but is taking less shots and is rebounding more
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Please, no.  Not Michael Beasley.

May I ask why?

Because he's awful.  Currently he's probably the least efficient player in the NBA, averaging less than a point per shot attempt and 3 turnovers per assist. Ugh!!

I guess you could say he's just off to a bad start, but his career numbers aren't much better.  

I don't like him and don't think he'd be a good fit for the Celtics.  

I understand his #'s this year haven't been great, but it's a small sample size.  He shot 45% from the field last year, 37% from deep, and 75% from the line. That's pretty efficient if you ask me.  He basically put up 19 and 6 in 32 minutes a game last year, and I actually think he's a better player than Jeff Green.

Even with those numbers last year, he was still pretty inefficient.  He still turned the ball over more than he assisted.  He also didn't get to the line very often or make a lot of threes.  Ergo, his efficiency numbers where still pretty crappy.

He's a gunner who doesn't do too much well.  I'll pass.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »

Offline toine83

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Ridnour and Randolph sounds better. I would give Bradley, Dooling, Wilcox. Bass, Daniels or even the 2 rookies.
Horrible moves by Ainge this season. Adding the basketball IQ of all these guys youn can get a basketball player...

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
How soon can we trade the rooks or FA signees?

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Why would the Wolves want to trade for anything we got ?  

The only big asset we got is Rondo, Bass and Allen .  

The rest isn't worth a bag of cheeseburgers.

Face it the T-Wolves are LOADED with young talent , and were are loaded a bunch of has beens.

I find myself watching alot of T-Wolve games....they are exciting to watch...

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »

Offline toine83

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Maybe we can trade Pierce for Love, Rubio, Williams, Randolph and Ridnour.
With his last 2 games Kahn will accept