Author Topic: The Chris Paul "Consolation Prize" Trade  (Read 4417 times)

The Chris Paul "Consolation Prize" Trade
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7p3fjsf

If the Celtics lose out on Chris Paul, and Danny still feels a need to trade Rondo, I wouldn't be shocked to see this trade happen.  Though it seems Rondo has such low trade value we might not even be able to pull off that trade.

You could switch out JO and put in a signed-and-traded Glen Davis or Jeff Green and then add Jared Dudley to the deal coming back to the Celtics (Dudley has more value on a contender, Jeff Green has higher upside).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: The Chris Paul "Consolation Prize" Trade
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No way do you make this trade, no way.

If you're trading Rondo you need to be getting elite talent that puts us in a better place to go forward. Or you need to getting picks and set yourselve up to be a lottery team for a few years.

This does neither.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No way.  

Ainge has been to concerned about the future to make a trade like that.  

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
A better option in the short term than C.Paul.

Marcin Gortat brings far more added value to the table than the difference between Paul and Nash.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
A PG who can shoot and a halfway decent center?  Not a bad "win now" trade.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

If you're trading Rondo you need to be getting elite talent that puts us in a better place to go forward. Or you need to getting picks and set yourselve up to be a lottery team for a few years.

This does neither.

actually, it would set us up to be a lottery team after this year when nash, ray, kg (and perhaps JO) all finish their contracts at the same time. 

we could even perhaps get a 1st round pick from phoenix in this trade, and that would probably be a lottery pick (meaning we could have as many as 3 first round picks next summer).

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Marcin Gortat brings far more added value to the table than the difference between Paul and Nash.
All reports have Ainge being very concerned with the future after this year.

I don't see him making this sort of move.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This does neither.

actually, it would set us up to be a lottery team after this year when nash, ray, kg (and perhaps JO) all finish their contracts at the same time. 

we could even perhaps get a 1st round pick from phoenix in this trade, and that would probably be a lottery pick (meaning we could have as many as 3 first round picks next summer).
You can just sign every d-league scrub to fill out your 15 man roster and play them if you want to be a lottery team.

The key is that Gortat going forward isn't worth giving up Rondo's future. The potential of CP3 long term is, even a first round pick wouldn't be worth that sort of downgrade.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
keep rondo and fill out the roster.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

part of DA's concern about the future seems to be, though, that he doesn't rondo as a player to rebuild around.  otherwise trading him for a one year rental of chris paul doesn't make sense.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Maybe. It's easy for Ainge to say that now while those opportunities are still on the table ... but if those options fall apart? I wonder.

Is a much improved title shot enough to tempt him to do otherwise? To go all-in and worry about the future at a later date? Hmm ... I don't know.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Maybe. It's easy for Ainge to say that now while those opportunities are still on the table ... but if those options fall apart? I wonder.

Is a much improved title shot enough to tempt him to do otherwise? To go all-in and worry about the future at a later date? Hmm ... I don't know.

He traded Perk because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to sign him this season when he didn't know if JO or Shaq were going to be healthy.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC

He traded Perk because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to sign him this season when he didn't know if JO or Shaq were going to be healthy.

and the guy he traded him for he might not even resign..what a waste

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Danny Ainge did that when he thought there were excellent opportunities available with Chris Paul (trade) and Dwight Howard (free agency).

Does he make the same decision, or same type of decision, if Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are off the market. With Eric Gordon, Kevin Love and Brook Lopez all likely to sign contract extensions also. What would be left in the 2012 market? Does Ainge stay patient for 2013 or 2014?

I don't know. I'm not saying what Danny would do. I'm not sure which way he'd decide to go with it.

I think it's a maybe. He might just consider it ... If he felt strongly enough in team's ability to win the title (with Nash + Gortat).

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7p3fjsf

If the Celtics lose out on Chris Paul, and Danny still feels a need to trade Rondo, I wouldn't be shocked to see this trade happen.  Though it seems Rondo has such low trade value we might not even be able to pull off that trade.

You could switch out JO and put in a signed-and-traded Glen Davis or Jeff Green and then add Jared Dudley to the deal coming back to the Celtics (Dudley has more value on a contender, Jeff Green has higher upside).

If you're starting PP/Ray/Nash the lack of athleticism will be shocking. Our transition defense will be really bad.