Author Topic: Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?  (Read 27267 times)

Re: Do you enjoy posting in the Game Threads anymore?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think the game threads are largely a reflection of the site itself.  There's a lot of negativity here.  It's frustrating, but I'm not sure if it's any different than going to a Celtics game when the team is playing poorly. 

The answer still isn't to segregate posters onto separate but equal "negative" and "positive" game threads, though.  Dividing posters by viewpoint goes against everything Jeff wants this site to be.

At the same time, we do have the option of restricting members' access to the game thread forums if they, among other reasons, are "systematically negating the ability of others to enjoy this site".  It sounds like this is the type of behavior people are objecting to.

What I'd say is, if there are individual posters who are disrupting the game threads, report some of their posts, so the staff can take a look.  If appropriate, we can look at restricting access as an option. 

I would note, however, that this problem is at least in part self-created, albeit collectively self-created.  It seems as though many members have left the game threads because they're too "negative".  However, for every person who leaves, that's one less "positive" post.  From my perspective, folks can't really complain about the proportion of negative-to-positive posts, if they're abandoning ship (which effectively makes the negative-to-positive posts even worse).

In an ideal world, all of the folks who want to cheer on the team would band together, and continue posting their thoughts, in an effort to drown out the "negative" ones.  I know this isn't necessarily a realistic goal, but if all the positive / optimistic posters leave, they shouldn't be surprised when all there are is negative posts left.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Now there are some posters in there that just make it a miserable atmosphere.

not to start trouble, but cant the mods tighten things up then? like i said, i avoid the game threads, but if specific members are ruining the atmosphere, shouldnt the mods step in to improve the atmosphere?

i dunno, im just asking the question.  it complicates things if no rules are broken, but if specific people ruin the atmosphere, maybe they shouldnt be allowed in the game threads (just like the "no politics")

We can, and we should.  The problem is that it's a thin line between justifiable frustration and behavior that derails a thread.  However, I do agree that for repeat offenders, it's time to be a little more strict, with the community's help (via reported posts).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:36:43 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
agree with what Roy H. is saying here, but I want to remind people that the MODS will be reviewing posting patterns - the only action the rest of the community should be taking is reporting activity that seems questionable - do not call out posters publicly or attack them on the forums - that only makes everything worse

thanks in advance for understanding
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
agree with what Roy H. is saying here, but I want to remind people that the MODS will be reviewing posting patterns - the only action the rest of the community should be taking is reporting activity that seems questionable - do not call out posters publicly or attack them on the forums - that only makes everything worse

thanks in advance for understanding

Yeah, great clarification there.  When I say "report" offending posts, I mean to do it via the "report to moderator" button.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

not to start trouble, but cant the mods tighten things up then? like i said, i avoid the game threads, but if specific members are ruining the atmosphere, shouldnt the mods step in to improve the atmosphere?

i dunno, im just asking the question.  it complicates things if no rules are broken, but if specific people ruin the atmosphere, maybe they shouldnt be allowed in the game threads (just like the "no politics")

We can, and we should.  The problem is that it's a thin line between justifiable frustration and behavior that derails a thread.  However, I do agree that for repeat offenders, it's time to be a little more strict, with the community's help.

Yeah, I definitely agree that its a really fine line between the two.

The best I can offer, and Roy mentioned it, is report posts/posters to staff.

We'll take a look and discuss it.  Maybe this is something that we need to take a harder look at these days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

We can, and we should.  The problem is that it's a thin line between justifiable frustration and behavior that derails a thread.  However, I do agree that for repeat offenders, it's time to be a little more strict, with the community's help.

Yeah, I definitely agree that its a really fine line between the two.

The best I can offer, and Roy mentioned it, is report posts/posters to staff.

We'll take a look and discuss it.  Maybe this is something that we need to take a harder look at these days.

I never really post in the game threads strictly because its too much volume and to hard to keep up with.  I usually just jot a few notes down and bring them up the next day. 

