Author Topic: Jeff Green S & T idea with Sacramento  (Read 4548 times)

Jeff Green S & T idea with Sacramento
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sacramento is $17 million under the league mandated minimum spending amount. They are absolutely going to have to acquire some talent, some expensive talent. Now if the Celtics aren't sold on Jeff Green, tell him that. Maybe Green would want to play SF somewhere where he could start and make good money. So why not do the following:

Boston signs green to a 4 year $30 million contract and trade him to Sacramento for a $7 million trade exception.

One, it would lower the team's payroll and cap amount, possibly close to a level which would allow them to use a full MLE and not just a mini MLE(not 100% sure this is true since I don't know exact numbers regarding holds and such). Two, it would be good through this time next year and would come in handy next summer in trading for a player to rebuild this team with. Three, it would keep the team's overall fiscal cap flexibility in tact and allow the team to sign a vet wing for less than the $5.9 million qualifying offer the team would have to spend on Green and possibly for just one year(Battier or Hill on a two year deal, team option on the second year with a guarantee of something like $1 million going to the player)

People are going to not like this because they will say that Danny is giving up on this season if they are doing this but I think Danny has to start looking to the future and a $7 million to $7.5 million trade exception would come in really handy next summer, and probably net them a better piece going forward than Jeff Green.

Re: Jeff Green S & T idea with Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
so we basically traded perk for a 7 million dollar trade exception?

yeah, people are gonna LOVE that one.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:24:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah it won't be popular but it could be smart. If there's no big trades, and I get the feeling there won't be, then the C's could have Pierce, Rondo, Bradley, Moore, Johnson, Baby and their two first round picks next year on the payroll for an estimated $37-38 million.  With holds for empty player slots that's about $40 million with about $20 million to spend. Plus or minus.

I would love to have that $20 million and the ability to use $2.5 million go over the cap exception and a $7 million trade exception to work with than adding Green to the mix and having $13 million to spend and only the $2.5 million exception. Especially if Danny thinks right now that Green isn't going to be a corner piece of this franchise for years to come.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:18:33 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't know, I'm willing to trade Green but for an exception I'm not sure. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to find the right player to use the exception on. I just don't want to get stuck with an over-paid player that a team was just waiting to give away.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:21:06 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

We traded perk for assets. That's it. Green is a potential asset, as is the clippers pick. What was he supposed to do? Let perk walk and get nothing? There was no hometown discount coming. Perk was gone and DA knew it.

It was a great deal when you honestly look at it because the perk I saw in the playoffs wasn't the difference in getting by Miami or not.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:36 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

We traded perk for assets. That's it. Green is a potential asset, as is the clippers pick. What was he supposed to do? Let perk walk and get nothing? There was no hometown discount coming. Perk was gone and DA knew it.

It was a great deal when you honestly look at it because the perk I saw in the playoffs wasn't the difference in getting by Miami or not.

hey, you're preaching to the choir on all those points.

but im just pointing out why a great many people around here would not be happy with that sort of move.

i tend to think that we can get a bit more out of jef green than just a 7 million dollar trade exception.  if we aren't holding onto him for another year and considering him as a long term piece, we ought to be able to get some value out of him as a trade piece other than a trade exception.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Whom would we use the exception on then? 

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:03 AM »

Offline TaxiDriver2500

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • A Legend in his own mind..
Whom would we use the exception on then? 

Blake Griffin...duh!
Too much coffee and Gatorade. It's a hell of a mix. If you're ever tired in the morning, just try that mix, and tell me what you think. -Kevin Garnett

"My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the f***ing truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this."

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is going to get more than 7 million a year and I don't think he is a FA this year.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Foul!!

You are omitting the clipper's pick plus the fact that OKC is paying Nate's $4.5M this year and not us.

And that is letting the probably false implied assumption that we would have kept Perk slide.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:57:11 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Foul!!

You are omitting the clipper's pick plus the fact that OKC is paying Nate's $4.5M this year and not us.

And that is letting the probably false implied assumption that we would have kept Perk slide.

again, i was playing devil's advocate a little bit there; that's the reaction i'd imagine a lot of people would have.

if the clippers manage to trade for cp3 or dwight howard, it's unlikely that the pick we'll get would be very good, anyhow.  if they don't trade for either of those guys, there's a good chance they'll be in the top 10 again.  no guarantee we see much from that pick.

still, i don't see the point of giving jeff green away that easily. it seems to me we traded for him to at least try to make him a long term asset.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I wouldn't do it.

Green the player can be added in a package deal.

The trade exception can not.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Foul!!

again, i was playing devil's advocate a little bit there; that's the reaction i'd imagine a lot of people would have.

if the clippers manage to trade for cp3 or dwight howard, it's unlikely that the pick we'll get would be very good, anyhow.  if they don't trade for either of those guys, there's a good chance they'll be in the top 10 again.  no guarantee we see much from that pick.

still, i don't see the point of giving jeff green away that easily. it seems to me we traded for him to at least try to make him a long term asset.

OK, your clarification is duly noted, I recind the "foul" call.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I wouldn't do it.

Green the player can be added in a package deal.

The trade exception can not.

I thought trade exceptions could be included in a package deal so long as they were designated for one specific player that fell in that trade exception value.

For instance if the C's traded Rondo and the trade exception to someone for player A and player B the trade would be approved so long as either player A or player B's salary fit within the trade exception.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'd be ecstatic with this -- I think there is a good chance Sacramento is going to be looking closely at the guys who get cut via the amnesty clause