Author Topic: Trade Idea-Pierce to GS  (Read 11330 times)

Re: Trade Idea-Pierce to GS
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
glad to see there's a lot of homers here.

A mid teens pick in a strong draft, a lotto pick last year, great shooter in Dorrell, and a prospect with great potential for an aging high salary is close to the most we could get for Pierce. Seriously, you think a teams are going to trade their franchise players for a 35 year old albeit top 5 SF guaranteed 3 years/47 mil?

I'm just being realistic here and thinking about the future going forward. I love Pierce but I'm a celtics fan first and trading Pierce while he still has good  value is the smart choice

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »

Offline JustAfam

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
 :o :o.if someone is going to keep making a paul pierce trade at least have it so we would be receiving a superstar in return or close to that.not no bums.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
I don't think there is anything wrong with ideas like this.  I wish Red had traded Bird (et al) when he had the chance to get something.  A unique opportunity awaits as soon as Danny decides that there is nothing he can do to make the current team a contender this year.   When that switch is flipped, I hope he is 'all in' with regard to attaining assets/ potential assets. Promising youth, draft picks and cap space will allow for a chance at a relatively quick rebuild.   

thank you. if this is 2k, yea i'd just mix and match pierce and some crap and acquire the whole timberwolves team! But being realistic, no one's going to trade us the same player 10 years younger. A package of solid assets>1 good 25 year old starter. By cutting off Pierce's deal and getting Kwame's expiring we have enough for 2 maxes now! (unlikely we'd use them but gives us that flexibility) Thompson won't light the world on fire, but as we've seen with Brooks, Cole and countless rookies in the past, the only way to help these guys succeed is throwing them out there on the court. We'd have 3 first round picks, likely two in the teens.

Do the same with KG and Ray (ray probably has the most value of the 3 given his great play so far, least $$$, not a long term commitment, has the most left in the tank with his fountain of youth, plays a shallow position, and the need for 3 point shooting in the NBA) and the celtics could be on their way to a quick rebuild...i just hope Ainge doesn't make the mistakes the teams of the early 90s made

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

A mid teens pick in a strong draft, a lotto pick last year, great shooter in Dorrell, and a prospect with great potential for an aging high salary is close to the most we could get for Pierce. Seriously, you think a teams are going to trade their franchise players for a 35 year old albeit top 5 SF guaranteed 3 years/47 mil?

I'm just being realistic here and thinking about the future going forward. I love Pierce but I'm a celtics fan first and trading Pierce while he still has good  value is the smart choice

I'd rather go for broke this year and then bottom out and rebuild through actual talent rather than around mid-level flotsam.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think there is anything wrong with ideas like this.  I wish Red had traded Bird (et al) when he had the chance to get something.  A unique opportunity awaits as soon as Danny decides that there is nothing he can do to make the current team a contender this year.   When that switch is flipped, I hope he is 'all in' with regard to attaining assets/ potential assets. Promising youth, draft picks and cap space will allow for a chance at a relatively quick rebuild.   

thank you. if this is 2k, yea i'd just mix and match pierce and some crap and acquire the whole timberwolves team! But being realistic, no one's going to trade us the same player 10 years younger. A package of solid assets>1 good 25 year old starter. By cutting off Pierce's deal and getting Kwame's expiring we have enough for 2 maxes now! (unlikely we'd use them but gives us that flexibility) Thompson won't light the world on fire, but as we've seen with Brooks, Cole and countless rookies in the past, the only way to help these guys succeed is throwing them out there on the court. We'd have 3 first round picks, likely two in the teens.

Do the same with KG and Ray (ray probably has the most value of the 3 given his great play so far, least $$$, not a long term commitment, has the most left in the tank with his fountain of youth, plays a shallow position, and the need for 3 point shooting in the NBA) and the celtics could be on their way to a quick rebuild...i just hope Ainge doesn't make the mistakes the teams of the early 90s made

I keep hearing about the mistakes of the early 90s, but show me an example of a team trading their aging superstar in his mid 30s and benefitting from it in the long run.  

I think that keeping Rondo, wishing Ray and KG well as they ride off into the sunset, letting Pierce play out his contract to help bridge the transition, and then using the draft and cap space to rebuild over the next couple of seasons is the right way to go about dealing with this team's future.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 06:20:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i was hoping to see Steph Curry's name in this thread... left when I didn't find it.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett

I keep hearing about the mistakes of the early 90s, but show me an example of a team trading their aging superstar in his mid 30s and benefitting from it in the long run. 

I think that keeping Rondo, wishing Ray and KG well as they ride off into the sunset, letting Pierce play out his contract to help bridge the transition, and then using the draft and cap space to rebuild over the next couple of seasons is the right way to go about dealing with this team's future.
How does trading for a couple young prospects+picks>letting big 3 expire?

