Author Topic: How good would this team be?  (Read 2614 times)

How good would this team be?
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
C: Tyson Chandler
PF: David Lee
SF: Dorell Wright
SG: Monta Ellis
PG: Chris Paul

Bench:  Charlie Bell, Louis Amundson, nobody decent to speak of

Is that team good enough to make it out of the West?  I'm not a huge believer, but hey, I'm convinceable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: How good would this team be?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Playoff team for sure..but won't make it out of the West without a decent bench.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I hate Ellis as the SG next to Paul (not good at playing off the ball), but otherwise, its a decent lineup.  If they could swing Ellis for a more traditional SG, then I think they could be very scary.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Is that team good enough to make it out of the West?  I'm not a huge believer, but hey, I'm convinceable.

Has killer potential on paper... I think the dynamics on the court wouldnt work out well... If everyone played to their potential and filled their roles then that could be a dangerous team. However I think Ellis, Wright, and Lee are all overratted. The bench would certainly be an issue as well so Im not sold.

Like I said, crazy potential on paper however.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't think that team could handle

any of last year's Western conference playoff teams

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Title Contender. Second tier side, very close to title contender

Tyson Chandler and Chris Paul are a terrific combination and do most of the heavy lifting for the team.

I think they'd be best off trying to trade Lee and Ellis for more complementary fits ... for something that takes them from "one of the contenders" to "team to beat".

Or in the short term, move D.Wright or M.Ellis to the bench in favour of a defensive wing with physical toughness. Preferably someone with a decent (or better) jump-shot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:01:07 PM by Who »

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1032

I just don't see Chandler and Lee clicking together. Although Lee has developed a jumper, they are both still glorified garbage men on offense, and Chandler is as good on defense as Lee is bad.

Ellis and Paul would also not work IMO. They both seem to need the ball in their hands for 15 seconds per possession.

Weak bench obviously.

Would the team win 50? Probably. But they aren't going deep in the playoffs. I'd be surprised if they made it out of the first round.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't think that team could handle

any of last year's Western conference playoff teams

In fact, I think the Clippers could take them if they stay healthy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

a heck of a lot better than the hornets last year . . . so probably a middle seed at least.  but a contender?  naw.

monta's not a good fit with cp3 (or any other ball-dominant guard) anyway.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I actually see Lee and Chandler as a great fit together.  Chandler covers up for Lee defensively, Lee covers the boards, allowing Chandler to roam a bit more defensively, and on offense, Lee can run the pick and roll game with Paul, while Chandler hangs out on the weak side, waiting to catch alley-oops and clean up offensive rebounds.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I think the Warriors would be quite similar to the Spurs. A lot of weapons offensively. Vulnerable defensively and on the boards.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more like the Spurs they are ... a second tier side not quite good enough to contend.

I am going to retract my first statement (GSW = title contender).

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Title Contender.

Tyson Chandler and Chris Paul are a terrific combination and do most of the heavy lifting for the team.

I think they'd be best off trying to trade Lee and Ellis for more complementary fits ... for something that takes them from "one of the contenders" to "team to beat".

Or in the short term, move D.Wright or M.Ellis to the bench in favour of a defensive wing with physical toughness. Preferably someone with a decent (or better) jump-shot.
Ellis would be absolutely electric as a 1/2 combo guard off the bench.  Electric. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Title Contender.

Ellis would be absolutely electric as a 1/2 combo guard off the bench.  Electric. 

he would also be absolutely unhappy off the bench.  unhappy.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Title Contender.

Ellis would be absolutely electric as a 1/2 combo guard off the bench.  Electric.  

he would also be absolutely unhappy off the bench.  unhappy.
Haha, touche.  Even if they had the best record in the nba and he was playing 30-35 mpg and scoring 20ppg you think though (like Manu and Jason Terry)?  I'm not convinced, but I do wonder.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:33:57 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Title Contender.

Ellis would be absolutely electric as a 1/2 combo guard off the bench.  Electric.  

he would also be absolutely unhappy off the bench.  unhappy.
Haha, touche.  Even if they had the best record in the nba and he was playing 30-35 mpg and scoring 20ppg you think though (like Manu and Jason Terry)?  I'm not convinced, but I do wonder.

i just have a hard time imagining monta buying into that when he's dominated the ball and scored 24-25 points per game for the past couple of seasons.

- Doc Rivers