Author Topic: Celtics should try to bring Big Al Jefferson, now is the moment Danny.  (Read 25036 times)

Re: Celtics should try to bring Big Al Jefferson, now is the moment Danny.
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
ig Al, I think, is in his last year of his contract. Whether we resign him or not, the only way we get DH is by trading Rondo, Green, BBD and our Clips and our own pick....Highly unlikely that deal gets consummated.

I think we have a one percent chance of signing Howard.

I'd put it at 25%, everything for the most part has to fall in place. However a guy like DeAndre Jordan I would love to see in green, that dude is a defensive machine

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
ig Al, I think, is in his last year of his contract. Whether we resign him or not, the only way we get DH is by trading Rondo, Green, BBD and our Clips and our own pick....Highly unlikely that deal gets consummated.

I think we have a one percent chance of signing Howard.

I'd put it at 25%, everything for the most part has to fall in place. However a guy like DeAndre Jordan I would love to see in green, that dude is a defensive machine

Unfortunately, unless they go all in for Dwight, it looks like they're keeping DeAndre Jordan

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
This team was built on defense...so of course the answer to all of this teams woes is to re-acquire a player who plays probably the worst post defense in the league...makes total sense.

it does, because as others have noted our team was at its best last year with Shaq at center, who at that stage of his career was a horrible defender.

what this team is missing right now is offense.  even with interchangeable parts, they've managed to stay near the top of the league in defense.  its the inconsistent, frequently stagnant, jumpshot-heavy offense and sub-par rebounding that hurts this team more than anything else.  al jefferson would help with both of those problems.

Yes but for every 4 points that Big Al scores, he would allow 6-8. We've seen this before from him, he was a frustrating player to watch at times. I'm curious if our obsession with youth and rebuilding is clouding the judgement here, maybe its the fact that he was a Celtics draft pick is the reason so many people have been attempting to figure out scenarios in order to get Al back. But why? and where would he fit? center? hes undersized for that spot as is and is a much more effective 4. So you're either rolling with Jefferson at the 5 and getting dominated by the DH12's of the world, or you end up using him on the second team and wasting 12 million dollars since KG never gets off the court.

I'm not sure that Al is worth the long term money, but I do think he'd be a significant net positive to our team. I think his defensive shortcomings at center are a little overblown. Additionally, we have the defense to cover for him in many ways, and what our defesne lacks (defensive rebounding, which is a part of defense) Al actually is a net positive. The offense would be unquestionably better with a real low post threat.

Edit: In fact, looking at last year according to 82games he was credited with time at both PF and C, with vastly more time at C. At PF, he posted an offensive PER of 16.9 and allowed an opponent PF of 24.4. Terrible. However, at Center, (where he'd play here) he posted a 21.2 PER on offense and allowed opposing centers a 16.6.  I think our team could greatly use such contributions at the Center spot.

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Offensive Centers are not as common as they used to be.  Howard is probably the best.    Noah and the HEAT do not have one.  The Lakers do when Bynum is healthy.  NYC when they play Amare there has one.   But a lot of the league is devoid of offensive centers down low.   Would this help Al, it might.

Really depends on what Danny's goal is in all reality.   Does he go all in for Dwight?   Does he go another route.  He needs to decide what he is going to do with Rondo first.  Does he rebuilt around a half court mindset or a running mindset.  Good teams can do both.

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Acquiring Big Al might not take the C's out of the running for Dwight Howard.

It would cost them the cap space to sign Dwight outright but A.Jefferson could become a useful trade asset in a either a deadline deal or a potential sign and trade for D.Howard.

Gives Orlando a 20-10 threat, one of the best low post scorers in the league. Maybe a couple of future pick(s) and/or the Clippers pick ... that would create a pretty good trade package.

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
My response in the other Big Al thread...

Quote from: chambers on Today at 08:53:26 am
Quote from: dark_lord on Today at 08:37:12 am
Quote from: jaketwice on Yesterday at 11:57:04 pm
We need to S&T Jeff Green and send Jermaine O'Neal to Utah in exchange for
Al Jefferson. Then we need to sign Tayshaun Prince.

After he's amnesty'd, we'll up pick Baron Davis.

We win!

wishful thinking.  why in the world would utah want green and o'neil and give away big al?!?!

stranger things have happened. I mean I don't think the Jazz would do it. But for arguments sake:

1)Jazz get a young swingman to run with Kanter and Favors, whilst getting JO's expiring contract.

2) I'm pretty sure Big Al is on about 12 million a year.
Getting Green at about 6.5 and JO at 6 million means they get the young guy and JO who can sit on the bench and come in and play a few minutes- he'd be very handy if they made the playoffs somehow.

Point is that JO comes off the books next year so they'd get Jeff Green and the extra cap room next year from JO, whilst getting rid of Al Jefferson's cap hogging contract that they have now fixed/filled with two younger studs. They'd rather spend the money on someone they need like a nice PG or SG.
If Jeff Green isn't fitting in they can move him but they'd try him for a while I think. Nice young core to build around.

