Author Topic: Perkins lost 32 pounds  (Read 27832 times)

Re: Perkins lost 32 pounds
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Wish Perk was a Celtic, but we do have JO.
JO is out a shape hes nothing what he use to be if he wants to keep his knees healthy he should think about sheddding some fat

This is the 1st I've heard of JO being or looking out of shape.  I had heard the contrary.

Heard from what?  His interviews?  His tweets? 

So will the reduction in JO's body fat fix the wrist injury that bothered him through the playoffs and for which he refused to have surgery during the offseason? Anyone remember the last time he refused to have surgery on an injury? I honestly don't know how anyone can expect anything from this guy. I hope I am wrong, because strong center play would be huge for the Celtics. I just don't see it. The guy has been in the league a million years and has been in decline for the last several.

Has far as JO being young, he is 33-years-old with 15 years of NBA wear and tear on his body. I think that is why so many people have given up on him.

No...That's not why.  That he started the season at least 30lbs overweight...(probably closer to double that) That with the exception of his contract year in Miami he tanked previous seasons like he did last.

Perk almost looks dehydrated.

I wonder if Perk will be as effective without the bulk.  His bulk made him formidable against the Bynums and Howards and other big centers.  I don't know that he can get much quicker because he's so gangly.  It'd be sort of like Baby losing a bunch of weight.  He'd never be quick enough to defend a 3 and he'd be too small to play the 4-5. 

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Danny's "brilliant" trade just keeps looking better and better, don't ya think ??

Ainge as the Celts GM has made, what, about a half-dozen good moves out of 40 attempts ?

nothing has changed about the trade.  perk was going to get his payday somewhere else.
that's just a poor assumption.  Perk did want to get paid like a top defensive center that started for a championship team.  Doesn't mean he'd leave if Danny offered a contract in the ballpark of what other teams would offer.  Considering Danny just signed a backup forward to a $9 mill/year deal, I find it hard to believe Perk's deal for the same annual amount was a bad deal. 

was perk going to take a one year deal, you think?  no way danny would have tied up cap room on a role player like perk.  a very good role player, mind you, but a role player nonetheless.  as a non-entity on offense perk doesn't have much value to a rebuilding team.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Could be a sign the knees are bothering him.  They always tell you take weight off for bad knees.

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »

Offline mjokc

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
Danny's "brilliant" trade just keeps looking better and better, don't ya think ??

Ainge as the Celts GM has made, what, about a half-dozen good moves out of 40 attempts ?

You realize they would have lost him anyway right?

This way they got a pick and a young swingman out of it.

OKC is paying perk 9 million a freaking year. 9 million! for 5 years!

I mean, i love the big fella, but 9 million per for 5 years would have been an awful contract here. He's a heck of a defender, and a great defensive center piece, but given that our OTHER building block (rondo) is a defensive minded non-scorer, they were never going to tie 50 million into a defensive center who can't score to complement rondo.

Now in OKC he's perfect. They have a scoring superstar who doesn't really defend well yet (durant) and a dynamc scoring PG who struggles to keep people in front of him (westbrook)

given that, he makes good sense for them to protect the paint from those two's shortcomings while they do all the scoring.

although i still think 9 million a year for perk is crazy.

You're a little bit off base with Perkin's contract by rounding up to make it look worse than it is. Perkins is getting paid 8.7 milion per year in  a 4 year contract, not 5. That's about 35mil rounding up, not 50. You added a year and 15 mil to the total. IMO 8.7 per year for a proven defensive big man is pretty good considering Deandre Jordan is going to get 45mil / 11 mil per or higher based off of potential.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:03:22 AM by mjokc »

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »

Kiorrik

Perkins lost 32 pounds
Does he remember where he last used them?

... I kill me :')

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 12:12:31 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

You're a little bit off base with Perkin's contract by rounding up to make it look worse than it is. Perkins is getting paid 8.7 milion per year in  a 4 year contract, not 5. That's about 35mil rounding up, not 50. You added a year and 15 mil to the total. IMO 8.7 per year for a proven defensive big man is pretty good considering Deandre Jordan is going to get 45mil / 11 mil per or higher based off of potential.

The thing you are missing out on is that Perkins would be seeing those kinds of offers if he hit the open market at this time. We could not have offered the same deal that OKC gave him, so we'd have to either pay in the ballpark of $10-11 mil a year or to let him walk for nothing...at least we got assets out of the deal.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »

Offline mjokc

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5

The thing you are missing out on is that Perkins would be seeing those kinds of offers if he hit the open market at this time. We could not have offered the same deal that OKC gave him, so we'd have to either pay in the ballpark of $10-11 mil a year or to let him walk for nothing...at least we got assets out of the deal.

No doubt, I agree with you that perk would have been offered that ammount or more in FA. I'm simply saying presti was a smart man for signing him to an 8.7 mil contract.

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
anybody catch the big fella Perk now on twitter? his tweets are hilarious ;D

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Looking good, Perk.

Losing 32 pounds brings hims down into the 250 range, I believe. 6'10" and 245-250 is still pretty solid.

Take into account that LA is getting smaller by the min, and this makes OKC even more impressive size-wise.

IMO, I'm looking for Perk to get some Defensive awards this year - maybe 2nd team NBA?

I wish him the best.

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Perk has pretty much always shown dedication to being in shape etc
what he really needs to do is work on some foot speed

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
gotta say it . . .

Go Thunder
I am eja and I approve this message

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Until he has a year better than he had as a celtic, or plays a couple years in a row without missing time from injuries, the Perk trade was still a success.  It's great that he dropped weight, but that doesnt guarantee anything will translate to the court.  The way he looked in the playoffs last year made the move look pretty good.  Its all about what happens on the court.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Looks like a completely different person.  I'm really interested to see how this changes his game.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It depends if he keeps the weight off, but it should really help his game and lessen the wear on his knees.

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Wish Perk was a Celtic, but we do have JO.
JO is out a shape hes nothing what he use to be if he wants to keep his knees healthy he should think about sheddding some fat
Read that J.O'Neal dropped his body fat from 15% last season to 9% this season.

did he undergo that procedure that wolverine underwent to give him adamantium bones?  cause that's the only way i see JO being healthy / a big factor this year.

Well that's an auto tp from me, lol.