Author Topic: Where's Nene?  (Read 9632 times)

Where's Nene?
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
In this crazy offseason, where someone can't order takeout without multiple Twitter feeds speculating whether it's going to be Thai or Mexican, there's been a distinct lack of chatter involving Denver's biggest free agent (or Arron Afflalo, for that matter).

Where will Nene end up? And what will the price tag be? Will he command a deal starting north of $9.5 million in the first year? If so, who can give it to him?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Where's Nene?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
There has been tons of chatter about Nene. The Nets and the Rockets were really bidding hard after him at one point

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
There has been tons of chatter about Nene. The Nets and the Rockets were really bidding hard after him at one point

I've not seen Nene's name mentioned in any of the Twitter feeds since the FA period started.

Certainly nothing recently.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »

Offline Moreover

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 10
At one point there were rumors he'd be getting the max - from the Nets, I think. Pretty sure he'll make more than $9.5 million.

Not sure which are the teams still biding for him. The Pacers, the Warriors and the Clippers are now out of the picture. So, Nets, Rockets and Nuggets. He's been a victim of the Chris Paul/Dwight Howard trades and Houston's offer sheet to Gasol.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
BTW, that $9.5 million isn't an arbitrary amount. It's just about the max salary the Celtics can take back in exchange for JO and Bradley, if my math is correct.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nene was in a holding pattern.

He was waiting to see how that CP3 scenario played out. He wanted to see how that would effect his choice. If Houston got Pau Gasol or not. Not sure why we haven't heard anything about him over the last day or two though. You'd think with talks breaking down, he'd be ready to make a decision.

New Jersey is the front-runner for his signature. They were offering some ridiculous contract at something like $70 million over four years.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Nene was in a holding pattern.

He was waiting to see how that CP3 scenario played out. He wanted to see how that would effect his choice. If Houston got Pau Gasol or not. Not sure why we haven't heard anything about him over the last day or two though. You'd think with talks breaking down, he'd be ready to make a decision.

New Jersey is the front-runner for his signature. They were offering some ridiculous contract at something like $70 million over four years.

Howard is also holding things up.  I am not sure NJ is willing to commit to that offer, until they know whats happening with Howard.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:09:59 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
denver!

denver's got a nice young team.

Lawson / Miller
Afflalo (pending) / Fernandez
Gallinari / Brewer
Harrington / Faried
Nene / Andersen / Mozgov

that's an exciting team and it doesn't even have a superstar on it
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:11:37 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 05:56:18 AM »

Offline KP43

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • THE BIG3: 9, 34, 5
ESPN Confirms: Nene re-signs with Nuggets for $67 million over 5-years
Doc's gonna tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

Yeah iknow, my username is Kendrick Perkins and my ranking is Jeff Green. Ironic huh?

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
denver!

Lawson / Miller
Gallinari / Brewer
Harrington / Faried
Nene / Andersen / Mozgov

Hmmm, I am not so sure that is going to be that great of a team. With the exception of Nene, those players would be back ups on many teams. Maybe Gallinari can continue to take it to the next level, but they look lottery bound. I am surprised Nene stayed with the squad.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How do we pry birdman away from the Nuggets!

Denver made a good move resigning Nene but I still think they lack that killer edge. Who do you give the ball to in the closing seconds to win the game at the end?

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
More interested in Mozgov

And from the sounds of things, so are Denver -- Mozgov was penciled in as starting C prior to Nene re-signing -- so Chris Andersen might be available at a low price.

Pretty good chance Denver would trade C.Andersen for straight expiring contracts. No additional incentives. Just to get out of the final three years on his deal.

Chris Andersen missed a lot of games last year. Anyone know what his injuries where? Anything to be concerned about?

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
denver!

Lawson / Miller
Gallinari / Brewer
Harrington / Faried
Nene / Andersen / Mozgov

Hmmm, I am not so sure that is going to be that great of a team. With the exception of Nene, those players would be back ups on many teams. Maybe Gallinari can continue to take it to the next level, but they look lottery bound. I am surprised Nene stayed with the squad.

that team was a 5th seed in the west last season, and was one of the best teams in the league after the melo trade.  yeah, they're missing kmart, jr smith, and chandler, but of those 3 i think only chandler is really a big impact player at this point, and afflalo / fernandez / brewer fill that hole just fine.

i disagree about their players being backups . . . lawson, afflalo, gallinari and nene are all legit starters.  they're a bit thin at PF, there's no doubt about that.  though i wouldn't be surprised to see humphries go to denver.  he'd be a good fit on that team.

Denver made a good move resigning Nene but I still think they lack that killer edge. Who do you give the ball to in the closing seconds to win the game at the end?

i think gallinari is gonna be that guy for them.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers