Author Topic: Boston & Phoenix trade Idea.  (Read 8277 times)

Boston & Phoenix trade Idea.
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
This is crazy but we have to do something or this season is lost.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/5954306

Boston sends: Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, and Jermaine O'Neal to Phoenix

Phoenix sends: Steve Nash, Marcin Gortat, Josh Childress,and Jared Dudley to Boston

Why Phoenix does this: With Rondo and Ray Allen, they have a backcourt that can compete against the Los Angelos teams. They also remain deep on the wings and at the big man spots.

Why Boston does this: They shore up the two and three spots plus Center and make one last run with KG, Paul Pierce, and Steve Nash.

Admittedly this is outside the box thinking but Danny is capable of pulling the deal on this.

If you insist on keeping Ray Allen then the best I came up with was Rondo and Jermaine for Gortat and Nash which does not solve anything.

Please do not use misleading titles. Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:12:07 PM by Fafnir »
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Re: Thought I saw Danny Ainge at the Phoenix Airport Last Night
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
This may be the worst trade idea I've seen on this blog..no offense but rondo is better than Nash, and JO and Gortat is a wash.  Ray is way better than Dudley and or Childress.  This deal makes no sense.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
did you actually see somebody who looked like DA down in PHX, or were you just making that up to get post-views?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
This may be the worst trade idea I've seen on this blog..no offense but rondo is better than Nash, and JO and Gortat is a wash.  Ray is way better than Dudley and or Childress.  This deal makes no sense.

Seems like recently, more posts have been made with desperate attempts to rebuild that hurt us so bad, as opposed to the lockout trade ideas where we get Howard and CP3 for rondo and scraps
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
JO and Gortat is a wash.

holy God in heaven, i will make no comment on anything else you said, but this is so far from the truth i don't even know what to call it.

at this point in their careers, gortat is SO much better than JO, not to mention he's a lot more durable.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=onealje01&y1=2011&p2=gortama01&y2=2011

it's really not even anywhere close.  

marcin gortat is an above average starting center in this league.  he's young, he's on a reasonable contract, he's a good finisher, he's a good defender, he's athletic, and he's durable.  he makes similar money to what Perk makes, and honestly, i would take Gortat on my team any day over Perk.  Gortat is a much more complete player, even if he's not on the same level in 1 on 1 post defense (an overrated skill in a league devoid of impact post scorers).  gortat's also a couple inches taller than both Perk and JO.

ideally, JO is a 15-20 minutes per game backup.  he's decent as a backup when he's healthy (which is not often), but if you're relying on him to produce much, you're in trouble.  he also has basically no lift left, and he's got very little quickness.  he's an okay defender, and he can defend 1 on 1 inside and rotate for a block or two now and then.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:01:48 PM by PosImpos »

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »

Offline BostonArizona

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
Ouch, what is with the terrible trades popping up so much on CB recently??

Anyway, I would love Jared Dudley!  ;D

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Phoenix would not make that trade, even if it was good for them.

Celtics should not make that trade for several reasons:
- While Rondo may not be the most beloved player in the league, I think the Celtics have gotten used to him. In other words: Dont mess with team chemistry. We tried that, it didnt work so well.
- Besides chemistry, there is the team defense concept. Nash is notoriously a bad defender and while he might buy into the Celtics defense, I seriously doubt that he could follow through.
- The shortened season means that there is no time to work on the plays in the playbook. Rondo knows Docs playbook better than Doc himself, Ray has been playing it for more than four years, and JO is only now getting comfortable with it. You would start from scratch with this trade, and it would get quite ugly.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
did you actually see somebody who looked like DA down in PHX, or were you just making that up to get post-views?

Yeah, I see this question has still been unanswered.

I love it when people make up absurdly false statements just to get people to read their even more absurd ideas.

Come on man!

