Author Topic: Celtics should try to bring Big Al Jefferson, now is the moment Danny.  (Read 25037 times)

Re: Celtics should try to bring Big Al Jefferson, now is the moment Danny.
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'd take Big Al for Green and O'Neal.

I'd be interested however it leaves still leaves us short i big and 1 wing.
we'd have 5 players under contract and limited resources to fill out the roster.

would a starting five of rondo, allen, pierce, KG and AJ be good enough to make up for a bargain bin bench?

hypo bench:

delonte / bradley
wafer / moore
grant hill
jjj / wilcox
kwame brown / okur (amnestied)

with that bench, or one like it, we'd be fine.

rondo, west
Allen, marquise daniels
pierce, shane battier
 KG, JJJ
AJ, ?

would still need depth at 4 and a tough guy center.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We lack sorely in post offense.   We have for years.   KG likes the 15 footer.  Perk was never a post player.   PP can when he wants to depending on the match up.  We have not had a top notch offensive post player since Big Al left.  Guys like that are rare.   But this would kill the rebuild plan next year that all assume is a run at Dwight.   I think our chances of getting Dwight are small to begin with. 

No trade is perfect.  We are an old team with more holes than Swiss Cheese.  We got a good foursome as long as it stays healthy.

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
We lack sorely in post offense....Guys like that are rare.   But this would kill the rebuild plan next year that all assume is a run at Dwight. I think our chances of getting Dwight are small to begin with. 

Big Al, I think, is in his last year of his contract. Whether we resign him or not, the only way we get DH is by trading Rondo, Green, BBD and our Clips and our own pick....Highly unlikely that deal gets consummated.

Howard will not enter free agency. He loses too much $$$. He will either sign with the Magic or the team that the Magic trades him to. We'll have to be obscenely lucky to get him via trade.

Big Al is a pretty good consolation prize that doesn't cost us Rondo. We can also let him expire or S&T him, if things don't work out at season's end.

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Big Al gives us a low post scorer and a boost to our offense overall which we also need. I'd take him over O'Neal and his injury history and Green.

Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, Jefferson is a nice starting 5. West is a nice combo guard off the bench. Let's say we sign Grant Hill (MLE) and say Reggie Evans, Kwame Brown for cheap. That's not a bad bench.

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
ig Al, I think, is in his last year of his contract. Whether we resign him or not, the only way we get DH is by trading Rondo, Green, BBD and our Clips and our own pick....Highly unlikely that deal gets consummated.

I think we have a one percent chance of signing Howard.

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »

Offline Liam W

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
AL Jefferson could be our perfect Center going forward, Someone who scores back to the basket + also gets it moving on the other end of the court.

I dont know how trades work. well i do and i dont. If we were wanting to take on salary can we do trades to an extent?

Like i said im not 100% sure. I know certain salaries have to match up etc

But if Jefferson was back in Bean Town then Id be happy. because Center is a glaring weakness for this team + it needs addressing ASAP

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:52:21 PM by Liam W »

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I love this idea. BIG AL!

Going forward, we'd have Pierce, Big Al, Rondo, and tons of cap room.

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I would love to bring Big Al back. He's one of my favorite players and has developed into a low post machine. lets get him

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 01:30:54 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Would they really want JO and JG though? Plus the pick?

I'm not too worried about his defense. Our system works great. Shaq wasn't too much of a liability last year on team defense where he lacks (esp. on Pn'R defense).

Al Jeff and Rondo plus a ton of cap space makes me feel much better about our future than renting Chris Paul and banking on Dwight with Paul. If the latter blows, we'd have Paul Pierce to build around.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:43:32 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Anyone who thinks Big Al is a better compliment to Rondo than Jeff Green....don't know jack about bball.

Al's game isn't conducive to Rondo and vice versa.

Delonte West game is conducive to Big Al's game. Heck even Von Wafer's game is conducive to Big Al's game.

Jeff Green's game IS conducive to Rondo's game and vice versa.

These two are the perfect compliment.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 01:59:49 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Anyone who thinks Big Al is a better compliment to Rondo than Jeff Green....don't know jack about bball.

Delonte West game is conducive to Big Al's game. Heck even Von Wafer's game is conducive to Big Al's game.

um . . . how is a go-to inside scorer not conducive to rondo's game?

if perk was at all conducive to rondo's game i have no idea how big al isn't.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:21:44 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 02:44:46 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

I believe the theory is:
   Al Jefferson would get double teamed because the defense doesn't have to respect Rondo's jumper.  Jefferson works better with a point guard who can spread the floor and allow him to operate on the inside. 
   Jeff Green can beat most forwards in the league running up and down the floor.  This would allow the Celtics to push the pace and get easy points because Rondo is a very good passer. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 03:09:39 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I believe the theory is:
   Al Jefferson would get double teamed because the defense doesn't have to respect Rondo's jumper.  Jefferson works better with a point guard who can spread the floor and allow him to operate on the inside.  
   Jeff Green can beat most forwards in the league running up and down the floor.  This would allow the Celtics to push the pace and get easy points because Rondo is a very good passer.  

Shaq was fine and he probably commands the double team more with his strength/size.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:25:02 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 05:01:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes, because Shaq and Rondo struggled so much on the court together last year...

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
This team was built on defense...so of course the answer to all of this teams woes is to re-acquire a player who plays probably the worst post defense in the league...makes total sense.

it does, because as others have noted our team was at its best last year with Shaq at center, who at that stage of his career was a horrible defender.

what this team is missing right now is offense.  even with interchangeable parts, they've managed to stay near the top of the league in defense.  its the inconsistent, frequently stagnant, jumpshot-heavy offense and sub-par rebounding that hurts this team more than anything else.  al jefferson would help with both of those problems.

Yes but for every 4 points that Big Al scores, he would allow 6-8. We've seen this before from him, he was a frustrating player to watch at times. I'm curious if our obsession with youth and rebuilding is clouding the judgement here, maybe its the fact that he was a Celtics draft pick is the reason so many people have been attempting to figure out scenarios in order to get Al back. But why? and where would he fit? center? hes undersized for that spot as is and is a much more effective 4. So you're either rolling with Jefferson at the 5 and getting dominated by the DH12's of the world, or you end up using him on the second team and wasting 12 million dollars since KG never gets off the court.