Author Topic: The Thunder: Our Only Hope  (Read 11566 times)

Re: The Thunder: Our Only Hope
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Time to jump on the OKC bandwagon.  Think of them as the refuge for Celtics fans for the next 4-5 years while the Celtics fade into irrelevance, mediocrity, and then flat out suckitude.

Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Perkins.  Should be a really good group for a while.  I actually like how they match up with the Lakers, even now.

Now, if the Lakers manage to land Dwight Howard, the NBA will basically end.  Possibly the world.  But for now, I think it's fair to regard the Thunder as our only hope.

The train is now boarding for Oklahoma City, Celtics fans.  Either get on or stay here and wallow.

I like OKC, but I'm still a Celtic fan by miles...guess I'll stay and wallow

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:01 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Ladies and Gentlemen, please remember that pos was the guy who changed his sig to a picture ow Dwight Howard/ Dirk and someone else when he thought the Cs weren't going to have a shot at winning the finals in 2010. He reacts a bit quick but he's still lovable.  ;D ;D

hey, i like to have fun with my signatures.  i like to get reactions from people.

i wasn't wrong in 2010, was i?  celts made the finals but neither they nor any of the "avengers" stopped the lakers that year.  oh well.  im proud of what the 2010 squad accomplished, despite all my expectations after their horrid regular season.

Quote from: posimpos

fandom =\= masochism.

at least not willful masochism.

i wholeheartedly reject the idea that in order to be a true fan i have to be endlessly optimistic or willfully masochistic.  

like vinnie said, i don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that your team is not really a contender and have another, more relevant team that you like a little bit less than your hometown team that you follow and cheer for after your team has been eliminated.
It was your suggestion to fans that they should get on the train for  OKC or stay and "wallow"...I intend to stay, and I do not intend to "wallow"....although I will allow you to, if that is your preference.

the original post was a bit of hyperbole, partly in reaction to the emotional rise and fall of this crazy day of news, and partly to stir up reactions like we're getting here.

i think people around here get way too defensive about fandom, though.  it's possible to like other NBA teams and cheer for them without giving up your "true celtics fan" status.  

just because your favorite team isn't one of the contenders any more doesn't mean you need to pull for them and only them even though it's overwhelmingly likely that you'll ultimately be disappointed.  if that is how you choose to be a fan, then more power to you, i suppose.  but that's not how i choose to be a fan.  im not into masochism.  i appreciate good basketball, as long as it's not being played by players i detest or for the benefit of a team i hate.

We'll miss you here, see you after Durant hits his 30s.

the celtics probably won't be a top contender until durant is in his 30's, so you're right, it could be that long.

like vinnie said, i don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that your team is not really a contender

If there was, I doubt so many people would do it year after year.

really have no idea what you mean here.  

i'll say this -- if the celtics make the finals this season without any totally unforeseen, wildly creative move by danny ainge, i will sport a signature that says "crow sure tastes good!" for the next year.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:45:39 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Time to jump on the OKC bandwagon.  Think of them as the refuge for Celtics fans for the next 4-5 years while the Celtics fade into irrelevance, mediocrity, and then flat out suckitude.

Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Perkins.  Should be a really good group for a while.  I actually like how they match up with the Lakers, even now.

Now, if the Lakers manage to land Dwight Howard, the NBA will basically end.  Possibly the world.  But for now, I think it's fair to regard the Thunder as our only hope.

The train is now boarding for Oklahoma City, Celtics fans.  Either get on or stay here and wallow.P
Pos, you are starting to sound like a troll....

In times like these, I don't view posts like this as troll-dom.

Seriously, does the prospect of watching this Celtics team inspire you?  Give you hope?  Make you excited?  The thought of watching this team fade back into the muck they were in prior to the summer of '07 is utterly unappealing to me.

The Thunder are the only team I like that I can see going deep into the playoffs and contending for a title anytime soon.
I thought being a fan meant sticking with a team even when there appeared to be no hope?

fandom =\= masochism.

i wholeheartedly reject the idea that in order to be a true fan i have to be endlessly optimistic or willfully masochistic. 

like vinnie said, i don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that your team is not really a contender and have another, more relevant team that you like a little bit less than your hometown team that you follow and cheer for after your team has been eliminated.

Our team is a contender.  The fact that you keep saying loudly that we aren't doesn't make it true. 

You are stuck in some kind of fantasy video game version of the NBA where the game amounts to nothing more than the stockpiling of as many "superstars" as possible to win it all.

