Author Topic: Jeff Green S & T idea with Sacramento  (Read 4547 times)

Re: Jeff Green S & T idea with Sacramento
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
so we basically traded perk for a 7 million dollar trade exception?

yeah, people are gonna LOVE that one.
Yeah it won't be popular but it could be smart. If there's no big trades, and I get the feeling there won't be, then the C's could have Pierce, Rondo, Bradley, Moore, Johnson, Baby and their two first round picks next year on the payroll for an estimated $37-38 million.  With holds for empty player slots that's about $40 million with about $20 million to spend. Plus or minus.

I would love to have that $20 million and the ability to use $2.5 million go over the cap exception and a $7 million trade exception to work with than adding Green to the mix and having $13 million to spend and only the $2.5 million exception. Especially if Danny thinks right now that Green isn't going to be a corner piece of this franchise for years to come.

I like your thinking here, and a ~$7M trade exemption could be really useful.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I disagree with you on this one Nick, trade exceptions are almost universally worthless. They just aren't used for anything the vast majority of the time. They give fans lots more options with the trade machine web apps but that is largely it.

The scenario you outline isn't even "smart", its the outcome of the Kings saying they're going to sign Green and the C's refusing to match but grabbing a trade exception for nothing (similar to what the Pacers and New Orleans did with Peja, made it a sign and trade when New Orleans could have just signed him outright). This scenario isn't truly a trade, rather its just Jeff Green leaving in FA.

I mean yeah its better to have the trade exception than nothing, but functionally the trade exception is nothing.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I disagree with you on this one Nick, trade exceptions are almost universally worthless. They just aren't used for anything the vast majority of the time. They give fans lots more options with the trade machine web apps but that is largely it.

The scenario you outline isn't even "smart", its the outcome of the Kings saying they're going to sign Green and the C's refusing to match but grabbing a trade exception for nothing (similar to what the Pacers and New Orleans did with Peja, made it a sign and trade when New Orleans could have just signed him outright). This scenario isn't truly a trade, rather its just Jeff Green leaving in FA.

I mean yeah its better to have the trade exception than nothing, but functionally the trade exception is nothing.

Couldn't agree more.

Rarely are they even used, let alone for something big.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I wouldn't do it.

Green the player can be added in a package deal.

The trade exception can not.

I thought trade exceptions could be included in a package deal so long as they were designated for one specific player that fell in that trade exception value.

For instance if the C's traded Rondo and the trade exception to someone for player A and player B the trade would be approved so long as either player A or player B's salary fit within the trade exception.

So the 7 million exceptions is for a toss in player?

I rather Green the player so if the team needs to trade more guys to equal one guys contract, he is useful there.

Plus, Green has more value in this league then cap. 

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
so we basically traded perk for a 7 million dollar trade exception?

yeah, people are gonna LOVE that one.

Lol, started my day off with a good laugh. But ya that would be an epic fail
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They just aren't used for anything the vast majority of the time.

Good point, I hadn't thought of this.
Little blog article here on this: http://thedawggs.blogspot.com/2010/07/assessing-nba-trade-exception-market.html

Also, I read somewhere that the teams with big TEs (such as Cleveland) were lobbying to have them extended, since they were not able to use them in the "offseason". That could make this current FA period a bit more interesting.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While I know most trade exceptions don't get used I do know some do, especially when teams are trying to shed money off their cap. I'm pretty sure Utah got Al Jefferson because of a trade exception and Phoenix got Kurt Thomas a couple years ago with a trade exception. So they can get used and for very good players.

My logic here is that next year teams are going to want to be clearing money off their books to either free up space to get an MLE rather than just the mini-MLE or to get enough space to be able to offer Paul, Williams or Howard a contract. If there was going to be a year where someone would want to take a trade exception for a player, it would be next year.

Its definitely a gamble but good players can be had for trade exceptions