Author Topic: Westbrook-Durant altercation (Let the Rondo for Westbrook trade ideas begin)  (Read 17859 times)

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
rondo > westbrook

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
The Thunder have no interest in Rondo and they shouldn't.  With Perkins, Ibaka, Rondo on the floor, they would have three non-scorers (or non-shooters, at least), making it far easier to deny Durant the ball, double Durant, etc...  Their floor spacing would be awful.

Let's not forget that part of the reason Rondo has been successful in Green is that the floor is spaced perfectly for him.  He can get anywhere he wants to go.  He is playing with the best shooter of all time and one of the best shooting bigs of all time (and Paul Pierce ain't bad either).

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Let the West-brick for Rondo trade ideas NOT begin ... I've seen enough of them for one year. Let Durant, et al, deal with his attitude and immaturity another few years until he learns to grow up. Don't want him in green now, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:34:48 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Secondly, Rondo is showing C's glimpses of the future. Where he single-handedly dismantled the Cavaliers in 2010. His shooting is coming around. 6 years into his NBA career, Rondo has a lot of room to improve as a player. Last but not least, Sam Presti has gotten the better of Danny Ainge. I would advice DA to stay far away from Sam Presti. Last time those two made a deal, Celtics got fleeced.
If the future is a place where Rondo will put up massive fantasy stats, but we're going to lose, ship him out of town right away. Someone like Mo williams can do that for a fraction of  the cost ;)

Rondo has been asked to be the alpha dog this season, and so far he hasn't gotten it done. The Big 3 may not be viable first options anymore -- but they're still a pretty good supporting cast. Probably better than anything we will be able to put around Rondo for a while.

Rondo's the one who hasn't been getting it done?

And you really think the squad we have out there is great supporting cast?  JO has played like the worst offensive player in the league and his defense has been slow and ineffective.  KG has been extremely disappointing to start.  We get nothing from the 3 position each night.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Secondly, Rondo is showing C's glimpses of the future. Where he single-handedly dismantled the Cavaliers in 2010. His shooting is coming around. 6 years into his NBA career, Rondo has a lot of room to improve as a player. Last but not least, Sam Presti has gotten the better of Danny Ainge. I would advice DA to stay far away from Sam Presti. Last time those two made a deal, Celtics got fleeced.
If the future is a place where Rondo will put up massive fantasy stats, but we're going to lose, ship him out of town right away. Someone like Mo williams can do that for a fraction of  the cost ;)

Rondo has been asked to be the alpha dog this season, and so far he hasn't gotten it done. The Big 3 may not be viable first options anymore -- but they're still a pretty good supporting cast. Probably better than anything we will be able to put around Rondo for a while.

And you really think the squad we have out there is great supporting cast?  JO has played like the worst offensive player in the league and his defense has been slow and ineffective.  KG has been extremely disappointing to start.  We get nothing from the 3 position each night.

Getting it done = getting a win. So yeah, with this supporting cast Rondo hasn't been getting it done.

And if you think you'll pick up a bunch of roleplayers that will contribute better than Garnet, Allen and Pierce will -- you're delusional.

Pierce/Garnet/Allen on their last legs > average league role-player.

So yeah. Rondo has been a great piece, and his contribution has been amazing when the team didn't live and die by it. But I'm yet to see any indication that he can put the team on his back and carry it to wins with just average supporting cast (see Kobe, Durant in their prime, or Tom Brady in other sports).

In this sense, while he's great to have, you either have to acquire a true franchise player, or ship him for one. I fully understand the management's attempts to achieve this, especially given that we'll probably only be able to get a very-good-but-not-great player through free agency next season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Thunder have no interest in Rondo and they shouldn't.  With Perkins, Ibaka, Rondo on the floor, they would have three non-scorers (or non-shooters, at least), making it far easier to deny Durant the ball, double Durant, etc...  Their floor spacing would be awful.

Perkins and Rondo would be non-shooters, but Ibaka can hit a 15ft jumpshot better than most PF's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Perkins and Rondo would be non-shooters, but Ibaka can hit a 15ft jumpshot better than most PF's.
Sefolosha is pretty darn awful in this respect too.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So Westbrook yells at his teammate to shoot the ball and he is all of a sudden a selfish prick.  Funny.

Well it's not all of a sudden and not the only reason, but it is a definite indication. Selfish doesn't just mean shooting the ball all the time. it means thinking of yourself first, and the fact that Westbrook gets to the point of having an altercation with the by far best player on the team because a guy doesn't shoot when HE passes the ball to him pretty much indicates that this guy is living in his own world.

whoever started the Starbury comparison seems to be right on the money, extremely talented but just off, for whatever reason...it just seems like there is always gonna be some drama around this guy that detracts from the team.
that by far best player started the altercation with Westbrook. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The Thunder have no interest in Rondo and they shouldn't.  With Perkins, Ibaka, Rondo on the floor, they would have three non-scorers (or non-shooters, at least), making it far easier to deny Durant the ball, double Durant, etc...  Their floor spacing would be awful.

Sefolosha is pretty darn awful in this respect too.

True but have you been watching Harden? The guy should be starting on 25 of the 30 NBA teams, at least. That Sefelosha situation will change, likely with sef keeping his starting gig but his minutes further decreasing.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Getting it done = getting a win. So yeah, with this supporting cast Rondo hasn't been getting it done.

And if you think you'll pick up a bunch of roleplayers that will contribute better than Garnet, Allen and Pierce will -- you're delusional.

Pierce/Garnet/Allen on their last legs > average league role-player.

So yeah. Rondo has been a great piece, and his contribution has been amazing when the team didn't live and die by it. But I'm yet to see any indication that he can put the team on his back and carry it to wins with just average supporting cast (see Kobe, Durant in their prime, or Tom Brady in other sports).

In this sense, while he's great to have, you either have to acquire a true franchise player, or ship him for one. I fully understand the management's attempts to achieve this, especially given that we'll probably only be able to get a very-good-but-not-great player through free agency next season.

Durant isn't really in his prime and he hasn't carried a team that far. Kobe, in his prime, carried the Lakers to 3 straight 35-45 win seasons. But if you can ship Rondo out for a franchise player that can carry a team on his back, go for it.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
So Westbrook yells at his teammate to shoot the ball and he is all of a sudden a selfish prick.  Funny.

All of a sudden? Did you miss the playoffs last year?

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wouldn't look too much into this, Westbrook was probably just frustrated with his performance.  Although, I don't like Westbrook and Durant on the same team...Westbrook needs to find a different niche on that team.  Durant is the scorer, Westbrook needs to become the PG.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
no westbrook. I'm not against trading RR, but it can't be for this moron.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So Westbrook yells at his teammate to shoot the ball and he is all of a sudden a selfish prick.  Funny.

All of a sudden? Did you miss the playoffs last year?

Yeah, I actually thought odds of this kind of trade happening were about 1,000 times higher after Westbrook's collapse last year in the playoffs. Compared to this weird incident (during, let me say that again, during a win streak on a team favored by many to win the chip this year), the playoffs last season seems a lot more dire.