Author Topic: Clippers one piece away from being really good...  (Read 10365 times)

Re: Clippers one piece away from being really good...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
They shouldn't bog themselves down in questionable contracts. Wait until the summer, sign Ray (he'll be the best SG on the market) and KG to cheap deals that won't hinder future spending ability and live out the fantasy we were hoping for in Boston. Then find a deal w/ Mo's contract for a more complementary piece, and roll out this lineup in 2012:

CP3/Bledsoe or whoever if Bledsoe's in the Mo trade
Ray/Mo trade
Butler/Mo trade
Griffin/KG
Jordan/KG

Plus whatever vets want to sign up to win a title.

Really? And while we're at it, we can let Pierce walk and back up Lebron in Miami

I didn't say the Celtics should let it happen. I said that's what the Clippers should try to do.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 05:55:43 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Allready posed this question in another thread, but is Chauncy at the 2 really that big of a liability in the west? i would think Chauncy at the 2 running screens like Ray does for the Celtics would give them more options in the half court set and i dont think they will find a more suitable person to fill that position
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 07:22:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They are one injury away from being really bad too.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 08:04:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Allready posed this question in another thread, but is Chauncy at the 2 really that big of a liability in the west? i would think Chauncy at the 2 running screens like Ray does for the Celtics would give them more options in the half court set and i dont think they will find a more suitable person to fill that position
Definitely not a liability.

Probably not a high level player either though. A good quality piece.

A small bit below average defensively, a weak rebounder and a very good offensive player. His usual 17ppg on 60% TS% type threat offensively with very good ball-handling and passing.

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
They are one injury away from being really bad too.

how many teams aren't?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
My least favorite thing is the Butler signing. Just don't like him on that team. There had to be a cheaper option that could play D and hit threes for less than 24 million over 3 years.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
My least favorite thing is the Butler signing. Just don't like him on that team. There had to be a cheaper option that could play D and hit threes for less than 24 million over 3 years.

was there though?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Clips are overloaded at PG,  and need another SG with size as well as a backup big.   They could trade with the Kings, sending Mo Williams, Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes to Sacto for John Salmons and Jason Thompson.

The Kings Get some veterans on relatively reasonable contracts, with Mo's 2/$17m preferable to Salmons' 3/$26m.  Foye is expiring at $4.2m, and Gomes at 2/$8m.

Both teams get better roster balance. 

I like this... Not the best option for them but adds depth... I think they could get a better package for Williams, Foye, and Gomes.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The Clips are overloaded at PG,  and need another SG with size as well as a backup big.   They could trade with the Kings, sending Mo Williams, Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes to Sacto for John Salmons and Jason Thompson.

The Kings Get some veterans on relatively reasonable contracts, with Mo's 2/$17m preferable to Salmons' 3/$26m.  Foye is expiring at $4.2m, and Gomes at 2/$8m.

I like this... Not the best option for them but adds depth... I think they could get a better package for Williams, Foye, and Gomes.

I like the idea of trading those players away too but they could definitely get a better return than Jason Thompson (who I like quite a bit) and Salmons (who I do not at all at this point, especially for that contract).
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
It really sucks how the year we acquire the clips first rounder they get good.

The silver lining here is that the pick is top ten protected, so in reality, we need the clippers to be somewhat good in order to get the pick anyway.  To be honest, they are good, but the pick will likely be in the 16-20 range which is not bad in what is expected to be a deep draft.

Another silver lining (sort of).  For those of you feeling bummed about the CP trade after watching the clips last night, it probably would not have gone through for us anyway because of Green's condition, and if it did go through, that would means Green's life would have been in jeopardy since the hornets med staff did not catch it.  The way things shook out, Green's condition was caught, and we get to hold on to him next year.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

was there though?

I think they should have kept their flexibility and used some patchwork pieces for this year...shawne williams, reggie williams, Deshawn stevenson, Battier, Mike Dunleavy, over pay for a year of Gary Forbes...

I would have preferred all of those rather than Butler. Butler's (marginal, at this point) value comes from being able to create some offense, but on a team with Billups, Paul, Griffin, all he ends up being is a relatively averagely effective ball stopper clogging up 8 mil of capspace per year.

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
It looked to me like Billups slides right into SG and fits nicely along with CP3. They looked really good last night and dominated the Lakers. None of the Clippers played over 30 minutes whereas Paul, Bryant and Bynum all were 30+ and they manhandled them. Fun to watch!
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

was there though?

I think they should have kept their flexibility and used some patchwork pieces for this year...shawne williams, reggie williams, Deshawn stevenson, Battier, Mike Dunleavy, over pay for a year of Gary Forbes...

I would have preferred all of those rather than Butler. Butler's (marginal, at this point) value comes from being able to create some offense, but on a team with Billups, Paul, Griffin, all he ends up being is a relatively averagely effective ball stopper clogging up 8 mil of capspace per year.
With CP3's contract, Jordan's contract, and Blake's potential extension under the new CBA "designated player" rule their window salary cap room would have been very narrow.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Not a fan of it myself.

I think John Salmons and Caron Butler are a bit too similar. Too shot-happy and not as efficient as the Clippers present options in the backcourt. I don't see it improving the team.

I like the Clippers backcourt as currently constituted (Chauncey, Paul and Mo). I think that trio all work very well with one another. Their high level shooting ability and ball-handling will give opposing teams a major headache.

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Clipper-mania has arrived. Paul puts together  9 assists and 7 rebounds, and Y!Sports call it a "near triple double"  ::) This may end up being as bad as the Heat.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."