Author Topic: Rondo's shooting: all psychological?  (Read 12883 times)

Rondo's shooting: all psychological?
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Surprised there isn't more discussion on Rondo's shot. I'm not an expert but the form looks more or less like last year but it was definitely falling today.

Sure, its against the Raptor's defense in a preseason game but his free throws were going in too. The same shots I'm pretty confident would have missed last year.The first preseason game I missed but from the box score he took quite a few attempts in that game (though most/all of them missed I believe).

He's definitely taking the jumper when its there and seems far more confident with it. Reckon the different mindset is serving him well? Was it all psychological before? Thoughts on Rondo's shot?

Re: Rondo's shooting: all psychological?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What's left there to discuss, really? We've been over this multiple times for the past 3 years.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Inconsistent form, combined with a lack of natural talent for it is my thoughts.

Hopefully he fixes the form and becomes better at it.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »

Offline deekhead

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Surprised there isn't more discussion on Rondo's shot. I'm not an expert but the form looks more or less like last year but it was definitely falling today.

Sure, its against the Raptor's defense in a preseason game but his free throws were going in too. The same shots I'm pretty confident would have missed last year.The first preseason game I missed but from the box score he took quite a few attempts in that game (though most/all of them missed I believe).

He's definitely taking the jumper when its there and seems far more confident with it. Reckon the different mindset is serving him well? Was it all psychological before? Thoughts on Rondo's shot?

Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.

DH

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If you look at the best shooters the key to their success is repeating their shot. The more arm movement in your shot the more difficult it is to recreate. Ray Allen flicks his wrist at the top of his jump which makes his shot easily repeatable. Rondo shoots starting at his hip and brings it to the right side of his head. This excess motion makes it harder to repeat which is why he can find himself missing from time to time.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He is clearly being affected by psychic resonances created from Celtics fans criticizing his shot on the internet way too much.  :)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Don't jinx him.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I've always thought it was psychological with him. In 07-08 he was a knockdown catch and shoot player from 18 feet in for the majority of the regular season. He used to catch the ball in the corner 2-3 times a game and was pretty consistent. It wasn't until the play-offs that his shooting took a nose dive. When teams started putting all the extra pressure on him to really start knocking the shot down things fell apart. He was more reluctant to shoot and that killed the offense and when he did shoot he didn't do so with confidence. I haven't seen him duplicate the consistency in shooting since that season, although he's shown flashes in some games. I'm pretty sure the numbers support that his best shooting season was 07-08 regular season. This applies to his jump shooting only though, his free throw shooting has always been horrid.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
At the C's open practice Rondo was taking 13-14 footers unguarded and from the same spot and they were all over the place.  I would say at best he hit 60%.  E Moore did the same, but maybe a little closer range 11-12 and was draining them at about 90%.  His stroke was consistent and so was the arc on every shot.  

We all know Rondo is stubborn and can't take criticism.  His shooting is poor but he probably has too much "pride" to seek assistance.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
He should be forgetting the swishes and use the angles and the backboard. In practice he should be putting x's on the backboard as a target. He's mesmerized by the hoop and net.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
His J looked good last night, Hey i'll take 5 of 6 from the free throw line before I take 5 of 6 from 18 feet. He can get to the rim with ease but sometimes makes an extra pass to not go to the line. If he can knock down his free throws that slows the game down and makes it much easier on the older guys.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline LeoMoreno

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Okay, so... On one hand he can't shoot with confidence from any spot and he can't go to the free throw line.

On the other hand he has 4 reliable guys to pass the ball to, which are open due to his extremely excellent, fast drive and when he does make an extra pass (which is what Doc always insists on anyway) the ball sometimes comes back to him when he's already below the rim ready to finish (as seen last night).

I don't see a problem with this kind of play. I see a problem with Ray's shooting.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »

Offline dmny5000

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
At the C's open practice Rondo was taking 13-14 footers unguarded and from the same spot and they were all over the place.  I would say at best he hit 60%.  E Moore did the same, but maybe a little closer range 11-12 and was draining them at about 90%.  His stroke was consistent and so was the arc on every shot.  

We all know Rondo is stubborn and can't take criticism.  His shooting is poor but he probably has too much "pride" to seek assistance.

He's worked with a shooting coach I think last offseason so it's not a pride issue if he's searching out help. I do think he changed his ft shooting form a tiny bit though. I'll have to look back at the game yesterday but it seemed a little different.

It seems to me like when he takes them with confidence they fall but when he questions it or hesitates it misses. I think his ft% will go up a little this year. Not kidding I really think it will for some reason. I hope he can keep shooting like he did last night. That would add a ton to his game.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »

Offline Capricious

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
When he takes jumpers in rhythm with confidence, it usually looks good.

In 3 of the last 4 years, hes shot above 40% on long twos. Rondo shot at a higher percentage from that range than Rose did last year (41 vs 38).

Rondo
43, 40, 33, 41
Rose
43, 44, 38

I'm more concerned with his 3-9ft % going from 50% (2010) to 27% (2011).  He needs to rediscover his floaters and craftiness around the rim.

Rondos jumper
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I feel like the only reason it has been inconsistent in the past is because he was just thinking about when he would shoot, instead of just reacting to the game. I don;t think it has to do with his form, cause i've seen him make like 15 35 foot threes in a row at the all star game.
If he goes about it how he did last night, the league better watch out....