Author Topic: Amare for CP3?  (Read 2967 times)

Amare for CP3?
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Quote from: Marc Stein
Signing Chandler, sources said, could free up the Knicks to offer star forward Amare Stoudemire to the New Orleans Hornets in a trade scenario for Chris Paul, who badly wants to reunite with Chandler after their time together with the Hornets.

I'm skeptical the Knicks would break up the Melo / Amare combo, but otherwise signing Chandler basically means they're giving up on getting Chris Paul, since they wouldn't have any room to sign him next summer.

How great would that be, huh?  Celtics pull out all the stops and seriously damage their relationship with their star PG in order to try and land Chris Paul, and he ends up getting traded to New York against all expectations. 

In two weeks on Christmas, what if CP3 is playing at MSG . . . but not for the Celtics?  How much hype would that Rondo vs. Chris Paul game get?

Crazy.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: Amare for CP3?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It makes no sense to trade Amare in my mind.  Chandler next to Amare is a monster combination. 

If I'm the Knicks, I sign J.J. Barea or Earl Watson in free agency, sign Grant Hill, and then sign Steve Nash next year for the MLE. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would trade Melo for Paul in that scenario.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

i'd be torn.  amare is worth a lot more than melo on the court, but melo has the potential to be a lot more valuable if he can improve defensively, and amare has had some serious knee issues, while melo hasn't had any major injury concerns.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

i'd be torn.  amare is worth a lot more than melo on the court, but melo has the potential to be a lot more valuable if he can improve defensively, and amare has had some serious knee issues, while melo hasn't had any major injury concerns.

Paul, pick and roll with Amare; Chandler there to clean up the glass or get easy shots at the basket when defenses have to react. 

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
It makes no sense to trade Amare in my mind.  Chandler next to Amare is a monster combination. 

If I'm the Knicks, I sign J.J. Barea or Earl Watson in free agency, sign Grant Hill, and then sign Steve Nash next year for the MLE. 

yeah, im with you.  it would be awesome if the knicks could somehow get steve nash this season (trade douglas, billups, fields for nash and josh childress?).  d'antoni suns reunion in new york. 

then watch vince go to NY for the mini-MLE.  interesting team to say the least.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Paul, pick and roll with Amare; Chandler there to clean up the glass or get easy shots at the basket when defenses have to react. 

i agree with you that paul / amare / chandler is better on the court, but im saying that it's a lot riskier long term to bank on that group than paul / melo / chandler.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Signing Nash next year makes tons of sense with the players and coach the Knicks would have. This year though, I think the Knicks are taking a slight step backwards having the PGs playing that they have or are available.

Besides, Amare is a 29 year old with the knees and salary of a 34 year old. Is that really what New Orleans would want to try to build a team around, especially a guy who is going to be miffed that he got traded out of the city he was desperate to play in? The minute he would arrive Amare would be demanding a trade.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Hard to see New Orleans pulling the trigger.  They're not in a position to build a contender around a single, 29-year old star.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline wontbstopped

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Ye, the only way the Knicks can get CP3 is if they trade Melo or Amare, and it seems if that were the case, Amare would be the one to go.

This whole Chris Paul thing is crazy, and I'm just hoping it ends soon. What I really hope is that he goes to a team like the Knicks with Rondo staying here and seeing Rondo take a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on him. I'm kind of anxious to see what happens if we keep Rondo. You have to think he'll be looking for blood against Paul.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »

Offline wontbstopped

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Just to add, the Knicks could just keep Amare, Melo, and Chandler and get Nash next year with the MLE.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think James Dolan would trade Amare Stoudemire.

He has a strange loyalty to certain people. I expect Amare and Melo both have his loyalty.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Hard to see New Orleans pulling the trigger.  They're not in a position to build a contender around a single, 29-year old star.

It would have to be a 3-way deal.  Although I have a hard time imagining Amare will bring more value than Rondo, Green, and a pick or two.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It would have to be a 3-way deal.  Although I have a hard time imagining Amare will bring more value than Rondo, Green, and a pick or two.
Not with his contract, age, and medical red flags.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think James Dolan would trade Amare Stoudemire.

He has a strange loyalty to certain people. I expect Amare and Melo both have his loyalty.
Yeah I agree, he loves Isiah Thomas and I'd be shocked if he didn't have a similar attachment to Amar'e after coming to New York and going back to the playoffs.