Good luck to your Thunder.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:28 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

The train is now boarding for Oklahoma City, Celtics fans.  Either get on or stay here and wallow.P

Seriously, does the prospect of watching this Celtics team inspire you?  Give you hope?  Make you excited?  The thought of watching this team fade back into the muck they were in prior to the summer of '07 is utterly unappealing to me.

The Thunder are the only team I like that I can see going deep into the playoffs and contending for a title anytime soon.
I thought being a fan meant sticking with a team even when there appeared to be no hope?

fandom =\= masochism.

Our team is a contender.  The fact that you keep saying loudly that we aren't doesn't make it true. 

You are stuck in some kind of fantasy video game version of the NBA where the game amounts to nothing more than the stockpiling of as many "superstars" as possible to win it all.

can you explain to me what makes you think that this team, constituted more or less as it was in the playoff last year, will get by an improved Heat team, a likely improved Bulls team, and or perhaps a Nets team with D-Will and Dwight, while also fending off the newly Chandler'd Knicks?

where's the offense coming from?  the celtics' offense has declined every year since '08.  last year it was toward the bottom half of the league.  where's the production coming from at the center spot?  heck, where's the depth coming from in the front court, period? 

is there any reason to think all of the same major issues that have plagued this team the last few years -- injuries, poor rebounding, inconsistent jumpshot-reliant offense leading to fourth quarter collapses -- will be fixed, improved, or at least addressed in a substantial way before the start of the season?

think of me what you will, but smarter, more articulate, and generally less pessimistic people than me (on this site and elsewhere) openly acknowledge that the window is effectively closed. 

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 04:39:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Grizzlies and Thunder.

Grizz have the big men to destroy all.
Gasol+Zeebo>>>>Perkins+Ibaka.

Westbrook+Durant+Harden>>>> Conley, Gay, Mayo.

I'm taking Grizzlies. Mayo is the leak for the Grizz.Westbrook is the leak for the Thunder.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Grizzlies and Thunder.

I'm taking Grizzlies. Mayo is the leak for the Grizz.Westbrook is the leak for the Thunder.

i'm not convinced the grizz will even go as far this year as they did last year.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 04:51:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Grizzlies and Thunder.

i'm not convinced the grizz will even go as far this year as they did last year.

How come? They have arguably the best defense in the West.
They get Rudy back.
You know who the most productive one-two combo in the NBA is?
It's not Lebron and Wade.
It's not Ray and Pierce.
It's not Kobe and Pau.

It's Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol.

Defensive juggernaut with another 15-20 points per game option in Rudy Gay who also can guard Durant in the playoffs.
Gonna be interesting. I'm just happy I put $100 down on them when they were paying 65-1 on Bodog. hehehe.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
think of me what you will, but smarter, more articulate, and generally less pessimistic people than me (on this site and elsewhere) openly acknowledge that the window is effectively closed. 

...and they've been openly acknowledging that since KG hurt his knee in 2009. Sooner or later you guys will be right and the rejoicing will begin.

Last year there were probably 5-6 teams capable of winning the title. They were all, for different stretches of the season, the best team in the league. It all came down to who was hot and who was healthy in the playoffs. The Celts were obviously one of those teams, thus the Celts were contenders.

Predicting that they won't win the title and being correct doesn't mean they aren't contenders, you have at least a 75% chance of being right. Last year I correctly predicted, from before the season started, why the Heat wouldn't win the title. That doesn't mean they weren't contenders, does it?

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Time to jump on the OKC bandwagon.  Think of them as the refuge for Celtics fans for the next 4-5 years while the Celtics fade into irrelevance, mediocrity, and then flat out suckitude.

Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Perkins.  Should be a really good group for a while.  I actually like how they match up with the Lakers, even now.

Now, if the Lakers manage to land Dwight Howard, the NBA will basically end.  Possibly the world.  But for now, I think it's fair to regard the Thunder as our only hope.

The train is now boarding for Oklahoma City, Celtics fans.  Either get on or stay here and wallow.P

Seriously, does the prospect of watching this Celtics team inspire you?  Give you hope?  Make you excited?  The thought of watching this team fade back into the muck they were in prior to the summer of '07 is utterly unappealing to me.

fandom =\= masochism.

Our team is a contender.  The fact that you keep saying loudly that we aren't doesn't make it true.  

can you explain to me what makes you think that this team, constituted more or less as it was in the playoff last year, will get by an improved Heat team, a likely improved Bulls team, and or perhaps a Nets team with D-Will and Dwight, while also fending off the newly Chandler'd Knicks?

where's the offense coming from?  the celtics' offense has declined every year since '08.  last year it was toward the bottom half of the league.  where's the production coming from at the center spot?  heck, where's the depth coming from in the front court, period?  

is there any reason to think all of the same major issues that have plagued this team the last few years -- injuries, poor rebounding, inconsistent jumpshot-reliant offense leading to fourth quarter collapses -- will be fixed, improved, or at least addressed in a substantial way before the start of the season?

The Celtics have players who are easily among the top ten players in the league at 4 positions.  They are well balanced, they play a beautiful team-oriented game with a great coach.  Their experience will be a net gain.  These guys--the top four and their coach--have won a title together and they know what it takes to win.  They will still be a top defensive team.  KG's getting older, but I'm guessing he'll come out still able to be one of the best defensive bigs in the league.  He still covers more ground than most while covering the pick and roll and switching on D.  Paul Pierce is one of the most underrated defenders around.  He covers well enough to make up for the gambling of Rondo and at times KG. 

Anyway, these are things you should all know having watched this team play.  I guess we disagree about what this team amounts to.  I will say that most reports that I've read by people paid to cover the NBA still have the Celtics as contenders.  There are some teams ranked above us, but that doesn't put us out of the running.

As BBallTim said any season can have more than one contender.  Usually there are about 5 or 6 legitimate contenders.  Of course, only one team ends up winning it all in the end. That doesn't mean that the other contenders are not and never where a contender. 

We are not the favorites, I'm not making any guarantees, but I don't think it's just wild eyed optimism to think we have a shot at contending.

You have every right to be as pessimistic as you want.  What nettles me is this idea that your take on this team is an indisputable fact, and you present it as such any chance you get.  People jump all over the idea that we're toast, because in the age of the blog, the negative is always the easiest to latch onto. 

I'm not necessarily saying I'm 100% right, but rational voices get drowned in the fervor and stridency of loud proclamations that this team is horrible and the only thing worth doing is starting all over.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:38:24 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Yikes how can anyone like the thunder unless you like watching them shoot 50 free throws a game.......so boring.

At least pick an interesting team

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »

Offline BDubs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 54
  • Can a brother get some Tommy points!
Wow.... one good thing if the Celtics do stumble is all of the pink hat, bandwagon fans will be gone. Good riddance.

Finally, someone said it.  TP for you!

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Posimpos, you stated that you liked to make a post to get a reaction....  ;) .  Mission accomplished.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I like reading your posts Pos.

You dont usually have a positive outlook on things but it doesnt get me angry when I read your posts. You have a way of avoiding inflammatory remarks.

So while I disagree with your post, Im not mad atcha!

I actually really like OKC so I agree with that part.

However, I am pretty excited to give it one more try with this group...you really never know what can happen with these guys.

Put 3 HOFers together and tell them it is their last chance to go out on top, and I put no limits on what they can accomplish.

I am also excited to rebuild again, except this time with cap space!!!!

Danny doesnt have to be uber creative this time. Just dont sign players to dumb contracts that made the last rebuilding process so arduous.

I trust that he will accomplish this and the CBA landscape makes it a little more conducive to do so effectively.

Stay up Pos, OKC will be fun to watch but I am still excited about this team!

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I like reading your posts Pos.

You dont usually have a positive outlook on things but it doesnt get me angry when I read your posts. You have a way of avoiding inflammatory remarks.

So while I disagree with your post, Im not mad atcha!

I actually really like OKC so I agree with that part.

However, I am pretty excited to give it one more try with this group...you really never know what can happen with these guys.

Put 3 HOFers together and tell them it is their last chance to go out on top, and I put no limits on what they can accomplish.

I am also excited to rebuild again, except this time with cap space!!!!

Danny doesnt have to be uber creative this time. Just dont sign players to dumb contracts that made the last rebuilding process so arduous.

I trust that he will accomplish this and the CBA landscape makes it a little more conducive to do so effectively.

Stay up Pos, OKC will be fun to watch but I am still excited about this team!

This is my favorite post in quite a while. 

I want to try to emulate your maturity about dealing with the claims that our team is out of the running.  You're right there's no reason to get angry about it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
What a Croc! They used to be in Seattle and I moved there from Kansas (2 hours drive north of OKC). I feel completely used here. I hope an F5 tornado hits OKC and forces them to relocate back to Seattle.

And shame on you, Mr P O S for giving up on Day 1 of training camp. The Celtics still are relevent with a great coach and good GM and those Perdue rookies will play a bigger role than you think, Just You Watch!!!!
The beatings will continue until morale improves