Poll

ABradley made the rotation - Good news or Bad news?

Doc sticks to pecking order...and it's Bradley's turn
18 (32.7%)
Just showcasing the kid
23 (41.8%)
The kid is that good - he deserves it
14 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: ABradley made the rotation - what does that tells you?  (Read 13663 times)

Re: Poll: ABradley made the rotation - what does that tells you?
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Honestly, it tells me that Doc is losing his touch as a coach if it tells me anything at all.

Being a good player in basketball means being good on both offense and defense, or being so good at one or the other it makes up for your weaknesses. Clearly, Bradley's weakness is his offense. So does his defense make up for it?

Well unfortunately, when you set the bar for ineptitude so high, it's a little difficult make up for it. Bradley is averaging .15% from the field. FIFTEEN PERCENT. Not only that, but playing as a point guard (or at least masquerading as one at 6 foot 2) he averages a SINGLE assist per 36 minutes! He also has the worst handles I've ever seen for an NBA player, including all centers I've ever seen dribble the ball up the court.

Bradley's offense is simply so bad that even if he were Gary Payton reincarnated on defense I don't think he would deserve any burn.

So what you're really suggesting is that he should be replaced by E'Twaun Moore, who is shooting 0% for the season (or for his entire NBA career for that matter). Sorry, but your logic doesn't make much sense.

Hey, thanks for totally mis-characterizing what I said and then telling me "my" logic doesn't make any sense.

Stop pretending like Bradley is a rookie. He's in his second year in the league and hasn't shown a thing.

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Honestly, it tells me that Doc is losing his touch as a coach if it tells me anything at all.

Being a good player in basketball means being good on both offense and defense, or being so good at one or the other it makes up for your weaknesses. Clearly, Bradley's weakness is his offense. So does his defense make up for it?

Well unfortunately, when you set the bar for ineptitude so high, it's a little difficult make up for it. Bradley is averaging .15% from the field. FIFTEEN PERCENT. Not only that, but playing as a point guard (or at least masquerading as one at 6 foot 2) he averages a SINGLE assist per 36 minutes! He also has the worst handles I've ever seen for an NBA player, including all centers I've ever seen dribble the ball up the court.

Bradley's offense is simply so bad that even if he were Gary Payton reincarnated on defense I don't think he would deserve any burn.

So what you're really suggesting is that he should be replaced by E'Twaun Moore, who is shooting 0% for the season (or for his entire NBA career for that matter). Sorry, but your logic doesn't make much sense.

Hey, thanks for totally mis-characterizing what I said and then telling me "my" logic doesn't make any sense.

Stop pretending like Bradley is a rookie. He's in his second year in the league and hasn't shown a thing.
I'm not misrepresenting anything. When you say he doesn't deserve any burn, you have to consider the alternatives. And at this point, you don't really have many people to give his glorious 8 mpg burn to :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Seeing as how Doc does weird things the rotation I think it might show me.....nothing

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The only way bradley playing over Moore or JJJ can be positive to me, is if he somehow shows something that another team likes, and our playing him now ends up allowing us to move him more easily in a trade later in the season. 

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What exactly has Johnson and Moore shown at the pro level that has so many people wanting to play them instead of the players that are getting playing time?

Bradley has shown nothing offensively thus far this season but has been very good defensively, which after all is half the game. But Moore has shown nothing offensively and has been awful defensively. Johnson simply should be happy to be dressing given he has JO, KG, Wilcox, Bass and Steimsma in front of him.

The Celtics need a guard that at this point can shut down a PG while Rondo is sitting and any offense that PG gives them is a bonus thereafter. That's what Bradley is giving them right now.

His shot will come and his inability to handle the ball is being ridiculously over exaggerated. He showed a nice cross over dribble drive yesterday. He showed a good handle weaving between players and getting a shot off after getting the rebound just before the end of the half. He also ran a couple of decent plays as the PG tonight as well.

But when Dooling or Marquis is starting a play, Bradley is standing in the corner waiting for the kick out, which is his roll on that very old offensive set being run by the Celtics. When he's option #5 for so many called plays how exactly is he supposed to show any offense?

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the comparison between Stiesma and Bradley is a good example...thanks for bringing it.  Stiesma is considered a rookie, while Bradley is a second year player.  Stiesma clearly belongs on the floor - on his rookie year I might add.  Heck, I would even go as far as saying, he(Stiesma) is not getting enough minutes.

I should point out that Stiemsma was undrafted after college and spent three years in Europe/D-League, so he's not a young rookie (more like Gary Neal).  I consider Bradley to be a project who we might not be able to be sure if he is a bust until he is 23 or 24.  I think Ainge gambled that Bradley might be ready a couple of years earlier.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Is he this bad? or is it a confidence problem? all in all, I'm not impressed. He has pointguard body with Kendrick Perkins handles. A shooting guard who can't shoot. He's heralded for his defense; even there Avery is prone to get crossed-over a lot. This kid is mess right now.

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Is he this bad? or is it a confidence problem?

Either way he should spend the season in the D-League.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
Why should I be impressed that Bradley was able to contain Jordan Crawford, who is basically NBDL fodder and not even a PG to boot? I think Bradley went up against Wall twice, fouling him once and allowing him to blow by for an easy layup the other time. He seems to have decent raw skill as a man defender, but that's it - still a liability against good players and hasn't shown that he can excel within a team D.

He's a complete negative on the offensive end. He isn't asked to do anything more complicated on that side because he doesn't appear capable of doing anything complicated at this level. What raw talent is there on offense? I don't see it. He has a long, long way to go before he even hits Tony Allen upside.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
His shot will come and his inability to handle the ball is being ridiculously over exaggerated.
I doubt that, since he never had much of a shot to begin with. He's now progressed to "absolutely, totally and unquestionably horrific" on offense to "somewhat mediocre to still useless".

Here's to hoping he could keep it up and get to average (which will involve not committing horrible turnovers, hitting at least some shots, and generally playing within himself and the system), at which point he may have the chance to stick around.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:29 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
My assumption is that Bradley saw time the past 2 games at least in part to help cover Wall.  Will see if he gets time from this point onward...would be surprised if he is now indeed part of the regular rotation, based on what he's shown....

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2012, 03:53:18 AM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
The problem is that basketball is played on both sides of the court. Bradley isn't simply a center who can mostly make himself invisible on offense and put in the occasional putback. He's supposed to be a point guard, but he's not even CLOSE to being able to run an offense, and the entire bench offense suffers because of it. The kid sucks. I'd take just about any backup pg over Bradley at this point. Hell, I guarantee you there are some undrafted pg's and d-leaguers that are better than this kid

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The problem is that basketball is played on both sides of the court. Bradley isn't simply a center who can mostly make himself invisible on offense and put in the occasional putback. He's supposed to be a point guard, but he's not even CLOSE to being able to run an offense, and the entire bench offense suffers because of it. The kid sucks. I'd take just about any backup pg over Bradley at this point. Hell, I guarantee you there are some undrafted pg's and d-leaguers that are better than this kid
He can sit in the corner and generally not get in the way -- much like Tony Allen did for a large bulk of his time with the Celtics.

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Bradley's similarities to young Rondo:
good defense
"cat-quick"
no shooting ability
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Bradley's similarities to young Rondo:
good defense
"cat-quick"
no shooting ability

Yeah but no handle. Worse than TA with handling the rock outside the 3 pt line. He can be a line drive slasher but that's it.

He can certainly improve in that area though! Still a young guy.