Author Topic: Memphis/Boston Idea  (Read 10743 times)

Memphis/Boston Idea
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:51:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=85g93bs

I know I will get flamed for this beyond belief, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. It'd make us younger, and under the tutelage of Doc Rivers, Mayo could learn to move more without the ball (he's also stated he'd love to play with Rondo). We'd also get a guy who can create his own shot and take some pressure off of Paul Pierce.

As for Memphis, Ray would bring a lot of veteran leadership to the locker room - plus great spot shooting which would compliment the paint-duo of Gasol/Randolph, as well as Rudy's game.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Memphis/Boston Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
yeah, you're gonna get flamed for this (at least, as flamed as anybody gets on this forum, which isn't much).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
yeah, you're gonna get flamed for this (at least, as flamed as anybody gets on this forum, which isn't much).

Hey at least give me credit for posting a somewhat realistic idea. Instead of the usual "Team X trades: every single good player on their roster, Celtics trade: Avery Bradley + a 2nd rounder from 2024."
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Memphis would do it.

As for Boston, I wouldn't say "do it in a heartbeat", but one would certainly be tempted to think about it.  There is a clear upside and downside to this trade.

The biggest problem though:  This trade is impossible since Memphis is over the cap so can't take in Ray's salary without sending more out.  It just doesn't show up yet in Trade Machine because they haven't factored in the Marc Gasol signing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hahaha! Yikes.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Memphis would do it.

As for Boston, I wouldn't say "do it in a heartbeat", but one would certainly be tempted to think about it.  There is a clear upside and downside to this trade.

The biggest problem though:  This trade is impossible since Memphis is over the cap so can't take in Ray's salary without sending more out.  It just doesn't show up yet in Trade Machine because they haven't factored in the Marc Gasol signing.

Ah, forgot about the Gasol resigning.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:21:47 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
How about a simple deal?

Avery Bradley, Sasha Pavlovic, and a future 2nd rounder for Xavier Henry

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Ray for Mayo alone i don't think makes sense or the C's (also it's impossible as pointed out) because it is a downgrade for this year, which is really our last hurrah. However, due to some of our other roster concerns, if Memphis really felt like they needed a vet SG, if you could snag Mayo, Darrel Arthur and Sam Young for Allen you'd have to think about it.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
How about

Ray Allen, Jeff Green, and Avery Bradley

FOR

Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, and Xavier Henry

It is an interesting decision that would bring youth to the Celtics and eliminate cap space ... but I don't believe they could turn cap space into a better package. 

Any thoughts?

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Ray for Mayo alone i don't think makes sense or the C's (also it's impossible as pointed out) because it is a downgrade for this year, which is really our last hurrah. However, due to some of our other roster concerns, if Memphis really felt like they needed a vet SG, if you could snag Mayo, Darrel Arthur and Sam Young for Allen you'd have to think about it.

I disagree that it's a downgrade. I think Ray Allen's reputation as a "get-it done sharpshooter" outweighs what he actually does on the court. Don't get me wrong, I love Ray Allen and everything he's done for the C's and it'd be sad if he left Boston but at this point in his career, he's more of a streak shooter. He can't really create shots for himself or for others, so again I don't think he's head and shoulders above a young guy like OJ Mayo as some people seem to think.

How about

FOR

It is an interesting decision that would bring youth to the Celtics and eliminate cap space ... but I don't believe they could turn cap space into a better package. 

Any thoughts?

I think Memphis hangs up on us. Calls us back, laughs at us, and hangs up again.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I would be all for a Ray for Mayo, Aurthur and Young(still would do the trade without young). Ray will be 37 next year and can't create his own shot anymore. We need young guys that can, and Mayo can do that. He is still very young and with Rondo I am confident he could become a more efficient scorer.  Lets face it the C's will be lucky to make it past the 1st rd with their current roster .

We would probably have to send a PF back though in this trade because they were trying to trade Mayo for McRoberts. send them Bass and get a future pick maybe ?

Bos sends: Ray and Bass
Mem sends: OJ Mayo, Arthur, Young, Skinner(for salary match)

Now you have young Pieces in Mayo, Arthur ,Rondo and hopefully Bradley,JJJ or Etwuan develop into a player and the rebuilding process has begun .
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:40:47 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=85g93bs

I know I will get flamed for this beyond belief, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. It'd make us younger, and under the tutelage of Doc Rivers, Mayo could learn to move more without the ball (he's also stated he'd love to play with Rondo). We'd also get a guy who can create his own shot and take some pressure off of Paul Pierce.

As for Memphis, Ray would bring a lot of veteran leadership to the locker room - plus great spot shooting which would compliment the paint-duo of Gasol/Randolph, as well as Rudy's game.

Not a bad idea. I think this could mutually benefit both teams. Memphis gets a veteran to go along with the youth of Gay, Conley and Gasol. Boston gets a little younger and more athletic with OJ replacing Ray.

I'd do it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:46:15 PM by gpap »

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
How about

FOR

Any thoughts?
hmmm swap out our 37-year old SG that needs to be fed the ball, our backup SF that can't practice due to health issues and a 2-year player that hasn't shown anything yet
FOR
what would be PP's replacement at SF, our new starting SG and a young wing back up that has no health issues.

I know Chris Wallace is regarding as a world-class idiot but even he would recognize this as highway robbery

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
I view Rudy Gay as an almost untradeable asset right now.  He isn't worth the contract he has and to be blunt, that drives trade value as much as stats. 

This would give Memphis tremendous cap flexibility to fill voids and probably makes them a better team in the short run, but then again  ... it is Memphis and they likely couldn't secure talent despite their presence as a state with no income tax.

There is value to $20MM coming off the books for teams close to the cap.   

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43

Hey at least give me credit for posting a somewhat realistic idea. Instead of the usual "Team X trades: every single good player on their roster, Celtics trade: Avery Bradley + a 2nd rounder from 2024."

I LOVE this trade.  It's win-win for the Cs and Bradley's value is as at an all time high!   ;D