Author Topic: The Chris Paul "Consolation Prize" Trade  (Read 4408 times)

Re: The Chris Paul "Consolation Prize" Trade
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7p3fjsf

If the Celtics lose out on Chris Paul, and Danny still feels a need to trade Rondo, I wouldn't be shocked to see this trade happen.  Though it seems Rondo has such low trade value we might not even be able to pull off that trade.

You could switch out JO and put in a signed-and-traded Glen Davis or Jeff Green and then add Jared Dudley to the deal coming back to the Celtics (Dudley has more value on a contender, Jeff Green has higher upside).

If you're starting PP/Ray/Nash the lack of athleticism will be shocking. Our transition defense will be really bad.

I don't think this is true. It's not like Rondo was singlehandedly keeping our transition D together when we had an even slower assortment with the Big 3 and Shaq.  These guys can hustle.

Nash/Big 3/Gortat would be an incredible team if it could stick together health-wise.  You lose a lot with Rondo's departure (defense, relative durability and endurance, rebounding), but Nash/Gortat play beautifully together and they fit this team's weaknesses like a glove.  Any team with a KG/Gortat pairing will be excellent defensively, even with a sieve like Nash.  And that starting line-up will be nightmarish to stop offensively. 

It's not that Nash is better than Rondo, he's not.  But combined with Gortat, he makes this team quite a bit better for one year.

And Gortat's a fine value going forward.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If the Celtics lose out on Chris Paul, and Danny still feels a need to trade Rondo, I wouldn't be shocked to see this trade happen.  Though it seems Rondo has such low trade value we might not even be able to pull off that trade.

You could switch out JO and put in a signed-and-traded Glen Davis or Jeff Green and then add Jared Dudley to the deal coming back to the Celtics (Dudley has more value on a contender, Jeff Green has higher upside).

If you're starting PP/Ray/Nash the lack of athleticism will be shocking. Our transition defense will be really bad.

I don't think this is true. It's not like Rondo was singlehandedly keeping our transition D together when we had an even slower assortment with the Big 3 and Shaq.  These guys can hustle.

Not single handedly, but he had a lot to do with it. If a guard with decent athleticism and ballhandling skills gets an outlet pass, are you expecting Ray and Nash to stop him? Good luck with that...

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

If the Celtics lose out on Chris Paul, and Danny still feels a need to trade Rondo, I wouldn't be shocked to see this trade happen.  Though it seems Rondo has such low trade value we might not even be able to pull off that trade.

I actually like this deal. Gortat would give the Celtics, just what they need, a decent center who can score. Also, offensively you are upgrading by swaping Rondo for Nash.

Sign me up!

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION

Nash/Big 3/Gortat would be an incredible team if it could stick together health-wise.  You lose a lot with Rondo's departure (defense, relative durability and endurance, rebounding), but Nash/Gortat play beautifully together and they fit this team's weaknesses like a glove.  Any team with a KG/Gortat pairing will be excellent defensively, even with a sieve like Nash.  And that starting line-up will be nightmarish to stop offensively. 

It's not that Nash is better than Rondo, he's not.  But combined with Gortat, he makes this team quite a bit better for one year.

And Gortat's a fine value going forward.
I could actually see this working and in the end you have a fair price for Gortat to match with Pierce to build on. After they win in 2012 Ray, KG, JO (I think this would be BBD leaving not JO) and Nash all could be extended for another run next year at a much lower price after they all come off the books. That would still leave DA room for a FA or 2 to rebuild next year. I love Rondo and would like to keep him green forever but I don't think DA wants to have another 10-20 year rebuild and he knows he has 1 trade chip to prevent that.
Sign me up and put my money in Geritol!
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The only Rondo trade I could see potentially happening if it's not for CP3 is with Indiana for combination of Hibbert, Collison/Hill and George/Mcroberts.  with picks probably involved.

Although Hibbert provides relief in the middle, neither Collison nor Hill are near Rondo's level and George/Mcroberts offer some bench relief. 

I'm not sold on the CP3 deal simply because I think the C's will end up giving up a lot w/o having CP3 signed after this year leaving us holding an empty bag for the next 2-3 years.

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
I would rather keep rondo and try to get okafor use him for a year then give him amnesty next year

davis n oneal for meka trade

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Agreed.  Our team had the best transition defense in the league last year with almost the same team.  The primary determinant of transition defense is aggressiveness on the offensive glass.  Doc's overall strategy is get back on defense and don't crash the o-boards.  The result last season was the celtics being the worst offensive rebounding team in the league, but the best transition defense team in the league.  Pretty fair trade off if you feel that your team is generally not strong at rebounding anyways.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
I would rather keep rondo and try to get okafor use him for a year then give him amnesty next year

davis n oneal for meka trade
You can't amnesty another teams player.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
A better option in the short term than C.Paul.

Marcin Gortat brings far more added value to the table than the difference between Paul and Nash.
All reports have Ainge being very concerned with the future after this year.

I don't see him making this sort of move.
Maybe. It's easy for Ainge to say that now while those opportunities are still on the table ... but if those options fall apart? I wonder.

Is a much improved title shot enough to tempt him to do otherwise? To go all-in and worry about the future at a later date? Hmm ... I don't know.

He traded Perk because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to sign him this season when he didn't know if JO or Shaq were going to be healthy.
Danny Ainge did that when he thought there were excellent opportunities available with Chris Paul (trade) and Dwight Howard (free agency).

Does he make the same decision, or same type of decision, if Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are off the market. With Eric Gordon, Kevin Love and Brook Lopez all likely to sign contract extensions also. What would be left in the 2012 market? Does Ainge stay patient for 2013 or 2014?

I don't know. I'm not saying what Danny would do. I'm not sure which way he'd decide to go with it.

I think it's a maybe. He might just consider it ... If he felt strongly enough in team's ability to win the title (with Nash + Gortat).
Agreed.  Danny Ainge WAS concerned about cap space going forward, but he has to be willing to change his strategy as the free agency landscape changes.

If it was once looking hopeful to make a big splash and isn't any longer, then Danny has to look to other options.

I'm in the group that thinks building around Rondo is a one-way road to mediocrity, so I could very possibly be on board for this all-or-nothing approach of getting multiple parts from Phoenix.  I'd want to get Dudley and/or Pietrus in this deal too along with Nash and Gortat.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:03:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
so now that chris paul is going to the lakers, what do we think about trying to get a consolation prize trade?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
so now that chris paul is going to the lakers, what do we think about trying to get a consolation prize trade?

It's OK, we've got Dooling.

( :'( )

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

It's OK, we've got Dooling.

( :'( )

that's like, totally the same thing, right?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers