Author Topic: Celtics Plan B: Rondo for Westbrook  (Read 7193 times)

Celtics Plan B: Rondo for Westbrook
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
After all of this trade talk I am convinced Rondo will be traded for someone. If not for CP3, why not Westbrook? He's only 23 and averages above 22PPG and shoots .850+ from the line. While he isn't as good defensively as Rondo, I believe it is easier to teach defense than shooting. The Celtics will get a young star who IMO is about to have a breakout year, and the Thunder get someone perfect to dish out to their stars like Durant and Harden, (Who hasn't gotten as many looks due to all of Westbrook's offense), and the best defensive point guard in the league. The Thunder need more defense and less offense, while the Celtics need more offense and less defense.

Thoughts?

Re: Celtics Plan B: Rondo for Westbrook
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
There was a rumor that Ainge proposed this trade to the Thunder after the playoffs and it was turned down. It was Rondo and Green for Westbrook and Perkins. Obviously its a "rumor" so take it with a grain of salt. Either way, I doubt the Thunder would do that trade even though I think Rondo may be better suited for their team as a distributor typer player with Durant as opposed to a scoring pg like Westbrook.

I think I remember reports during the playoffs that they were disgusted with Westbrook not deferring more too....
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
After all of this trade talk I am convinced Rondo will be traded for someone. If not for CP3, why not Westbrook? He's only 23 and averages above 22PPG and shoots .850+ from the line. While he isn't as good defensively as Rondo, I believe it is easier to teach defense than shooting. The Celtics will get a young star who IMO is about to have a breakout year, and the Thunder get someone perfect to dish out to their stars like Durant and Harden, (Who hasn't gotten as many looks due to all of Westbrook's offense), and the best defensive point guard in the league. The Thunder need more defense and less offense, while the Celtics need more offense and less defense.

Thoughts?

Do the Celts need more offense, or more offense from the point guard spot? Because one doesn't always lead to the other.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I personally think Westbrook is a slightly better overall player than Rondo, so I would do this deal.

I think he's already had his "breakout year", but I think he'll continue to grow as he used to play SG and is still learning a lot about the PG position.

The deal makes some sense for OKC personnel-wise for the points you mentioned.  But if they did, suddenly they would be the team lacking offense.  They'd have a starting PG, PF, and C who are all relatively poor scorers for starters and possibly a SG out there at times (Sefalosha) who is a poor scorer as well.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dont like it at all... Sure Westbrook can score but I like Rondo overall as a player more... He makes players better and can get them the ball in their spots which is incredibly underratted. Look at how Nash won his MVP's, by making players around him better.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Dont like it at all... Sure Westbrook can score but I like Rondo overall as a player more... He makes players better and can get them the ball in their spots which is incredibly underratted. Look at how Nash won his MVP's, by making players around him better.

Agree completely.  The Thunder should come hard after Rondo

Rondo, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Perkins

What a team.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
do we forget how Westbrook was benched against the mavs? and was criticized for making tons of horrible shots?

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

What a team.
Absolutely. They'd be incredible. Easily the best in the West.

I'd love to see them add Shane Battier as a sixth man to that squad too. That would be beautiful.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

What a team.

I'd love to see them add Shane Battier as a sixth man to that squad too. That would be beautiful.
I see 3 relatively poor scorers (for starters) in that lineup.  Two players you can sag off of completely to help on Durant.  First off the bench is another poor scorer in Sefalosha?  I think this team would be good, but not incredible.  Durant has to carry a TON of the offensive workload.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

What a team.

I see 3 relatively poor scorers (for starters) in that lineup.  Two players you can sag off of completely to help on Durant.  First off the bench is another poor scorer in Sefalosha?  I think this team would be good, but not incredible.  Durant has to carry a TON of the offensive workload.

The bread and butter would be defense.  Rondo can score if asked, Harden is a scorer and Durant is a superstar scorer.   I think they could work it out...yes, a little shooting for the bench would be nice...

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

What a team.

The bread and butter would be defense.  Rondo can score if asked, Harden is a scorer and Durant is a superstar scorer.   I think they could work it out...yes, a little shooting for the bench would be nice...

I agree with that for sure, that's why I think this team would be good.  Still not buying incredible though.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
There was a rumor that Ainge proposed this trade to the Thunder after the playoffs and it was turned down. It was Rondo and Green for Westbrook and Perkins. Obviously its a "rumor" so take it with a grain of salt. Either way, I doubt the Thunder would do that trade even though I think Rondo may be better suited for their team as a distributor typer player with Durant as opposed to a scoring pg like Westbrook.

I think I remember reports during the playoffs that they were disgusted with Westbrook not deferring more too....
It was reported recently as well I think OKC said no thanks
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Rondo is the better overall player compared to Westbrook.

OKC would be dumb not to trade for Rondo.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I do NOT like Westbrook. Not for this C's team at least.

How about a three-team trade with New Orleans?

I think NOH would probably prefer Westbrook over Rondo because he is a scorer and cheaper (right now).

Of course OKC would want CP3 over Rondo, but CP3 probably wouldn't stay there even with Durant. So they get Rondo, who compliments KD almost perfectly and can almost make Perkins worth the money they gave him. Ibaka and Harden would love Rondo too.

I'm sure there would have to be a lot more to it for salaries to match, but the best players being moved makes sense for every team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
I do NOT like Westbrook. Not for this C's team at least.

How about a three-team trade with New Orleans?

I think NOH would probably prefer Westbrook over Rondo because he is a scorer and cheaper (right now).

Of course OKC would want CP3 over Rondo, but CP3 probably wouldn't stay there even with Durant. So they get Rondo, who compliments KD almost perfectly and can almost make Perkins worth the money they gave him. Ibaka and Harden would love Rondo too.

I'm sure there would have to be a lot more to it for salaries to match, but the best players being moved makes sense for every team.

NOH gets: Westbrook, Nate, BBD, BJ Mullins, LAC draft pick
OKC gets: Rondo, and Jeff Green (I think OKC would like to have Green back.  He and Durant were great friends, right?)
BOS gets: CP, Nazr

?  I don't know if these salaries are close enough, but extra filler could be thrown in.  The more I think about this, the more I like it for all teams.