Author Topic: Judy Collins/Arlo Guthrie concert  (Read 2367 times)

Judy Collins/Arlo Guthrie concert
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I went to a Judy Collins/Arlo Guthrie concert last night.  I am a huge Judy Collins fan and have been for years.  (Yes they are old, so am I.)

I knew of Arlo Guthrie, knew he was the son of folk icon Woodie Guthrie (This Land is Your Land) and I knew of his songs "Alice's Restaurant" and "City of New Orleans"  (I was a follower of folk music...even schlepped my own guitar around...). Last night Arlo opened for Judy and he was absolutely terrific!  Although his voice can best be described as slightly better than Bob Dylan's, his stories and humor totally captivated me,and had me laughing uncontrollably. His guitar work, both six string and twelve string, as well as harmonica, were top notch.  It was the first time I had seen him live, and although I went to see Judy Collins (I can't believe I am saying this) I wanted Judy's segment to be brief so that Arlo would come back out.

I will be looking for  more concerts from him.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: Judy Collins/Arlo Guthrie concert
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Nice.  I saw Arlo at a concert-in-the-park in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA about 12 or 13 years ago.  I walked away with similar feelings - great guitar work and even better at keeping the crowd's attention through stories and comedy.  I'd love to see him again someday before he really is TOO old. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.