Author Topic: Mavericks (5-5) at Celics (4-4) 1/11  (Read 74667 times)

Mavericks (5-5) at Celics (4-4) 1/11
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Dallas Mavericks (5-5) at Boston Celtics (4-4)
Wednesday, January 11
8:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #9 – Home Game #5
TV:  ESPN, CSN-NE, FSSW-DAL, NBAC
Radio:  WEEI, KESN
TD Garden 

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Delonte West

Shooting Guard

vs 
Ray Allen vs Vince Carter

Small Forward

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Shawn Marion

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Dirk Nowitski   

Center

vs 
Jermaine O'Neal vs Brendan Haywood 

Celtics Reserves
Brandon Bass
Mickael Pietrus
Chris Wilcox
Keyon Dooling
Sasha Pavlovic
Greg Stiemsma
Avery Bradley
E'Twaun Moore
JaJuan Johnson

Injured
Marquis Daniels (illness)  questionable

Dallas Reserves
Rodrigue Beaubois
Brian Cardinal
Yi Jianlian
Dominique Jones
Ian Mahinmi
Lamar Odom
Jason Terry
Brandan Wright
Sean Williams 

Injuries
Jason Kidd (back)  out   

Team Connections
Mavs head coach Rick Carlisle played for the Celtics from 1984‐87 and was a member of the 1985‐86 championship team
Marquis Daniels played for the Mavericks from 2003‐06
Jermaine O’Neal played for Rick Carlisle in Indiana from 2003‐07
E’Twaun Moore, JaJuan Johnson and Brian Cardinal all attended Purdue University
Delonte West was drafted by the Celtics with the 24th overall pick in the 2004 Draft and played for the Celtics from 2004‐07 and during the 2010‐11
season
Brandon Bass played for the Mavericks from 2007‐09
Bass, Mickael Pietrus and Vince Carter were teammates in Orlando
from 2009‐10
Keyon Dooling and Vince Carter were teammates in New Jersey 2008‐09 season
Lamar Odom and Keyon Dooling were teammates on the LA Clippers from 2000‐03
Chris Wilcox and Lamar Odom were teammates on the LA Clippers during the 2002‐03 season
Chris Wilcox and Delonte West were teammates in Seattle during the 2007‐08 season.

Game Notes
This is the first meeting between the Celtics and the reigning NBA Champs.  The Mavs won the series last year 2-0, but both teams have undergone a considerable makeover since last season.  The Celtics are 3-1 at home while the Mavs are 1-3 on the road. 

The Mavericks are fresh off their visit to the White House and are playing in the second of back to back games, having beaten the Pistons in Detroit on Tuesday night.  The Celtics are coming off a rare 4 day break after their embarrassing loss to the Pacers on Friday. 

The Celtics should get a boost from the debut of Mickael Pietrus, who is finally ready to play after taking a couple of weeks to rehab from off season knee surgery.  He is ready to play and Doc said that his practice on Tuesday was sensational.  The Celtics can use his toughness and scoring off the bench.  Marquis Daniels missed the last 2 practices and may miss this game so Pietrus' debut couldn't come at a better time. 

The Celtics need a win in this game to erase the memory of the debacle against the Pacers.  Both the Celtics and Mavs have struggled out of the gates this season.  Hopefully the Celtics can get on track and get a win in this one. 

Key Matchups
  vs
Rajon Rondo vs Delonte West
These two have gone up against each other many times as teammates. Now, they face each other on opposite sides.  I'm sure Delonte will be intent on proving to the Celtics that they made a mistake by not signing him this season so Rondo will have a fight on his hands. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Dirk Nowitski 
This should be a great matchup.    Dirk has the capability of taking over a game and KG will need to concentrate on his defense to keep him from having a big game.  Both have been playing well and so this should be fun to watch.  Hopefully KG comes to play and is able to keep Dirk from having a big night

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Vince Carter
Ray has been the most consistent Celtic so far this season and has been averaging a mind boggling 63.4% from beyond the arc.  Vince Carter has never been known for his defense and even less for fighting through screens on defense.  Hopefully Ray will continue his hot streak in this game as well. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound - Rebounding is so crucial to getting a win.  When the Celtics put out the effort to grab rebounds, more often than not, they are going to get the win.  In their last game, the Celtics allowed the Pacers to out-rebound them 47-36.  The Celtics have to give a better effort on the boards if they want to win this one. 