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
JO and Gortat is a wash.

holy God in heaven, i will make no comment on anything else you said, but this is so far from the truth i don't even know what to call it.

at this point in their careers, gortat is SO much better than JO, not to mention he's a lot more durable.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=onealje01&y1=2011&p2=gortama01&y2=2011

marcin gortat is an above average starting center in this league.  he's young, he's on a reasonable contract, he's a good finisher, he's a good defender, he's athletic, and he's durable.  he makes similar money to what Perk makes, and honestly, i would take Gortat on my team any day over Perk.  Gortat is a much more complete player, even if he's not on the same level in 1 on 1 post defense (an overrated skill in a league devoid of impact post scorers).  gortat's also a couple inches taller than both Perk and JO.

ideally, JO is a 15-20 minutes per game backup.  he's decent as a backup when he's healthy (which is not often), but if you're relying on him to produce much, you're in trouble.  he also has basically no lift left, and he's got very little quickness.  he's an okay defender, and he can defend 1 on 1 inside and rotate for a block or two now and then.

Gortat's numbers are fairly similar to what JO put up on Miami the year before

http://bkref.com/tiny/wvJVj

Gortat's somewhat better, JO's the better defender. Of JO's reasonbably healthy it's not a wash but it's not as one-sided as you claim.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Ive seen a lot of bad ones...But id have to agree with you.

Re: Boston & Phoenix trade.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This would help address our gaping hole at the 5, but it creates one just as big at the 2.  The upgrade from Rondo to Nash isn't worth completely screwing up our chemistry.  Plus, I'm not sure we could win with Nash either, even if we weren't giving up as much talent.  For all the talk of how Rondo's shooting will prevent us from winning a championship, Nash's abysmal defense is just as big a problem. Imagine him trying to guard Rose in the playoffs

Boston-Phoenix Fact and Fiction
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243

Fact: I was in the Phoenix Airport and I did see a grey haired 6 foot 4 gentlemen at Baggage Claim who looked a lot like Danny Ainge but he did not make eye contact with me so I did bother to strike up a conversation saying hey, "Are you Danny Ainge?"

Fact: I think we will find as the season plays out that the Celtics may have some shortcomings and we may be faced with making deadline deals engineering a fire sale to accumulate assets for the future and saving the teams finances.

Fact: This team could do well and go to the Eastern Finals and lose to the Heat again and then hard decisions have to be made with the roster. None of us here have a clue on how this season and the future play out.

Fact: The Phoenix Suns are in a real similar position as we are but have better core and more depth for the future.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
JO and Gortat is a wash.

marcin gortat is an above average starting center in this league.  he's young, he's on a reasonable contract, he's a good finisher, he's a good defender, he's athletic, and he's durable.  he makes similar money to what Perk makes, and honestly, i would take Gortat on my team any day over Perk.  Gortat is a much more complete player, even if he's not on the same level in 1 on 1 post defense (an overrated skill in a league devoid of impact post scorers).  gortat's also a couple inches taller than both Perk and JO.

Gortat's numbers are fairly similar to what JO put up on Miami the year before

http://bkref.com/tiny/wvJVj

Gortat's somewhat better, JO's the better defender. Of JO's reasonbably healthy it's not a wash but it's not as one-sided as you claim.

it's not fair to point to JO's season in Miami.  he's a different player now.  that last season in Miami was prior to his latest serious knee injury.  we haven't seen anything from JO in the time that he's been here to suggest that he's on the same level as Gortat.  

Gortat's numbers actually are much closer to Perk's last full healthy season (2009-2010).  his defensive numbers aren't as good but he's got a substantial edge offensively (as well as just being a good deal taller / longer).

plus, the health / speed / athleticism factor is huge.  the difference in those categories between the two players is enormous, even if we're viewing JO in the best possible light.

- Doc Rivers

Re: Boston-Phoenix Fact and Fiction
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »

Offline BostonArizona

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
Fact: I think...
???

Fact: The Phoenix Suns are in a real similar position as we are but have better core and more depth for the future.
Suns are not close to being contenders, probably not even a playoff team. Celtics could very realistically win the title this year.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The upgrade from Rondo to Nash isn't worth completely screwing up our chemistry.  Plus, I'm not sure we could win with Nash either, even if we weren't giving up as much talent.  For all the talk of how Rondo's shooting will prevent us from winning a championship, Nash's abysmal defense is just as big a problem. Imagine him trying to guard Rose in the playoffs
[/quote
your own words are conflicting on this.  How is Nash an upgrade when his defense is 'abysmal'? 

Nash is a better shooter, that's it.  Rondo is the superior defender by far, can score (not much of an outside shooter, but he can score) and is certainly as good a passer as Nash or better.