Author Topic: Perkins lost 32 pounds  (Read 27815 times)

Re: Perkins lost 32 pounds
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wish Perk was a Celtic, but we do have JO.
JO is out a shape hes nothing what he use to be if he wants to keep his knees healthy he should think about sheddding some fat
Read that J.O'Neal dropped his body fat from 15% last season to 9% this season.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
JO is out a shape hes nothing what he use to be if he wants to keep his knees healthy he should think about sheddding some fat

did he undergo that procedure that wolverine underwent to give him adamantium bones?  cause that's the only way i see JO being healthy / a big factor this year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
i hope its enough to keep him healthy but we realy do need a center and some offense still. JO's offense was shaky last year but he was sending alot of shots back on the defensive end

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
good luck Perk, you have all the support here in BOS =)

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Danny's "brilliant" trade just keeps looking better and better, don't ya think ??

Ainge as the Celts GM has made, what, about a half-dozen good moves out of 40 attempts ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I was thinking that he looked trim on TV and wondered whether trading him was the right move.  If he's speaking the truth and feels healthy he would actually be a better fit than D West defensively.  And West coming off surgury at $9 mil a year is just as risky as J.O. at $6 mil a year after a long summer off, if not more.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Danny's "brilliant" trade just keeps looking better and better, don't ya think ??

Ainge as the Celts GM has made, what, about a half-dozen good moves out of 40 attempts ?

nothing has changed about the trade.  perk was going to get his payday somewhere else.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
he looks real good!  wish him the best

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee

It looks as good as it did when it happened. Got some value out of a player going to leave.

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

nothing has changed about the trade.  perk was going to get his payday somewhere else.
that's just a poor assumption.  Perk did want to get paid like a top defensive center that started for a championship team.  Doesn't mean he'd leave if Danny offered a contract in the ballpark of what other teams would offer.  Considering Danny just signed a backup forward to a $9 mill/year deal, I find it hard to believe Perk's deal for the same annual amount was a bad deal.  Knowing he's dedicated to getting in shape and being the ultimate teammate, he would not have been a bad investment by Danny. 

Wish him all the best in his career.  I have a strong feeling he'll look like a smart pickup for OKC this year.

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

that's just a poor assumption.  Perk did want to get paid like a top defensive center that started for a championship team.  Doesn't mean he'd leave if Danny offered a contract in the ballpark of what other teams would offer.  Considering Danny just signed a backup forward to a $9 mill/year deal, I find it hard to believe Perk's deal for the same annual amount was a bad deal.  Knowing he's dedicated to getting in shape and being the ultimate teammate, he would not have been a bad investment by Danny. 

Wish him all the best in his career.  I have a strong feeling he'll look like a smart pickup for OKC this year.

He signed Green to a 1 year deal, Perk wouldn't have gone for that.

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

You realize they would have lost him anyway right?

This way they got a pick and a young swingman out of it.

OKC is paying perk 9 million a freaking year. 9 million! for 5 years!

I mean, i love the big fella, but 9 million per for 5 years would have been an awful contract here. He's a heck of a defender, and a great defensive center piece, but given that our OTHER building block (rondo) is a defensive minded non-scorer, they were never going to tie 50 million into a defensive center who can't score to complement rondo.

Now in OKC he's perfect. They have a scoring superstar who doesn't really defend well yet (durant) and a dynamc scoring PG who struggles to keep people in front of him (westbrook)

given that, he makes good sense for them to protect the paint from those two's shortcomings while they do all the scoring.

although i still think 9 million a year for perk is crazy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:07:20 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

You realize they would have lost him anyway right?

This way they got a pick and a young swingman out of it.

OKC is paying perk 9 million a freaking year. 9 million! for 5 years!

I mean, i love the big fella, but 9 million per for 5 years would have been an awful contract here. He's a heck of a defender, and a great defensive center piece, but given that our OTHER building block (rondo) is a defensive minded non-scorer, they were never going to tie 50 million into a defensive center who can't score to complement rondo.

Now in OKC he's perfect. They have a scoring superstar who doesn't really defend well yet (durant) and a dynamc scoring PG who struggles to keep people in front of him (westbrook)

given that, he makes good sense for them to protect the paint from those two's shortcomings while they do all the scoring.

although i still think 9 million a year for perk is crazy.

With the going rate for centers that really isnt that bad... Plus i bet he would have stayed with the Celtics at a discount. I think we coulda had Perk for 7 mil a year. I still miss him.

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This is the 1st I've heard of JO being or looking out of shape.  I had heard the contrary.

Ditto. He might not have lost 32 pounds but there was a report the other day that had JO working hard all offseason and feeling the best he's had in a while... I dont know why people are so ready to give up on Oneal so soon. He is still young and very skilled when healthy.

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
So will the reduction in JO's body fat fix the wrist injury that bothered him through the playoffs and for which he refused to have surgery during the offseason? Anyone remember the last time he refused to have surgery on an injury? I honestly don't know how anyone can expect anything from this guy. I hope I am wrong, because strong center play would be huge for the Celtics. I just don't see it. The guy has been in the league a million years and has been in decline for the last several.

As far as JO being young, he is 33-years-old with 15 years of NBA wear and tear on his body. I think that is why so many people have given up on him.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:48:38 PM by vinnie »