I'd rather go for broke this year and then bottom out and rebuild through actual talent rather than around mid-level flotsam.
lol what. RIGHT NOW we're floating in the middle of the league.  we keep pierce put with rondo and an overpaid fa we'll be there even longer. how does letting them expire and having the 20th pick in the draft help you?  trading pierce opens up cap in the future

at the deadline trade at least 2 of the big 3, get some youth, get draft picks, celtics will get a better pick themselves. a couple tank years and we'll be back in the hunt. that's the quick 3 year plan to contend, better than 15 years of flip floppin

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
[quote author=FearTheBeard link=topic=52116.msg1108784#msg1108784
lol what. RIGHT NOW we're floating in the middle of the league.  we keep pierce put with rondo and an overpaid fa we'll be there even longer. how does letting them expire and having the 20th pick in the draft help you?  trading pierce opens up cap in the future

at the deadline trade at least 2 of the big 3, get some youth, get draft picks, celtics will get a better pick themselves. a couple tank years and we'll be back in the hunt. that's the quick 3 year plan to contend, better than 15 years of flip floppin

How in the world is building around Rondo/Dorrel Wright/Klay Thompson and mid-round draft picks a plan to rebuild? If the team is going to bottom out why hitch your wagons to some extremely mediore talent? If you can find good deals for Pierce, I'm all for it, but this deal is terrible. it's not even the best deal of this sort that the cs could get. If Golden State was willing to do that deal then Portland might do a Pierce for Matthews/Batum/1st.

If the Cs  can't do better than that deal, it's better that they let the Big 3 have one last run, let KG and Ray walk and trade Paul this summer.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 08:50:42 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122

ur really serious about this huh? lol you even said urself Pierce is a top 5 SF why trade him for guys who are barely starters nd this draft aint tht strong its a lot of mediocre players in college ball man take a \__

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
No way no how.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Pierce grew up in L.A. not Oakland...

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett

How in the world is building around Rondo/Dorrel Wright/Klay Thompson and mid-round draft picks a plan to rebuild? If the team is going to bottom out why hitch your wagons to some extremely mediore talent? If you can find good deals for Pierce, I'm all for it, but this deal is terrible. it's not even the best deal of this sort that the cs could get. If Golden State was willing to do that deal then Portland might do a Pierce for Matthews/Batum/1st.

If the Cs  can't do better than that deal, it's better that they let the Big 3 have one last run, let KG and Ray walk and trade Paul this summer.
Are you going to tell me that building around Rondo/Avery/JJJ and aging Pierce is a better rebuild plan?

Please tell me what team would make a better offer for Pierce and alert Danny ASAP

And no, that's not our team, trade KG and Allen as well for more pieces. For KG, I see the Nuggets as a possible fit. Wilson Chandler, (assuming it's in march by the trade deadline when chandler comes back, probably becomes an s&t) Kenny Faried and a first round pick. Would probably need Andre Miller in to match salaries with Dooling being sent the other way.
For Ray, his value is actually the highest of the 3, a lot of teams could use him. Memphis, San Antonio, Dallas, Philly, New York, NJ etc. All of those teams other than new york has assets we could use, (philly probably has the most, they might deal us iggy straight up, or they could give a combo of porspects)

With multiple first round picks, cap space, and the player returns from trading the big 3 Boston would be in a much better position for the future

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 01:12:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Are you going to tell me that building around Rondo/Avery/JJJ and aging Pierce is a better rebuild plan?

Please tell me what team would make a better offer for Pierce and alert Danny ASAP

And no, that's not our team, trade KG and Allen as well for more pieces. For KG, I see the Nuggets as a possible fit. Wilson Chandler, (assuming it's in march by the trade deadline when chandler comes back, probably becomes an s&t) Kenny Faried and a first round pick. Would probably need Andre Miller in to match salaries with Dooling being sent the other way.
For Ray, his value is actually the highest of the 3, a lot of teams could use him. Memphis, San Antonio, Dallas, Philly, New York, NJ etc. All of those teams other than new york has assets we could use, (philly probably has the most, they might deal us iggy straight up, or they could give a combo of porspects)

With multiple first round picks, cap space, and the player returns from trading the big 3 Boston would be in a much better position for the future

It's a terrible trade.  Pierce is more valuable to the Celtics.

This trade does not improve the Celtics title chance this season.

This trade adds middle of the road players (at best) to put around Rondo towards the future. 

This is a one sided trade in hopes of stealing a star and leadership to put on the Warriors team. 

It is no different then offering Bradley, Johnson, a first next year and ONeal for cap filler for Curry.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

You have to remember that you're making those other teams better , so those picks are going to be terrible. You've just trade Paul pierce and KG for Dorrell Wright, Klay thompson, Wilson Chandler and two mid 20's picks. Not only are you building moderately above average talent, but you're doing it without increasing the chances of landing a franchise big and saddling us with the contracts of fairly mediocre players. You don't trade for stars for role players and bad picks just because you're in a hurry to rebuild. That's how you end up being the Philadelphia 76ers or the Detroit Pistons.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »

Offline Army_of_One_Nation

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
I'd say the 2012 draft pick is the centerpiece (#12-#14 in draft), Tyler the secondary asset (long term project) and Klay Thompson the third most valuable piece in the puzzle.

With Kwame Brown as nothing more than cap filler since the C's won't be title contenders anymore without Pierce.

The only problem is, if the Warriors 2012 1st round pick is not in the top 7, Utah will own it.
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end."
Larry Bird