I can only imagine how tough it might be to moderate that kind of volume, while its going on , it seems almost impossible to me, but kudos to the staff if they can figure out a way to tighten things up.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Some game-thread posters are forgetting the cardinal rule again?

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well then you guys need to talk to Fafnir because he was putting in yeoman's work last night and can tell you the names of at least 4 people who he was calling out for systematically negative posts without justification and insulting other posters including him.

These posters he addressed have been doing this stuff for a couple of years now. 3 in particular mass post, one line tweet-type posts that bring little to nothing to the discussion except to expound on their negative, doom and gloom outlook they have.

If I start reporting to moderator, be warned in advanced that I might report a bunch of these type of posts in mass that if looked at individually are nothing but when you look at the volume of these posts and the pattern, are nothing more than a systematic deconstruction of the atmosphere to one they want to pervade the thread.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Any slight rock in the boat and things here get all 'end of the world'.  I can't imagine what the game threads and whatnot are like on a Bobcats message board...  ::)

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Any slight rock in the boat and things here get all 'end of the world'.  I can't imagine what the game threads and whatnot are like on a Bobcats message board...  ::)

Just as empty as their arena.

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If I start reporting to moderator, be warned in advanced that I might report a bunch of these type of posts in mass that if looked at individually are nothing but when you look at the volume of these posts and the pattern, are nothing more than a systematic deconstruction of the atmosphere to one they want to pervade the thread.

Go for it, then.  The "report to moderator" is there to help bring attention to troublesome items on this site.

This issue clearly seems to be troublesome to many so people need to speak up and hit the button.

The staff will look at those things, trust me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

you are welcome to prepare an email or PM to one of the mods as well - just include links for backup
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
I think the game threads are largely a reflection of the site itself.  There's a lot of negativity here.  It's frustrating, but I'm not sure if it's any different than going to a Celtics game when the team is playing poorly.  

I think the toughest part is that negativity is growing and is probably going to be the trend on this board for a while to come. IMO, celticslbog has been mostly positive since the sites inception back in...I can't even remember now.

There's good reason for this; back when it started the team was building young assets that either we all had hope were going to become great players or great trade assets.   The trade happened and they became contenders, and then champions.

For the life of this blog, the team has mostly been on the up and up.  Right now, we are starting to see it on the decline.  Most of its assets are in deterioration, and years of poor draft placement are proving to have little hope for the future.

If Danny doesn't pull off the very lofty goal of signing an absolute superstar this summer, this board could get ugly fast.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do."¯ - Franklin

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I have to agree with Nick that it's not as much fun as it was a couple of years ago.  I've noticed that many of the long-timers here no longer join in the discussion and personally I feel the game thread isn't as robust or balanced as it once was.

I too saw Fafnir try like heck to bring some order to the thread last night but with the pace of the posts that's a daunting task for anyone.  Not to lump people together but it does seem that the most negative of the posters lately are the newcomers.  I'm not saying all the newcomers are negative, just that the I don't see the long-time posters as demonstrating the hardcore negativity that's been popping up here more and more.

Ideally the community would migrate to a middle ground of tolerance again where everyone could post their viewpoints, positive and critical, and everyone would just accept the opinions of others as just that, opinions.  The game threads of a couple of years ago were much more enjoyable because they offered a better feeling of community amongst the fans/posters that could commonly enjoy great plays, bad officiating, some boneheaded moves even while still rooting for the team to pull out the win.  Now, the threads lack that feeling of community.

just my 2 cents.

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Not to lump people together but it does seem that the most negative of the posters lately are the newcomers.  I'm not saying all the newcomers are negative, just that the I don't see the long-time posters as demonstrating the hardcore negativity that's been popping up here more and more.

There are 2-3  posters who are most vocal and most negative in every game thread...they are old timers...not new members. You can check every game thread in the archives and you'll understand.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi