Author Topic: Trade idea with Orlando  (Read 2656 times)

Re: Trade idea with Orlando
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is like a glimpse into the kind of trade ideas people come up with on MagicBlog. 

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Thank god it works in the trade machine...Cause it sure as heck wont be working anywhere else.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
How about this blockbuster idea...

Rondo for JJ Reddick and Chris Duhon and 2 first round picks. Works in the trade machine.

Why Boston does it: Boston gets 2 more first rounders in the next couple years to add to their depth of talent as the Big 3 heads off into the sunset. Duhon can play solidly enough at the point to keep us in contention. Sure he's not close to Rondo's level, but playing with the big 3 and JO is definitely going to make him better than he is now. If he can't beat out Keyon Dooling then HE becomes the backup. Might even give Avery Bradley a bit more time to see if he can actually play.  JJ gives us a very good backup 2 to give Ray some rest off the bench, plus a possible replacement a year or so from now. This allows Marquis to play more minutes at the 3 spot which gives Paul more rest.

Why Orlando does it: Dwight Howard!!! This gives Dwight a legitimate reason to re-sign with Orlando. If Dwight walks anyway then they have a legitimate trade piece still to be able to blow things up. This year they will be a lot better team with a true PG and won't really lose a lot of their pieces.

If a point guard like Duhon is enough for Boston to contend, a point guard like Rondo will make us favorites to win it all.

Duhon is a solid defensive PG that can bring the ball up under pressure. He shoots the 3 at a very good clip and is a better mid range and FT shooter. My argument is that Rondo's deficiencies cost us more than we would like to admit, and that Duhon is not a ton worse than the Rondo of 2008 when we won it all. He can bring the ball up the floor and play solid defense. It will get the Big 3 and JO more shots which IMO is a smart idea. The ability to get more rest for Ray and Paul through the season by adding JJ will more than compensate for the drop in PG play.

Let's face it. We aren't going to beat the Heat in a playoff series based on Rondo's play anyway. It will take huge efforts from the big 3 and JO.

I'd say that most if not all of this is completely wrong. Duhon is worse than Rondo was in 2008, clearly. But PP/KG/RA aren't the players they were back then either. Rondo's talents add way more to the team than many people realize. We aren't beating Miami *without* Rondo's play. Did you see how the Celts looked against Miami with Delonte playing? That's about what the season would look like with Duhon.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Come on guys. I was just trying to get people talking. I would consider Rondo and Ray for JJ, Jameer, Ryan Anderson, and a couple picks though. As much as I like Ray that would likely do it for me.

Fact is that once the big 3 are gone we suck. We need a bunch of picks and cap space... Rondo by himself is nothing but a guard who can't shoot and no one to pass to.

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Come on guys. I was just trying to get people talking. I would consider Rondo and Ray for JJ, Jameer, Ryan Anderson, and a couple picks though. As much as I like Ray that would likely do it for me.

Fact is that once the big 3 are gone we suck. We need a bunch of picks and cap space... Rondo by himself is nothing but a guard who can't shoot and no one to pass to.

Well Rondo isn't going to play 1-on-5, no matter how much roster space, Danny clears up next summer.

And we have yet to see how much damage he can do with a running team. A lot of people have said that this would be the perfect fit for Rondo. I'm not so sure, because imo a pg in that system should have a pull up jumper.

Anyways, I wouldn't trade Rondo for a downgrade, since he has a very reasonable contract.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 08:30:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We should try and get him someone to pass the ball to then. I don't know that Danny's plan is to replace the big three with D leaguers.