Author Topic: Do the C's need to find a new back up point gaurd a long with a Center??  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I know Dooling is a good player, and DA wanted him here a couple years ago. But Dooling just looks bad at the point, and better at the SG.

When Rondo and Peirce are on the bench the offense slows down quite a bit, and Dooling doesn't seem to know how to run the bench at all. He's at times looked great(against Miami) but some times looks worse than Bradley. I know the year is young, but a vet should at least look like he knows what hes doing out there, and can make plays on the fly. he's had a lot of bad passes and turn overs.

Bradley can't run the point, he's great on defense, but offense is horrible with the exception of the last game. But even then he was playing SG, and not really the point.

Moore is not ready to run the team yet, he looks good, but needs some D league time.

So if Rondo goes down, they might be in trouble unless Dooling figures it out really soon. At least last year West filled in nice. With Pietrus coming into the line up soon. Does DA look to move a couple of the other guards, along with JO for a back up C and PG that will be solid, not great but solid??

Re: Do the C's need to find a new back up point gaurd a long with a Center??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I know Dooling is a good player, and DA wanted him here a couple years ago. But Dooling just looks bad at the point, and better at the SG.

I disagree.  I think Dooling has looked perfectly acceptable as a backup point guard so far.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I disagree.  I think Dooling has looked perfectly acceptable as a backup point guard so far.

I don't think he has looked as much of a point guard at all. He's been at his best at a backup SG role, particularly when using Pierce as a point forward.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Is Kenyon Martin a viable "C" candidate after his time in China is over?

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Backing up rondo will make 95% of the pgs in the nba look bad. He is such a unique player and exceptional player that of coarse the style of play will change when he is off the court.

Our second unit needs to just find its identity and Doc needs to manufacture offense with them. With the addition of pietrus i would like to see some lineups of Dooling, Daniels,Pietrus,Bass, and stiemsma. Work daniels on the block against guards and hope he can draw a double team then kick out the open looks.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Is Kenyon Martin a viable "C" candidate after his time in China is over?
Doesn't really solve the problem germane to this team, we're pretty stacked at the 4, and K-Mart is too small to play the 5. 

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
idk, Center is obviously the biggest issue.  Dooling hasn't been around long enough yet for me to say it's time to replace him.  Bradley's proven he can't be effective at this level, but Im still reserving hope Keyon will get it together

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't think backup point is that big of a need.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Frankly, PF is the only spot where I'm comfortable with the current backup.  Pietrus may be that guy at SF.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Frankly, PF is the only spot where I'm comfortable with the current backup.  Pietrus may be that guy at SF.

Yeah.  I also love Dooling, but I like him more as the backup SG than PG.  But at the same time, I don't think the need is nearly as big as it seems right now.  I think as they get more practice together, the second unit is going to get significantly better offensively. 

The other problem is that there aren't that many quality backup PGs out there.  So, an upgrade won't be very easy to find.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I dont think the issue is position related  but rather personnel related.

The main issue is simply, the 2nd unit (entire bench) doesn't have anyone who can create their own offense.
Remember, that would have been Jeff Green.

We simply dont have anyone who can create their own shot when the shot clock is running down, or when the offense breaks down.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

The main issue is simply, the 2nd unit (entire bench) doesn't have anyone who can create their own offense.

We simply dont have anyone who can create their own shot when the shot clock is running down, or when the offense breaks down.

Agreed.  Which will be less of an issue in bigger games, where they are having Rondo and Pierce play more with the second unit, but right now, its a problem.

But I do think this can be solved at least to a point by running more plays, and moving the ball more.  If they get more ball (and player) movement, then it will limit the amount of times they are struggling with the clock running down.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Completely agree. This is where Green is missed the most. The bench should never be out there without Pierce ray or KG though. I'm hoping Pietrus can bring a little shot making abilities of the bench
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think ball movement is the key with just about any offense, but especially when you have a unit that lacks a guy who can create his own shot and/or penetrate and kick out to create for others. If the second unit gets some good motion going on offense, that could very well open up a cutting Marquis, or Dooling and Pietrus spotting up on the three-point line, or they can run pick and pop for Bass and Stiemsma. They just have to avoid being stagnant.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think ball movement is the key with just about any offense, but especially when you have a unit that lacks a guy who can create his own shot and/or penetrate and kick out to create for others. If the second unit gets some good motion going on offense, that could very well open up a cutting Marquis, or Dooling and Pietrus spotting up on the three-point line, or they can run pick and pop for Bass and Stiemsma. They just have to avoid being stagnant.

I love the pick and roll/pop idea.  I am not sure why they don't run more of that.  I don't think Stiemsma has the footwork to pull it off, but both Bass and Wilcox have the skills to be very good pick and roll players.

I really hope one of their new focusses with the second unit will be running the pick and roll  off the elbow with Quisy handling the ball.  He is a very sneaky passer, and should be able to get some things going with those big men.