Defense - Defense is always crucial to getting a win.  Defense wins games is not just a cliche, it is the truth.  The Celtics must play tough team defense in this and every game.  Against the Mavs, defense is especially crucial because they can put points on the board very quickly.

Bench Play - The bench has been inconsistent so far this season and has struggled to score at times.  They should get a boost from the debut of Mickael Pietrus.  Doc described his performance in practice as sensational.  After their performance against the Pacers,  the Celtics could use some sensational.   

Score the Ball - The Celtics scored just 25 points in the first half of their last game.  They have to run the offense and hit their shots.  They can't expect to win if they shoot 39% and score 25 points in a half. 

X-Factor
Rest vs Rust
The Mavs are playing in the second of back to back games while the Celtics have had 4 days off.  The 4 days of rest hopefully will result in a rested and sharp Celtics team that has worked out the kinks in the offense rather than a team that looks rusty because they haven't played in 4 days.   

Re: Mavericks (5-5) at Celics (4-4) 1/11
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
great job.

first real test of the season for us now we've had a few games to get into our rhythm and had a few days off to practice.

We could get blown out at home if we aren't careful here.

Can't wait to see Pietrus either.

I give you your 1100th Tommy point too.
 :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ah, bummer, Kidd is still out. Too bad he's going to miss this one.

Kidd is still one of the most enjoyable players in the league to watch. Always love watching him and Rondo go at it too.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

cant wait

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
so looking forward to this game.  it should be a great matchup.  Dallas looks better on paper -- can't believe they've had so much trouble this year.

I'm trying not to pin so much on a single game but it'd be tough to shrug off a loss in this one.  They've had lots of rest (and it's early in the season still), practice time and Pietrus is joining the team which fills the hole left by the one injured player (Quisy).

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
i want to see a blowout tbh the c's can do it they just need to be more confident with their shooting the bench and rebounding is key

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:49 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
The real season begins now! No more excuses!
Looking forward to Delonte's return, MP's debut and KG's defense on Dirk..
On a side note, seems Odom doesn't fit well with the Mavs.. think we can trade for him? I mean he can be a free agent next season (TO) and he's a PF/SF with length, range and experience.. Don't care if he was a Laker but he'd be a good addition here..

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »

Kiorrik

I don't know... this game screams "trap" to me. We should win this -by all means- since Dallas has had a crappy start, we've had the rest and have our full line-up, where they go without their starting point.

Yet, I don't feel comfortable, at all.

Is this going to be the "make it or break it" game? Are we going to play lousy and still win? Are we going to play decent and still lose?

I'd like a blowout, either way, so that we get a decent statement, so that we're either going to be out of excuses, or playing like champions. Obviously, I'll be cheering for the latter :p

It's time.

LET'S GO CELTICS!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Gotta beat this team. Especially when they're on a back to back, otherwise its safe to say we cant give good teams much of a fight this year.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
I say we exploit the Ray Allen Vince Carter matchup early cuz Vinsanity aint gonna wanna run thru all those screens nd chase Ray around

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
The last few days felt like an All Star weekend lay off.  FINALLY we have a game!!!

We should win this one due to the amount of rest we had and I expect to see a lot of jumpers that will fall through.  Let's go Celtics, stay conditioned!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I say we exploit the Ray Allen Vince Carter matchup early cuz Vinsanity aint gonna wanna run thru all those screens nd chase Ray around
Agreed -- Vince hates battling through screens. Ray can get a lot of joy against V.Carter.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Our defense has been making opposing point guards look amazing, so I'm concerned about the kind of production we'll see from Delonte / Roddy Beaubois tonight.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
totally off topic, but you gotta love Nate Robinson :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Re: Mavericks (5-5) at Celtics (4-4) 1/11
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. Go Celtics!