Big Al is definitely on the block in Utah.Hes got a big contract and they are in total rebuilding mode. Big Al has proven on two terrible teams that he cant be a leader to get them out of the bottom, and the would good team he played for, the jazz, fell apart as soon as he arrived.

I dont want Big Al back as much as I used to like him. He can put points up on the board with his unorthidox scoring, but he cant play a lick of defense and isnt that great of a passer. On the defensive end he looks completely lost. He may look good on paper but he doesnt have the winners mentality needed to come back and help the Celtics win. Al will always be a stud putting up big numbers on bad teams.

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

It would cost them the cap space to sign Dwight outright but A.Jefferson could become a useful trade asset in a either a deadline deal or a potential sign and trade for D.Howard.

Gives Orlando a 20-10 threat, one of the best low post scorers in the league. Maybe a couple of future pick(s) and/or the Clippers pick ... that would create a pretty good trade package.

I think he would have to have a big year here for that to happen.

I think his stock has taken quite  hit over the years.

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think he would have to have a big year here for that to happen.

I think his stock has taken quite  hit over the years.

It would require Dwight Howard to refuse a trade to anywhere else + tell Orlando that he would either leave for nothing or that they can make a deal with Boston and get something back for him.

Anything short of that and I agree, the deal is a non-starter. Easily beaten by other offers around the league.

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Big Al is definitely on the block in Utah.Hes got a big contract and they are in total rebuilding mode. Big Al has proven on two terrible teams that he cant be a leader to get them out of the bottom, and the would good team he played for, the jazz, fell apart as soon as he arrived.

I dont want Big Al back as much as I used to like him. He can put points up on the board with his unorthidox scoring, but he cant play a lick of defense and isnt that great of a passer. On the defensive end he looks completely lost. He may look good on paper but he doesnt have the winners mentality needed to come back and help the Celtics win. Al will always be a stud putting up big numbers on bad teams.
Big Al does not need to be a star on the Celtics. He does not need to the lead the team.

He can be a one dimensional scorer here and succeed ... because the Big Three and Rondo will do the heavy lifting for him and for the team as a whole. Big Al just needs to round out the team. Give it something it's missing (interior scoring, shot-creation). Be the fourth or fifth best player on the roster. He is capable of that.

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Edit: In fact, looking at last year according to 82games he was credited with time at both PF and C, with vastly more time at C. At PF, he posted an offensive PER of 16.9 and allowed an opponent PF of 24.4. Terrible. However, at Center, (where he'd play here) he posted a 21.2 PER on offense and allowed opposing centers a 16.6.  I think our team could greatly use such contributions at the Center spot.

Yeah, I think that's the important distinction.  Big Al is like the opposite of Amare -- at power forward, he's above average offensively and terrible defensively.  At center, he's very good offensively and about average defensively.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Edit: In fact, looking at last year according to 82games he was credited with time at both PF and C, with vastly more time at C. At PF, he posted an offensive PER of 16.9 and allowed an opponent PF of 24.4. Terrible. However, at Center, (where he'd play here) he posted a 21.2 PER on offense and allowed opposing centers a 16.6.  I think our team could greatly use such contributions at the Center spot.

Yeah, I think that's the important distinction.  Big Al is like the opposite of Amare -- at power forward, he's above average offensively and terrible defensively.  At center, he's very good offensively and about average defensively.

Defensively, Big Al is one of the worst centers in the league.

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this but how ironic would it be if we kept Green while aquiring big Al, the 2 centerpieces around the KG and Ray trade. 

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Yeah, I think that's the important distinction.  Big Al is like the opposite of Amare -- at power forward, he's above average offensively and terrible defensively.  At center, he's very good offensively and about average defensively.

eh . . . that's got to depend on the type of center he's facing.  against traditional centers, he can't be worse than Javale McGee, Amare, Andris Biedrins etc.  Against more agile, away from the basket guys, I'm sure he's pretty bad . . . but he's can't be much worse than guys like BBD / Perk / Shaq against those types.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Big Al does not need to be a star on the Celtics. He does not need to the lead the team.

He can be a one dimensional scorer here and succeed ... because the Big Three and Rondo will do the heavy lifting for him and for the team as a whole. Big Al just needs to round out the team. Give it something it's missing (interior scoring, shot-creation). Be the fourth or fifth best player on the roster. He is capable of that.

I think that Al would be somewhat filling the "Shaq role" from last year. He'll also help out a lot with scoring down the stretch, over the last 3 years he's been top 20-30 in clutch scoring but also been top 3 or so in efg% among the top 30 scorers. Put him on a team with better players, he'll receive less attention from the defense and have an even easier time scoring.

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

He's actually more than capable at guarding his man, but is pretty bad at help defense and needs to be paired with a good team defender...fortunately that's KG's single best attribute.