Author Topic: Hollinger, 3-Way Trade Idea  (Read 4456 times)

Hollinger, 3-Way Trade Idea
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Hollinger writes:

"Chris Paul and Trevor Ariza to Boston; Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Emeka Okafor to Indiana; Brandon Rush, Darren Collison, Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Glen Davis and Boston's first-round pick in 2012 to New Orleans.

We know that CP isn't gung ho about going to Boston, but consider this provocative question from our J.A. Adande: Would Boston rent Paul? The risk isn't as high as for some other squads: Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen both have expiring deals, and the Celtics could be in position to completely start over after this season even if Paul leaves, with only Paul Pierce under contract.

The other piece that needs to happen is Davis agreeing to a sign-and-trade; the LSU product would have a starting gig waiting for him in New Orleans, so I imagine he'd be amenable.

There's also a risk here for the Pacers, who would be cashing in most of their young-talent chips to get Rondo. Ideally they'd do this deal without the de facto Hibbert-Okafor trade, and I'm sure they're very reluctant to part with a rather talented young wingman in George. However, there are several combinations of outgoing players from Indiana that make this deal work (one that's intriguing: including New Orleans-raised Danny Granger), depending on the tastes of the Hornets and Pacers. I have to think they could agree on something if the basic parameters worked for all three sides.

While I think this deal is unlikely, Boston is the one team most likely to pursue Paul without a contract extension, and a three-way deal with Rondo is probably how it would go down."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7304119/nba-chris-paul-dwight-howard-trade-scenarios

Re: Hollinger, 3-Way Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
That's an awful lot for a one-year rental and no DH in tow.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
it sounds like a good trade, and certainly plausible, but i don't think it happens unless the hornets decide that they don't want / aren't going to get the other targets they've considered (package from clippers, stephen curry package from warriors, bynum package from lakers).  i think any deal the celtics can broker is probably a little ways down the list.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought Indiana was no longer interested in pursuing Rajon Rondo. Asking price too high.

Moved on to other targets.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
it sounds like a good trade, and certainly plausible, but i don't think it happens unless the hornets decide that they don't want / aren't going to get the other targets they've considered (package from clippers, stephen curry package from warriors, bynum package from lakers).  i think any deal the celtics can broker is probably a little ways down the list.

The only deal I think that trumps the Celtics deal is the Lakers deal, and that's only because its easier to build around size.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Hollinger conveniently leaves out that Ariza's contract runs through 2012-2013, and would take a bite out of the Celtics cap space next year, a large enough bite that I would think this would be a non-starter for Ainge.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
That's a great deal for Boston (best player in the trade, a good swingman), a quantity over quality deal for New Orleans and a trip down mediocrity lane for Indiana (Rondo-Granger isn't a championship quality 1-2 punch, Okafor's overpaid, no more trade assets to add missing pieces).

And how is NO going to meet minimum salary requirements after that trade?  Sending out Paul, Okafor and Ariza, likely losing West and bringing back a horde of players on rookie contracts: that will leave a burning hole in their pocket.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Hollinger conveniently leaves out that Ariza's contract runs through 2012-2013, and would take a bite out of the Celtics cap space next year, a large enough bite that I would think this would be a non-starter for Ainge.

Oh, and somehow I missed the Ariza part of his proposal.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
And wouldn't the acquisition of Ariza necessitate the trade of Green?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think I do that. My worry about a Rondo for Paul swap was always that if Cp3 decides to bolt next year we are left without much. Well trading Bradley and more importantly the clippers first leaves us with even less than not much.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Brilliant!

Ariza's deal...he could be amnestied or repackaged/traded later.  Not a deal-breaker in my view.

Pierce and a completely clean slate?  PERFECT for modern superstar free agency, where superstars want to pick their own team.  It would be exactly what Miami did to land their little troupe.

No chance of it happening, since it seems too high a price for Indy.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Brilliant!

Ariza's deal...he could be amnestied or repackaged/traded later.  Not a deal-breaker in my view.

Pierce and a completely clean slate?  PERFECT for modern superstar free agency, where superstars want to pick their own team.  It would be exactly what Miami did to land their little troupe.

I agree with you on all counts, except the last one. Don't forget that the Pacers are reportedly after both Marc Gasol and Jamal Crawford. So if they sign both, they're basically replacing Hibbert, Collison, Rush, and George with Gasol, Rondo, Crawford, and George Hill (who they traded for on draft day).

The Pacers would be signifcantly improved from last season and would have a great young nucleus (Rondo, Gasol, Granger) moving forward.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Brilliant!

He could not be amnestied by the Celtics. Amnesty only works on your own players who were signed to deals before this coming CBA goes into effect.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

I agree with you on all counts, except the last one. Don't forget that the Pacers are reportedly after both Marc Gasol and Jamal Crawford. So if they sign both, they're basically replacing Hibbert, Collison, Rush, and George with Gasol, Rondo, Crawford, and George Hill (who they traded for on draft day).

The Pacers would be signifcantly improved from last season and would have a great young nucleus (Rondo, Gasol, Granger) moving forward.

Pacers should kill for this deal. I think the Hornets couldn't do better. They might get more superstar-type players from the Lakers, but that group of players is low-wage but a very good group, including a better-than-average center and a better-than-average pg.

For the Cs, I like the idea of Ariza. Way overpaid, but a great defender off the bench who could spell both Pierce and Allen. Offense is terrible though, so you could sign VC (I know, I know) to pair with him.

I love my Rondo, but really, CP3 as a Celtic is such a dream.