Author Topic: Could NO/BOS deal include Okafor?  (Read 4501 times)

Could NO/BOS deal include Okafor?
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just read that the Celtics gave Jeff Green a $9 million one year contract. Why would they do that if they planned on keeping him here all year when they could have just waited for him to accept the QO and save over $3 million? Seems rather strange.Could it be they have already told him they will be moving him in a trade and need his contract to be that much?

The West deal to Boston for O'Neal and parts is rumored to be awaiting the approval of the Paul deal. The West deal also is a weird head scratcher as it leaves the C's without a center and lots of PFs.

So adding all these strange factors up could the reason be because the West deal will be bigger than we think? Could Danny have decided that having the cap flexibility for next year isn't worth it and so has decided on a bigger play here that relieves NO of a lot of long term debt/salary?

Boston sends Jeff Green(1 yr/$9 mil), Jermaine O'Neal(1 yr/$6.2 mil), and Avery Bradley(3 years/$5.6 mil/$1.5 mil this year) and a 2012 first round pick

New Orleans sends David West(3 y/$27 mil/$8.2 mil this year) and Emeka Okafor (3 yr/$30.5 mil/$12.5 mil this year)

This solves Boston's long term and short term center problems and allows them to renounce KG and Ray next year and still bring them back on the cheap. It givesz the Celtics this roster:

Rondo/Dooling
Allen/Moore
Pierce/Daniels
KG/West/Bass/Johnson
Okafor/Wilcox/Stiemsma

And still allows for the MMLE to be used to sure up the backup wing slot with someone like say Anthony Parker.

Re: Could NO/BOS deal include Okafor?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Its probably just a pipe dream Nick, but sign me up!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:54:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Interesting take on the JGreen signing.

I wouldn't mind Okafor at all. He is a 10pts/10rebs 2 blks center.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »

Offline TaxiDriver2500

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • A Legend in his own mind..
Just read that the Celtics gave Jeff Green a $9 million one year contract. Why would they do that if they planned on keeping him here all year when they could have just waited for him to accept the QO and save over $3 million? Seems rather strange.Could it be they have already told him they will be moving him in a trade and need his contract to be that much?

The West deal to Boston for O'Neal and parts is rumored to be awaiting the approval of the Paul deal. The West deal also is a weird head scratcher as it leaves the C's without a center and lots of PFs.

So adding all these strange factors up could the reason be because the West deal will be bigger than we think? Could Danny have decided that having the cap flexibility for next year isn't worth it and so has decided on a bigger play here that relieves NO of a lot of long term debt/salary?

Boston sends Jeff Green(1 yr/$9 mil), Jermaine O'Neal(1 yr/$6.2 mil), and Avery Bradley(3 years/$5.6 mil/$1.5 mil this year) and a 2012 first round pick

New Orleans sends David West(3 y/$27 mil/$8.2 mil this year) and Emeka Okafor (3 yr/$30.5 mil/$12.5 mil this year)

This solves Boston's long term and short term center problems and allows them to renounce KG and Ray next year and still bring them back on the cheap. It givesz the Celtics this roster:

Rondo/Dooling
Allen/Moore
Pierce/Daniels
KG/West/Bass/Johnson
Okafor/Wilcox/Stiemsma

And still allows for the MMLE to be used to sure up the backup wing slot with someone like say Anthony Parker.

i dont know if i like paying more for chokafor over a longer term, than giving Jeff Green his chance to prove he's a big-money player.

no denying it would expand our arsenal of tools defensively, but ya can't deny Jeff Green could still be "something"
Too much coffee and Gatorade. It's a hell of a mix. If you're ever tired in the morning, just try that mix, and tell me what you think. -Kevin Garnett

"My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the f***ing truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this."

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jeff Green's deal has been processed, so he can't be included in a S&T anymore.  That being the case, we can't trade him for 90 days (at least under the old CBA).

I'm not sure if there are any special rules in place to allow players signed this year to be traded at the deadline, but I would guess not.  Either way, any potential to do this deal will be long gone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I don't see how you have enough minutes for Okafur, KG, West, and Bass.  3 of those guys are legitimate starters in this league.  We also need Green to backup Pierce.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Rondo/Dooling
Allen/Moore
Pierce/Daniels
KG/West/Bass/Johnson
Okafor/Wilcox/Stiemsma

i dont know if i like paying more for chokafor over a longer term, than giving Jeff Green his chance to prove he's a big-money player.

no denying it would expand our arsenal of tools defensively, but ya can't deny Jeff Green could still be "something"

Can't deny that David West IS ALREADY something and would already be assuring the bench of some great offense. I'm not sure Green's potential would be better for this team in the short and long run than West's proven abilities and Okafor's big man presence and defensive capabilities.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Personally id rather have Jeff Green over Okafor at this point...So Id rather keep the West trade as is.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Jeff Green's deal has been processed, so he can't be included in a S&T anymore.  That being the case, we can't trade him for 90 days (at least under the old CBA).

I'm not sure if there are any special rules in place to allow players signed this year to be traded at the deadline, but I would guess not.  Either way, any potential to do this deal will be long gone.
Didn't see that the deal had been processed just that the supposed numbers were released. Oh well. It was a thought.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

Offline TaxiDriver2500

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • A Legend in his own mind..

Rondo/Dooling
Allen/Moore
Pierce/Daniels
KG/West/Bass/Johnson
Okafor/Wilcox/Stiemsma

Can't deny that David West IS ALREADY something and would already be assuring the bench of some great offense. I'm not sure Green's potential would be better for this team in the short and long run than West's proven abilities and Okafor's big man presence and defensive capabilities.

sorry for not being more clear. all for the david west trade. just sayin no thanks on okafor
Too much coffee and Gatorade. It's a hell of a mix. If you're ever tired in the morning, just try that mix, and tell me what you think. -Kevin Garnett

"My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the f***ing truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this."

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »

Offline Liam W

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I would take Okafor in a heartbeat!

Sure he has a rather large contract but hey look at Darko Milicic. haha

I think he is exactly what we need inside. He hustles, Blocks shots + Rebounds

I would defo do the deal for West + Okafor for O'Neal
(maybe draft picks also)

If its all possible that is

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
so our sell to CP3 to stay here is "after this year it'll be exactly like your old team, only with a 35 year old paul pierce!"
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Jeff Green's deal has been processed, so he can't be included in a S&T anymore.  That being the case, we can't trade him for 90 days (at least under the old CBA).

somebody on twitter last night claimed that because green's deal is one year that he can be traded as long as he gives consent, and they linked to the rules.  i have a feeling they were just reading the rules wrong, though.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Are they going to compress the rules due to the shortened season? 90 days takes you past the traditional trade deadline.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I'm not sure if there are any special rules in place to allow players signed this year to be traded at the deadline, but I would guess not.  Either way, any potential to do this deal will be long gone.

Could this make Rondo + Green + picks for CP + Ariza possible if NO hasn't been traded after 90 days?

NO obviously won't do this now, but if they haven't traded him after 90 days, perhaps they would rethink it like they reportedly were doing a few days ago.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur