Author Topic: The Clippers (Minnesota pick) question ?  (Read 2236 times)

The Clippers (Minnesota pick) question ?
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
The Knicks don’t have their 2012 or 2014 first-round picks. Under NBA rules, the Knicks can’t trade a first-round pick until 2016 because a team can’t be without a pick in back-to-back years. The Knicks’ 2012 pick is with Houston from the Tracy McGrady deal and the 2014 pick went to Denver.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/paul_not_thinking_about_trade_rumors_Ear2GIKpe5rO5GhndtZjgP#ixzz1fZnX04vE

Is it about not having (any pick) in back to back years ? Or only 1st round picks ? They had the 47th pick in this years draft so they are able to trade their Minnesota pick to the Hornets ?

Re: The Clippers (Minnesota pick) question ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Knicks don’t have their 2012 or 2014 first-round picks. Under NBA rules, the Knicks can’t trade a first-round pick until 2016 because a team can’t be without a pick in back-to-back years. The Knicks’ 2012 pick is with Houston from the Tracy McGrady deal and the 2014 pick went to Denver.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/paul_not_thinking_about_trade_rumors_Ear2GIKpe5rO5GhndtZjgP#ixzz1fZnX04vE

Is it about not having (any pick) in back to back years ? Or only 1st round picks ? They had the 47th pick in this years draft so they are able to trade their Minnesota pick to the Hornets ?

In a nutshell, the Clippers can't deal their Minnesota pick next year unless they pick up another #1 somewhere in trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

In a nutshell, the Clippers can't deal their Minnesota pick next year unless they pick up another #1 somewhere in trade.

Not sure I am following.  The rule is that the team cannot trade away their only first round draft pick in consecutive drafts.  

The only draft pick the Clips owe is their pick to the C's that is top 10 protected.  If the pick goes to the C's in 2012, then they could still trade the Minnesota pick, because they would be guaranteed their own pick in 2013.  If the pick rolls over to 2013, they could still trade the Minnesota pick, because they would be guaranteed their own pick in 2012.

So, in any scenario, they will not have less than 1 first round picks in consecutive future drafts.  What they did in past drafts is irrelevant to this rule.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not sure I am following.  The rule is that the team cannot trade away their only first round draft pick in consecutive drafts.  

The only draft pick the Clips owe is their pick to the C's that is top 10 protected.  If the pick goes to the C's in 2012, then they could still trade the Minnesota pick, because they would be guaranteed their own pick in 2013.  If the pick rolls over to 2013, they could still trade the Minnesota pick, because they would be guaranteed their own pick in 2012.

So, in any scenario, they will not have less than 1 first round picks in consecutive future drafts.  What they did in past drafts is irrelevant to this rule.

Yeah, I think you're right.  The rule doesn't prevent trades in consecutive drafts, it prevents it in consecutive future drafts.  So, they should be able to be pickless in this year's draft, as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
That's correct, previous drafts doesn't count only future picks. I looked it up.

The Clippers should not do any trade, that pick could be Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis caliber player. In addition to their young core Gordon,Griffin,Jordan, it's the wrong time for the Clippers to trade now.

I'm also hoping for this as I don't want them beating us by getting CP3.