Author Topic: DeShawn Stevenson should be priority number one.  (Read 8338 times)

Re: DeShawn Stevenson should be priority number one.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
no that's why delonte is his replacement

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
you have to imagine that if Stevenson wanted more $$, his options are dwindling as the season is a little over a week away with teams already playing pre-season games.

apparantly Dallas offered him the minimum...but with Carter, terry, Delonte I dont think he would get minutes there.

we can offer him solid minutes on a championship contendor...something other teams might not be able to offer for the Vet-min
Surprised D.Stevenson hasn't parlayed his performance last season into a multi-year contract in the $3 million a year range.

I'd be shocked if D.Stevenson couldn't find someone willing to pay him more than the C's can.

I agree with Who very much on this, however there is no doubt that time is running out and so are teams with money who can contend.  IF he doesn't care about winning he can probably get more money elsewhere but there are few to no contenders that can offer him much more than we can, unless I am missing someone.

I am hopeful.  Would love to have him coming off of our bench, he was strong for the Mavs and wasn't scared of taking big shots.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I hate to break this to you guys but Stevenson has shot less than 40% from the field in each of the last 6 season, under 30% for three of them.  He also hasn't averaged more than 7 points a game since 07-08.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I hate to break this to you guys but Stevenson has shot less than 40% from the field in each of the last 6 season, under 30% for three of them.  He also hasn't averaged more than 7 points a game since 07-08.

Mike
Yeah, but that was okay if he does what he did this past year and just takes 3s.

Anyways its not like we're expecting too much, we're looking for someone to take over for what we had expected of Marquis Daniels initially.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
The Sports Guy made the exact same argument as the OP in favor of Stevenson in his article on Dec. 16.  Might as well cite source:

Five super-duper sneaky veterans are still lingering: Kenyon Martin (trapped in China), Michael Redd (couldn't he drain a few 3s for a contender?), Peja Stojakovic (ditto), DeShawn Stevenson (the LeBron stopper!) and Reggie Evans (last season: 26.5 MPG, 11.5 RPG). If the Celtics don't sign DeShawn soon, I'm throwing a tantrum. The only thing that stops LeBron better than DeShawn Stevenson is the fourth quarter.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7360397/the-eleventh-day-nba-christmas

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
call me crazy but i say give moore major minutes at the backup two

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Mike

You can throw out your stats if you want, and they are legit, but I watched the Playoffs last year and he helped the Mavs win and played great.  I would take him for the vet min any day.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The Sports Guy made the exact same argument as the OP in favor of Stevenson in his article on Dec. 16.  Might as well cite source:

Five super-duper sneaky veterans are still lingering: Kenyon Martin (trapped in China), Michael Redd (couldn't he drain a few 3s for a contender?), Peja Stojakovic (ditto), DeShawn Stevenson (the LeBron stopper!) and Reggie Evans (last season: 26.5 MPG, 11.5 RPG). If the Celtics don't sign DeShawn soon, I'm throwing a tantrum. The only thing that stops LeBron better than DeShawn Stevenson is the fourth quarter.

Two different basketball fans both advocate for the C's to a sign the same player. So naturally the one who raised the prospect second is a plagarist?

Accusations like this should be leveled with more care, and evidence.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford

Two different basketball fans both advocate for the C's to a sign the same player. So naturally the one who raised the prospect second is a plagarist?

Relax...take a chill pill. Then realize that when a thread makes a remark that mirrors the EXACT SAME IDEA of one of the most popular internet sports columnists on the Internet, who just happens to be a huge Celtics fan, it's worth pointing out...don't you think?

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford

Also, where in my post did I say anything about plagarism?  I just said cite the source.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Relax...take a chill pill. Then realize that when a thread makes a remark that mirrors the EXACT SAME IDEA of one of the most popular internet sports columnists on the Internet, who just happens to be a huge Celtics fan, it's worth pointing out...don't you think?
You really think the of signing a FA to the Celtics, you really think that attempting to sign DeShawn Stevenson is a truly original idea?

It was brought up during the lockout by a couple of people, before their was even a new CBA.

If you wanted to link Bill Simmons article, saying he had the same idea, that's fine. But instead you choose to make an accusation that the OP "stole" the idea without attributing it to Bill Simmons, without any evidence or similarity in their construction, based on just the date stamps.

For the record Simmons makes one argument for Stevenson, that he's *jokingly* a LeBron stopper. The OP makes a much longer and detailed post on it.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Also, where in my post did I say anything about plagarism?  I just said cite the source.
pla·gia·rism/ˈplājəˌrizəm/Noun: The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

Your admonishment to "cite the source" is an implicit accusation of the above, and one which is inappropriate. Plagarism is more of a literary/journalistic/academic term so I suppose its a bit out of place on an internet message board, but its accurate.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford

You really think the of signing a FA to the Celtics, you really think that attempting to sign DeShawn Stevenson is a truly original idea?

It was brought up during the lockout by a couple of people, before their was even a new CBA.

If you wanted to link Bill Simmons article, saying he had the same idea, that's fine. But instead you choose to make an accusation that the OP "stole" the idea without attributing it to Bill Simmons, without any evidence or similarity in their construction, based on just the date stamps.

For the record Simmons makes one argument for Stevenson, that he's *jokingly* a LeBron stopper. The OP makes a much longer and detailed post on it.

Glad to hear you prefer the poster's argument to the Sports Guy.  Still don't understand why a Mod is discouraging people from trying to post legitimate links to legitimate sources.  If it was unintentional and the OP never read the SG article, it's still relevant to post the connection.

I'm not talking about some random post on RealGM that replicates this argument or some old thread on CB.  The Sports Guy is probably the most read sports writer on the internet.  So it is relevant.

Please stop bullying people from your position as a mod.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Glad to hear you prefer the poster's argument to the Sports Guy.  Still don't understand why a Mod is discouraging people from trying to post legitimate links to legitimate sources.  If it was unintentional and the OP never read the SG article, it's still relevant to post the connection.
I never said Bill Simmons article wasn't relevant to the discussion. I said the implication that he failed to cite the "source" of his idea is inappropriate.

I'm not talking about some random post on RealGM that replicates this argument or some old thread on CB.  The Sports Guy is probably the most read sports writer on the internet.  So it is relevant.
I don't think assuming that all CB posters have read every Bill Simmons article within two days of its publication is a reasonable one.

Being told not to make unfounded accusations towards another member isn't bullying. If you'd care to discuss it more we can do so in PMs I'm done addressing the issue in this thread.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

ugh.  i think some one is just looking for a fight here.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers