Author Topic: Warriors pursuing Howard, offering Curry?  (Read 7823 times)

Warriors pursuing Howard, offering Curry?
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As the Orlando Magic consider deals for Dwight Howard, the Golden State Warriors have emerged as aggressive suitors for the NBA’s best center, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Golden State management is willing to take Howard as a one-season “rental,” with the hope of selling him on signing a long-term deal before he enters free agency this summer. Like most teams, Golden State has inquired with Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith, but the Magic have yet to commit to aggressively pursuing a trade of Howard.

For the Magic to become intrigued with package, two things would likely have to appeal to them: rebuilding around young point guard Stephen Curry; and the Warriors’ salary-cap space to absorb the three years and $34 million left on Hedo Turkoglu’s contract. The possibility of the pursuit could be complicated by questions about the sturdiness of Curry’s surgically repaired right ankle. The Warriors are willing to part with either of their two guards – Curry or Monta Ellis – but teams clearly will watch how Curry recovers from his recurring ankle sprains.

Far from frontrunners, Golden State’s best chance of acquiring Howard could come with a failure of the Magic and Los Angeles Lakers to agree on a deal centered on Andrew Bynum. Howard has told Orlando management that he would sign extensions with three teams – the Dallas Mavericks, Lakers and New Jersey Nets – but the Nets and Mavericks aren’t in strong position to make deals for Howard.

Orlando has been iffy on Nets center Brook Lopez, who has been lost for several weeks with a broken foot. Howard has indicated the Nets are his preference, and they do have the salary-cap space to sign him this summer. Still, Orlando has until the March 15 trade deadline to get a return on Howard, who insists he will leave as a free agent.

Despite Howard’s preference to go to the Brooklyn-bound Nets to play with Deron Williams, those close to Howard still believe he’s fluctuating on his future and could be sold on different scenarios.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_dwight_howard_warriors_010512

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Warriors pursuing Howard, offering Curry?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like Hedo Turkoglu (SF), Dorell Wright (SG) and Monta Ellis (PG) as a combination alongside a Dwight Howard and a David Lee.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
would be kind of a sad showing on the state of the NBA players currently if 2 of the biggest stars would choose the Clippers and Warriors over a team like the celtics

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I like Hedo Turkoglu (SF), Dorell Wright (SG) and Monta Ellis (PG) as a combination alongside a Dwight Howard and a David Lee.
The Warriors would be a scary team for sure.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Howard has indicated the Nets are his preference, and they do have the salary-cap space to sign him this summer. Still, Orlando has until the March 15 trade deadline to get a return on Howard, who insists he will leave as a free agent.

Despite Howard’s preference to go to the Brooklyn-bound Nets to play with Deron Williams, those close to Howard still believe he’s fluctuating on his future and could be sold on different scenarios.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_dwight_howard_warriors_010512

Well, Boston will also have enough cap space this summer, and since he's apparently open to other sales pitches, I think "Max contract, you'd get to play with Rondo and Pierce, and the offense will go through you" sounds like a pretty good scenario -- it would to me, I know that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
doubt the Magic could be that interested (right now) considering Curry's constant ankle issues
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
doubt the Magic could be that interested (right now) considering Curry's constant ankle issues
That should be a concern, but Howard is gone anyways so why not get something for him.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
What expiring contracts do they have besides Kwame that would allow them to take back both Hedo and Dwight? Would the Magic want Biendris?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Howard has indicated the Nets are his preference, and they do have the salary-cap space to sign him this summer. Still, Orlando has until the March 15 trade deadline to get a return on Howard, who insists he will leave as a free agent.

Well, Boston will also have enough cap space this summer, and since he's apparently open to other sales pitches, I think "Max contract, you'd get to play with Rondo and Pierce, and the offense will go through you" sounds like a pretty good scenario -- it would to me, I know that.
Agreed. He would be a dumb*** if he signs with the Nets. We have the best passer in the NBA, and a darn good Vet in Pierce.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

That looks like the Magic of a few years ago. Below average defense and surrounding Howard with guys who just like to shoot a lot and hell hold down the paint.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice

Agreed. He would be a dumb*** if he signs with the Nets. We have the best passer in the NBA, and a darn good Vet in Pierce.
[/quote]

Ya I've been thinking a team of Dwill and howard, even with some other FA additions (who else would join them for less money?) will be bad. In that case, if he doesnt come here I hope he goes to Brooklyn.

If i were the magic, I wouldnt want Bynum (LA), Lopez(NJ), or Curry (GS) in exchange due to recent injuries or injury prone players.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

That looks like the Magic of a few years ago. Below average defense and surrounding Howard with guys who just like to shoot a lot and hell hold down the paint.

A team that was a Courtney Lee missed layup and a few Dwight Howard missed FT's away from an NBA championship
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

A team that was a Courtney Lee missed layup and a few Dwight Howard missed FT's away from an NBA championship

A team that was a KG knee injury away from getting killed in the second round, possibly a Leon Powe knee injury from losing anyways.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yeah that team looks pretty strong on paper but I dont see that line up being a serious title contender. Plus, theres no way Dwight signs an extension to play with the Warriors... No sir.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice

Woahhh, hold on. This team barely got by us without KG. No comparison to our championship run 7 game series. This team also had 0% chance of beating LA especially since Bynum was back. The fact that they made it as far as they did even without Jameer Nelson is a miracle.

And a "few dwight howard missed ft's away" from a title? That's like us in '10 a few missed ft's and 3pt attempts by Rondo. Magic only exists on the jersey.