Author Topic: Houston / LA / Hornets Discuss Paul to Lakers (merged)  (Read 35863 times)

Re: New (and bad) stuff from Wojo
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

b) other teams don't seem to value rondo as highly as we do

Does this also mean that other teams don't value CP3 like people here do? I keep hearing about a top 5 franchise player who can carry a team on his back through the playoffs yet teams are refusing to consider trading players like Curry or Gordon for him.
"chris paul" is different in value from "one season rental of chris paul", and that's why other teams that aren't in win-now mode are reluctant to mortgage all their assets for him.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Names talked about in CP3 3-way are: CP to Lakers, Gasol to HOU & Kevin Martin & Luis Scola and possible picks to Hornets, source tells Y!

Re: Houston / LA / Hornets Discuss Paul to Lakers
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would Houston give up two starters to bring in Gasol?

Mike
That doesn't make a ton of sense to me either, I mean I rate Gasol highly but I don't think this puts Houston in a position to contend.

A lot would depend on what they'd do with their cap space afterwards and what sort of draft picks go out.

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Another update from Wojo:

Names talked about in CP3 3-way are: CP to Lakers, Gasol to HOU & Kevin Martin & Luis Scola and possible picks to Hornets, source tells Y!

This seems crazy to me: crazy that the Lakers wouldn't have to give up Bynum, and crazy that Houston would relinquish two good players -- and possibly picks -- for ... Gasol?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears

scola and martin and picks?  doesn't make sense to me.

those two couldn't make houston a playoff team in the west, and neither has much upside.  rockets picks aren't likely to be great if they're getting pau gasol.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Another update from Wojo:

This seems crazy to me: crazy that the Lakers wouldn't have to give up Bynum, and crazy that Houston would relinquish two good players -- and possibly picks -- for ... Gasol?

it stinks...plain and simple

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
As one front office executive dealing with Hornets says, "It's frustrating now, because they still have so many balls in the air."

Adrian Wojnarowski
The Lakers are trying to do a deal for Chris Paul that will allow them to keep Andrew Bymum, front office source says.

Adrian Wojnarowski
As SI.com reports, the Lakers, Hornets and Rockets are engaged in 3-way talks on deal that would send Chris Paul to Lakers.

This would stink. Totally.

Why the Rockets? I could see a team like Indiana or GS (plenty of talent/potential but no cohesion) being partners, but Houston seems to be pretty void of valuable trade assets.

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

@SpearsNBAYahoo
I think I'll cry if that happens.

Why would Houston do that?  They'd be getting worse talent, and wouldn't be saving any money.  I mean, I actually like Pau, but he's not as good as Scola and Martin combined.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

@SpearsNBAYahoo
I think I'll cry if that happens.

Why would Houston do that?  They'd be getting worse talent, and wouldn't be saving any money.  I mean, I actually like Pau, but he's not as good as Scola and Martin combined.

Plus, they are talking about the possibility of giving up picks. Makes no sense at all.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:01 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
because the NBA runs the hornets..and they want the lakers to get paul

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
So what it would be CP3 to Lakers, Gasol to Houston, and what does NOH get?

Doesn't make sense to me. Houston doesn't have much beyond Martin, Scola, and Lowry. Wouldn't make sense for them to trade all those players for Gasol.

I'd assume Kevin Martin and some combination of: Chase Budinger, Goran Dragic, Jordan Hill, Marcus Morris, Patrick Patterson and Terrence Williams, as well as two picks in the 2012 draft, Houston's own and New York's.

I suppose Houston could also include Kyle Lowry and take a run at Billups if the rumors that he'll be waived via the Amnesty clause are true.

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Lakers can get Paul without giving up the ability to get Howard, then I hope Paul's knees blow out on opening night.

That's just wrong. 

You should want his knees to blow out a week before the trade deadline so that he has no chance of coming back for the playoffs and the Lakers need to spend trade assets to rent a replacement.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:35 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
If the Rockets land Gasol in 3-way trade, expect them to make a strong run at Nuggets free agent center Nene, source tells @YahooSports.

- Marc Spears via twitter.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
How is that 3 way trade idea even close to wat we're offering are u serious right now???

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
As one front office executive dealing with Hornets says, "It's frustrating now, because they still have so many balls in the air."

Adrian Wojnarowski
The Lakers are trying to do a deal for Chris Paul that will allow them to keep Andrew Bymum, front office source says.

Adrian Wojnarowski
As SI.com reports, the Lakers, Hornets and Rockets are engaged in 3-way talks on deal that would send Chris Paul to Lakers.

This would stink. Totally.

Why the Rockets? I could see a team like Indiana or GS (plenty of talent/potential but no cohesion) being partners, but Houston seems to be pretty void of valuable trade assets.

well okay, houston has a lot of valuable trade assets -- but none of them individually is worth a LOT.

kevin martin is a very good player, so is luis scola.  both can be key contributors on a good team.  martin is actually one of the most efficient scorers in the league.

kyle lowry is a very solid young pg with potential. 

patrick patterson, marcus morris, donatas motiejunas are all big men with the potential to be starter-quality.

i agree, though, that it's confusing why new orleans would be more interested in any of those players than an all-star caliber player like Rondo.

- Doc Rivers