Author Topic: Celts in talks to trade Davis to Orlando  (Read 18399 times)

Re: Celts in talks to trade Davis to Orlando
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Interesting. Bass has a player option for 2012.

Also, I'm not sure why people think the league is overvaluing Davis. He's a competent player, and probably an upgrade over Bass. This trade is chiefly dictated from contract length demands, in all likelihood.
They're similar players but I like Bass more. Slightly better rebounder and more efficient overall.

Plus Davis has a lot of baggage here.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
YES..ok..now this makes me feel much better about things. Bass is what we need off the bench

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love the thought of Bass coming off the bench and would be even more excited if we could land Wilcox! Those are some good office moves right there.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Excellent. I'd be very happy with that.

Pointless move by Orlando. Accomplishing nothing. Just doing something for the sake of doing something. Make it appear like they're making a legitimate effort to improve the squad for Dwight Howard.
Me too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bassbr01&y1=2011&p2=davisgl01&y2=2011

He's a bit better at everything over Davis.
Thanks for that, comparison it makes me happy.
I'm pumped to have a pf who can actually dunk.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In more general terms, the problem of the NBA is that a lot of fans would rather have a player that can dunk, rather than players who can play.

Not saying it pertains to this case, or this particular fan... but just saying.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Pointless move by Orlando. Accomplishing nothing. Just doing something for the sake of doing something. Make it appear like they're making a legitimate effort to improve the squad for Dwight Howard.

Yeah it's funny. It seems the league undervalues Rondo in trades and overvalues BBD...at least if all rumors are true

I'm fine with the Magic overvaluing BBD. Hope this happens more often.

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Interesting. Bass has a player option for 2012.

Also, I'm not sure why people think the league is overvaluing Davis. He's a competent player, and probably an upgrade over Bass. This trade is chiefly dictated from contract length demands, in all likelihood.
They're similar players but I like Bass more. Slightly better rebounder and more efficient overall.

Plus Davis has a lot of baggage here.
I agree about the baggage, and I like the trade. I think it's as good a way to use Davis as one could get.

Now let's lock up Kwame Brown and some more spare parts, and let the season start.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Me too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=bassbr01&y1=2011&p2=davisgl01&y2=2011

Yeah. Like not breaking his hand in a fit of stupidity.  Glenn Davis shot 15 threes last year.  That's one every few games. And he hit almost none.

I just won't miss the Glenn Davis era. Not much. Not my least favorite Celt, but probably in the bottom third

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Would love having Bass.

People should temper their enthusiasm about Chris Wilcox though. Guy has some ability, but lacks the drive/motivation to bring it every night. Maybe the Big Three can light a fire under him.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Me too.

That's 2010-2011 only. Bass' previous seasons were quite underwhelming.

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
i really likd glen davis and everything he brought...when his head was screwed on right. last year, especially the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs, he was abysmal and his professionalism seemed to wane with every passing month.

thanks for the good memories. i'll always remember the game winning shot against the magic and pushing of the little fat kid. but i think it's time for a new/fresh start.

as for bass, i like him. he's a little bigger, rebounds better, and brings energy. he also seems like a hard worker so i think he'll fit in well with this team.

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
In more general terms, the problem of the NBA is that a lot of fans would rather have a player that can dunk, rather than players who can play.

Not saying it pertains to this case, or this particular fan... but just saying.
Did I just get burned?

Not being able to dunk indicates that Baby was fat (his lift was better to start the season when he was in better shape), better lift usually means better athletecism which helps in most phases in the game.

In the end they are very similar, not sure if Bass is as good at rotating and taking charges as Bass but I haven't seen Bass play a ton.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Outgoing: charges taken

Incoming: fewer shots blocked and less tears

Sign me up for this one.  Bass' defense makes KG better as he'll have a guy behind him who can block/alter shots.  

If Wilcox can be gotten as well, I like the looks of the bigs...

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Adding Bass brings more athleticism and better shooting percentages, and adding Wilcox adds more bulk and rebounding up front -- and these things are exactly what this team needs. Good work, DA.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Not being able to dunk indicates that Baby was fat (his lift was better to start the season when he was in better shape), better lift usually means better athletecism which helps in most phases in the game.
There are plenty of examples that athleticism means zip when you don't know how to play the game, and vice versa.